• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Calzhage was a cherry picker with a false unbeaten record!

I don't really agree. He should have gone to America a lot earlier but I don't think he dodged any fights. It's not as if Bernard Hopkins was an easy beat (although Roy Jones Jr was clearly very far past it).

I know its silly but my biggest issue with Deontay is his chicken legs. I just can't believe in the modern age we can have a heavyweight champ with legs as skinny as a 60 kg woman.

The bloke is 6ft 7 and has a solid upper body and he still only weighs 99kgs.

I have to see his potential before I believe it, I am not sold on his power yet.

Wilder is legit! The WBC now has a strong champ imo.

I'd say Wilder has the right to be a confident champ after that effort.

Stiverne is a tough man with excellent power but he had nothing for Wilder.

Stiverne was in a way made to order for Wilder. His counter punching style, along with low punch output meant Wilder could control the tempo and pick his moments. All he had to do was be defensively sound and it was easy for him. Stiverne was getting hurt regularly I kind of felt like he gave up after 8 or so rounds, when he was down by plenty he was too scared to take it to Wilder.

I doubted Wilder because he looked clumsy to me, just a windmilling slugger. I thought his power was overrated, I also thought he was a ko waiting to happen.

Wilder answered quite a few questions today.
Is he just a puncher? No, he has a good strong jab, he can control the distance. He has excellent head movement and has good defensive skills

Is his power legit? Yes, Stiverne's beard is strong and Wilder hurt him at will.

Can he go the distance? When he controls the tempo he can go for days.

Can he take a punch? I don't think he was really hit properly because he was too good. So not sure, but it will take a very good or very lucky fighter to find out.

Wilder easily beats Jennings imo. He's just all round a better fighter. Jennings isn't quick or powerful enough to beat Wilder. He's very skillful but Wilders length would be too much of an advantage especially coupled with his speed.

Wilder vs Fury, winner vs Klitschko. Thats what id like to see.

Last edited:
Didn't expect the fight to go the distance. Wilder finally has beaten someone who is legitimately in the top 10. Was interesting, he was pretty composed but he hit Stiverne with some massive shots and it wasn't enough to finish him - so his 33 (32) record doesn't look quite so intimidating. Still, got to hand it to him. The problem now is that I'm sure a fight with Fury is somewhere down the line, which means we're going to see two of the dumbest human beings who somehow think they're charismatic go at it with trash talking for a few months. Can't wait to see Wilder vs Klitschko after he's beaten Jennings.

Didn't expect the fight to go the distance. Wilder finally has beaten someone who is legitimately in the top 10. Was interesting, he was pretty composed but he hit Stiverne with some massive shots and it wasn't enough to finish him - so his 33 (32) record doesn't look quite so intimidating. Still, got to hand it to him. The problem now is that I'm sure a fight with Fury is somewhere down the line, which means we're going to see two of the dumbest human beings who somehow think they're charismatic go at it with trash talking for a few months. Can't wait to see Wilder vs Klitschko after he's beaten Jennings.

That was definitely a breakout win for Wilder, Stiverne by most accounts would be somewhere in the top 10. I consider Stiverne to be pretty much a Chisora level fighter, a good fighter, will beat most fighters but will lose to the elite. Wilder boxed Stiverne's ears off, I don't think many fighters could beat Stiverne so easily. I'd have to rate Wilder pretty highly after that effort. He would definitely be top 6, with a legit chance of beating all the other contenders. I don't think anyone can beat Wlad yet but you never know he could get old soon.

I kind of find Fury and Wilders persona's to be pretty hardcase. If they were to fight there would be a massive build up and it would bring a bit of excitement to the division. Wilder is a champion now, and he has as much right to call himself a champ as any other alphabet soup champ, but i still consider him a contender to Wlad.

Wilder vs Fury pits two larger than life, undefeated and charismatic heavyweights against each other. Styles wise it should be an exciting fight as well. Fury does like to go to war when he's in a fight and I don't see Wilder taking a backward step.

boooommmmbbb squaaaaaaadddddddd or baaaaaaaaammmmmmm squatttttttttttttttttt haha

Last edited:
So will Mayweather actually fight Pacquiao?

Looks more and more likely for a May 2nd bout.

Who knows.

It seems Mayweather and Bob Arum spend all their time coming up with reasons why the other doesn't want it to happen. Mayweather certainly seems to come off as the biggest prat in all of this (if people needed more reason to dislike him...). Arum also seems content to let the fight not happen in order to promote his own stable.

Who knows.

It seems Mayweather and Bob Arum spend all their time coming up with reasons why the other doesn't want it to happen. Mayweather certainly seems to come off as the biggest prat in all of this (if people needed more reason to dislike him...). Arum also seems content to let the fight not happen in order to promote his own stable.

I agree with you about Arum. He wants to destroy the Mayweather Brand. Floyd doesn't not seem to know how to capitalise on the brand he has created. He now has Stephen Espinoza Vice President of show time speaking to the press on his behalf. I am puzzled by the attitude of manny pacquio. Supporting the lies of Bob Arum in that they have agreed to the terms of the contract. Perhaps he doesn't want the fight!

I agree with you about Arum. He wants to destroy the Mayweather Brand. Floyd doesn't not seem to know how to capitalise on the brand he has created. He now has Stephen Espinoza Vice President of show time speaking to the press on his behalf. I am puzzled by the attitude of manny pacquio. Supporting the lies of Bob Arum in that they have agreed to the terms of the contract. Perhaps he doesn't want the fight!

Floyd Mayweather pulls more money than any boxer in the world by a ridiculously huge margin, and has Al Hayman behind him (who is a very financially clever guy). I have no idea what you mean that he doesn't know how to capitalize on his brand. By the sounds of it he is dictating every terms in the fight - the date, the venue, the blood testing and the cut (at this stage looking like 60/40 in favor of Floyd - so the rumor mill on the internet says...). Floyd is certainly making the absolute most of his position, to the point he seems like he's happy to throw the fight away. His constant tirades against Pacquio on social media about how he got knocked out against Marquez two years ago, while then saying he wants the fight, but then saying he was to have absolute control of the fight conditions. It's remarkable antagonism - but it certainly points to everything wrong with the sport of boxing. No meaningful international governing bodies just means that boxers can hold their alphabet belts without having to defend it against the best - or who the fans want to see. I have no idea why someone would pay to see a Mayweather fight, when he shows so much contempt to the fans by not fighting the guy everyone wants to see him fight..

In terms of Bob Arum, he's certainly not innocent in any of this but don't think he is trying to 'destroy the Mayweather brand'? I don't think anyone is being honest as to what contract conditions have or haven't been met. There is certainly no transparency, so the result from fans and speculative boxing media always just comes down to fanboyism. I'm certain Pacquiao of the two of them would want the fight, because it's ultimately his chance to get the biggest payday of his career (even with a 60/40 split) and he has more to gain from a win. A loss to Mayweather wouldn't hurt his reputation as much as the Marquez KO did anyway, while if he beats Mayweather he gets a ridiculously big boost in profile and financial opportunities.

Last edited:
Who's watching the Footy Show a Fight night liam Messam beating up on some bum they found out side the arena, SBW up soon.

And Chauncy Welliver yet again showed he has a great chin but absolutely no conditioning. Nothing about the SBW fight showed anything. Welliver barely threw a punch. SBW threw plenty but could not knock out a guy who looked like he was there entirely to get hit and make jokes...SBW totally deserved the win on points, but what a joke of a fight. The Messam fight was also a joke, he clearly was always going to win and the other guy looked like he was there to be KO'd, and Messam didn't do that in four rounds (with one round ending 48 seconds early mind you...).

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Welliver was paid to lose. Maybe not explicitly and maybe not by SBW but these guys definitely did not want to lose.

And Chauncy Welliver yet again showed he has a great chin but absolutely no conditioning. Nothing about the SBW fight showed anything. Welliver barely threw a punch. SBW threw plenty but could knock out a guy who looked like he was there entirely to get hit and make jokes...SBW totally deserved the win on points, but what a joke of a fight. The Messam fight was also a joke, he clearly was always going to win and the other guy looked like he was there to be KO'd, and Messam didn't do that in four rounds (with one round ending 48 seconds early mind you...).

Yea a pretty amateur set up. The Messam fight had a round end 48 sec early did you see his opponent who stopped fighting to walk over to his corner to blow his nose? Same with the Gallen fight a round ended 12 sec early and the ref took a break so he could muck around and try fix the ropes. SBW didn't look too bad he was never gonna ko the man, but did more than enough to win, hoping to see him fight someone who throws em back at him next time, I would like to see him knock that piece of shiit Gallen out come this time next year.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are both past it. Years ago this fight would have ground the world to a halt. Now I just don't find myself excited by these guys cashing in for a pension.
You want a real boxing rivalry Ward and Gatti were true warriors. Mayweather and Pac had the potential to create a comparable spectacle , a rivalry that would have lifted boxing from the gutter it now flows down.

I'm not excited by this.On the contrary I find it upsetting.

10 years ago, it's Rocky I. Now it's Rocky V (yes, you're trying to remember that one).
Shame really, but I think Pacman would have ruined Mayweather at their peaks, and hence the self-appointed greatest pound for pound fighter dodged him until now.

Well, I'm happy the fight is made. $89 (US) for a PPV is apparently the rate they are considering charging which is ridiculous. Yes it's sad that this fight didn't happen a lot earlier when they weren't in their late 30s - but both fighters are still P4P ranked pretty much on the top. What's more upsetting is the number of hoops that had to be jumped through for this fight to get made, certainly not a positive thing for boxing..

I think Mayweather will most likely win this one on UD - however I'll be exceptionally pleased if he loses.

Latest posts