• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

So I've just received a bottle of Breton whisky for my birthday, to go with the Pennsylvanian Rye I also got. About to crack it open, will let you guys know details later.

A long time later, the Breton whisky made me think of Islay without the smoke, which is a very good thing indeed.

Someone needs to lay off the WKD, Strongbow and/or White Lightning before they post on a forum.

WD40 more like!!

We used to top up our bitter with Sweet Mountain Wine from Yates's Wine Lodge in our early drinking days!

It was almost near neat alcohol.......guess not many remember tasting that it or even Yates's!!!

Really getting into my Real Cask Ales. Any recommendations?

Having a pint of old brewery bitter from a Samuel Smith pub in London which cost me £2.90. Unbelievable that you can still get a pint in London for less than £3. Just find real ale more tasty and less gassy than lager.

Having a pint of old brewery bitter from a Samuel Smith pub in London which cost me £2.90. Unbelievable that you can still get a pint in London for less than £3. Just find real ale more tasty and less gassy than lager.

100% agree about beer over chemically produced lager!

Last time in the smoke in an ordinary pub, one pint and small glass of red for herself (vine very ordinaire) 11.75!!!!

100% agree about beer over chemically produced lager!

Last time in the smoke in an ordinary pub, one pint and small glass of red for herself (vine very ordinaire) 11.75!!!!

Ouch that is expensive for two drinks, even by London standards. If you're down again here, then try and find a Samuel Smith pub or Wetherspoons if you want relatively cheap drinks (by London standards).

Some recommended real ales/mostly bitters I've tried recently:

1. London Pride - a classic. Malty, fruity. Great balance flavour. A personal favourite of mine.
2. Timothy Taylor Landlord pale ale. In draught and bottle. Very light and a great Spring time drink.
3. St. Austell's Tribute. Cornish Pale ale.
4. Deuchars IPA by Caledonian.
5. Sussex Best bitter by Harveys.
6. Junction bitter by Sambrookes. Nice Plumby overtones.

Ouch that is expensive for two drinks, even by London standards. If you're down again here, then try and find a Samuel Smith pub or Wetherspoons if you want relatively cheap drinks (by London standards).

Some recommended real ales/mostly bitters I've tried recently:

1. London Pride - a classic. Malty, fruity. Great balance flavour. A personal favourite of mine.
2. Timothy Taylor Landlord pale ale. In draught and bottle. Very light and a great Spring time drink.
3. St. Austell's Tribute. Cornish Pale ale.
4. Deuchars IPA by Caledonian.
5. Sussex Best bitter by Harveys.
6. Junction bitter by Sambrookes. Nice Plumby overtones.

Had London Pride on Sunday evening at the bar on mezzanine level at Paddington (which can recommend by the way) and very good for a softie southerner!!

Old Hooky and Windrush (by North Cotswold brewery) are worth a go when available!

Had London Pride on Sunday evening at the bar on mezzanine level at Paddington (which can recommend by the way) and very good for a softie southerner!!

Old Hooky and Windrush (by North Cotswold brewery) are worth a go when available!

Cheers for the heads up. Will certainly sample those if I come across them.

I love some of the names given to these beers; only adds o he character of them. http://www.northcotswoldbrewery.co.uk/our-beers/. Pint of Shagweaver please.:D

Last edited:

Latest posts