• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

My Christmas beer order just arrived. Doubt I'll get to Christmas without having to order again...

View attachment 8943

Can't get Weihenstephaner in shops here so I got the remainder of the stock from an online retailer, can't wait to get cracking.
You're in for a real treat Alpha. Weihenstephaner is absolutely the bomb. Vitus is the best one imo. Dunkel is also wonderful.

You're in for a real treat Alpha. Weihenstephaner is absolutely the bomb. Vitus is the best one imo. Dunkel is also wonderful.
Tried the Helles last night, it was "just" a very very good beer, enjoyed it but not the one I'm most excited about. I'll try the vitus during the match later.

I liked the chimay triple too, different to German wheat beers but it would be a perfect beer to have by the fire on a cold day.

Tried the Helles last night, it was "just" a very very good beer, enjoyed it but not the one I'm most excited about. I'll try the vitus during the match later.

I liked the chimay triple too, different to German wheat beers but it would be a perfect beer to have by the fire on a cold day.
Have you got a Weiss bier glass to drink them from?

Not a proper one nah, I make do with a few thin, tall pint glasses. Been looking for a proper glass.
Erdinger Pint Glass

Erdinger Pint Glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WWDL71L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_oX0YFbBF0QENT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

yeh worth getting one if you really enjoy the Weiss biers. I've got this one from Eridinger. The bulge at the top holds the head. But bit difficult to wash the bottom as it's so narrow.

Also got a Weihenstephaner 500ml glass as well.

Erdinger Pint Glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WWDL71L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_oX0YFbBF0QENT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

yeh worth getting one if you really enjoy the Weiss biers. I've got this one from Eridinger. The bulge at the top holds the head. But bit difficult to wash the bottom as it's so narrow.

Also got a Weihenstephaner 500ml glass as well.
Thanks! Was thinking I'd need to get one online but was hoping I'd see one in a shop, definitely worth the purchase though.

Is Weihenstephaner a good beer? I never heard about it before.
Also never thought different types of glasses can really complement somehow a beer :rolleyes: I know there's a kind of "guide" what beer goes in what glass

Also never thought different types of glasses can really complement somehow a beer :rolleyes: I know there's a kind of "guide" what beer goes in what glass
I think @The_Blindside is the resident expert but I've always liked German beers and have really got into weisse over lockdown. Weihenstephaner was always at the top of any lists of must try German beer which is why I put the order in. My favourite is the franziskaner hefe-weisse and I'm looking forward to see how they compare.

I think @The_Blindside is the resident expert but I've always liked German beers and have really got into weisse over lockdown. Weihenstephaner was always at the top of any lists of must try German beer which is why I put the order in. My favourite is the franziskaner hefe-weisse and I'm looking forward to see how they compare.

Ah you flatter me too much. Alpha. :)

Yes, it's one of the best I have tried of the German beers, which I have become a big fan of in recent years. Spreading the love of Hefeweizens in particular, but they do other style of beers like Helles as Alpha can testify to. The glass makes a difference I think because of the way a proper hefeweizen glass holds the head and a nice frothy head, which stays as you drink it, adds to the flavour of it.

You can't go wrong with Weihenstephaner, Schneider Weisse (trying to get through all of their tap series) and Paulaner IMO.

Vitus is class, my favourite one I've had so far! Just cracked one open.

******* lethal at 7.7% I'd imagine.
Doesn't taste it does it. Yeh just silky smooth for a Weizenboch with that high an ABV. You compare that one to the normal W Hefeweizen you drink, which is around 5.4% ABV.

In the beer community there a few beers, a very select group, that are so good and have been brewed consistently for so long that they have become the bar with which every other beer in a particular style will be measured. Du Pont's Saison, Cantillon's Lambics, Fuller's ESBs, Duvel's Belgian Ale's, Westmalle's Tripels, Urquell's bohemian pilsner, etc

Weihenstephan is the gold standard for heffeweissbier.

Thought it was a very interesting documentary from Adrian Chiles. Missed it first time it was shown on BBC. Don't personally drink anything like 14 units a week, but how many peeps here who do drink know what a unit of alcohol even is?

Thought it was a very interesting documentary from Adrian Chiles. Missed it first time it was shown on BBC. Don't personally drink anything like 14 units a week, but how many peeps here who do drink know what a unit of alcohol even is?
Toyed with the idea of completely giving the booze up a number of times. I would say most people between 30 and 60 in the UK have a bad drinking habit which isn't helped with all the positive reinforcement on social media. In my last marriage me and my ex would get through a couple of wine bottles a night and it was a proper issue to me but my ex didn't think necking a couple of bottles of wine between us every night was a problem. In the end we amicably went our separate ways and I completely knocked it on the head for a while, felt great and had loads of money I didn't realise I had before. I tend to stick to popping to the local now when the rugby is on but with lockdown and everything I have had beer and wine at home again.

As much as I like beer, wine and whisky I know my relationship with it is wrong, I know I should really pack it in as it does me no favours and just costs money. At 45 I need to start look after my health a bit and think binning the beer forever would be a good idea.

Sorry that was a bit heavy!

Latest posts