• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

"Our New England, Old School IPA"

I've been a fan of some of their stuff for over a decade, and they both know their beers, brewing and history, but every now and then i have to ask myself if they've lost the plot of something.

I like Brewdog stuff, they were just about to open one of their spots here in Dublin . Pricey as all hell though.

Brewdog pubs in London. But bloody expensive for a pint like £6-7 a pint.

I like Brewdog stuff, took advantage of their free delivery offer a few weeks ago and bought £62 worth. I do find their pubs a bit expensive but never been to one where it's £7 for a pint.

It's London though, I thought everywhere was £7 a pint? :p

The pubs I have been to in London I tend to go for cask ale beer like London Pride, Tribute, TTL and they typically go for between £4-5 a pint. And you're looking at paying that for other lagers, Guinness, which people drink unless they're wine drinkers.

For me it's more about quality than quantity so have a few pints is gonna set me back typically under £20 and I rarely go out to pubs to get sloshed nowadays and prefer to have a meal with it.

It will be interesting if Government will do anything to help the pub and hospitality industry post CV-19 like slashing tax on alcohol in pubs/business rates to help because the pub industry all over the country, not just London was dying a silent death even before this and will be decimated by the crisis.

@The_Blindside where are you getting your beers from? I've been getting in to lighter beers since the weather has improved and am keen to try those that you've posted, but can't find the Weihenstephaner Vitus anywhere and would rather try a couple of bottles of Schneider Weisse Tap 7 before I commit to a case.

I had a bottle of Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier Naturtrüb last week and thought it was superb, although it was my wife's birthday, so I was a few under by the time I had it. I just managed to pick up the last couple of bottles available on Amazon for £2.16 each (thanks Keepa). Tesco seem to have Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier on a 4 for £6 perma-offer, so that has become my everyday beer. Not as much depth of flavour and (like so many others) wildly over carbonated for my taste, but I can make my peace with it at the price.

@The_Blindside where are you getting your beers from? I've been getting in to lighter beers since the weather has improved and am keen to try those that you've posted, but can't find the Weihenstephaner Vitus anywhere and would rather try a couple of bottles of Schneider Weisse Tap 7 before I commit to a case.

I had a bottle of Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier Naturtrüb last week and thought it was superb, although it was my wife's birthday, so I was a few under by the time I had it. I just managed to pick up the last couple of bottles available on Amazon for £2.16 each (thanks Keepa). Tesco seem to have Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier on a 4 for £6 perma-offer, so that has become my everyday beer. Not as much depth of flavour and (like so many others) wildly over carbonated for my taste, but I can make my peace with it at the price.

Beers of Europe. Just google them to Check out their website. They do deliveries all over the UK. If they have sold out of the beers you want then check out Beautiful Beers. I have not Tried them yet for delivery, only Beers of Europe. They are both more expensive for the beers, which you can't get in the supermarkets.

yep, I also had a Paulauner Hefeweizen naturub and it's well up there with Weihenstephaner for me. Franziskaner is as you said freely available at Tescos. Prefer it to Erdinger, which I no longer rate. Reichbacher is a very good cheap alternative from Aldi at £1.25 a bottle.

The Vitus you're looking at between £3.50 and £4 a bottle. Yes, very expensive so only got myself 4 bottles and will savour them with others I bought.

Got my mate a case of 10 different German beers including Hefeweizens and Helles as a thank you for helping me with something. He was well chuffed.

Last edited:
Would murder someone for a nice draft pint of Doombar...

the cask version? oh yeah that is nice. you can still get the bottle version, but it's not bottle conditioned. or find a pub near you doing take away of the cask version.

Beers of Europe. Just google them to Check out their website. They do deliveries all over the UK. If they have sold out of the beers you want then check out Beautiful Beers. I have not Tried them yet for delivery, only Beers of Europe. They are both more expensive for the beers, which you can't get in the supermarkets.

yep, I also had a Paulauner Hefeweizen naturub and it's well up there with Weihenstephaner for me. Franziskaner is as you said freely available at Tescos. Prefer it to Erdinger, which I no longer rate. Reichbacher is a very good cheap alternative from Aldi at £1.25 a bottle.

The Vitus you're looking at between £3.50 and £4 a bottle. Yes, very expensive so only got myself 4 bottles and will savour them with others I bought.

Got my mate a case of 10 different German beers including Hefeweizens and Helles as a thank you for helping me with something. He was well chuffed.

Thanks for that, all very useful. Beers of Europe were out of stock, but Beautiful Beers have it at the moment, I'll keep both in mind for my next order.

the cask version? oh yeah that is nice. you can still get the bottle version, but it's not bottle conditioned. or find a pub near you doing take away of the cask version.
Yes. My local does/did a fabulous pint of it. Just want it to open and this hell to end!

Yes. My local does/did a fabulous pint of it. Just want it to open and this hell to end!

Yep, with you on that one TS. I l can't wait for the Cock and Lion pub to open up again, which does 4 of my favourite cask ales from the pump, London Pride, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Tribute and Doom Bar. One of the few pubs I have come across that does all 4 on cask. Can happily spend a Saturday afternoon and have one of each, with the rugby or footy in the background.

Last edited:
038B9CC4-7F43-4BE4-996E-64070D73E4F7.jpeg

The future of pubs? Everyone wearing face shields like in Japan? Still uncomfortable to wear and can you imagine sneezing and the mess you'd make of the shield.:oops::D

Just walked past my local pub. The first one i got served at when I was 17. Happy memories. I remember the pub being packed and being served by the landlord who asked me and my mate if we were 18, which we replied of course. Proceeded to serve us 7/8 pints and a whiskey chaser and we got absolutely hammered. Was sick that night and very, very lucky I didn't f'ing choke in my sleep.

Now the pub's got a closed and for sale sign outside. Took a picture for old times sake before they inevitably turn it into flats/houses. A sign of the times and more and more pubs I feel are not going to reopen again.

Latest posts