• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Great interview with Eubank on sky when he said Collins had tears in his eyes before they fought. Collins was a bull, no style, just pure brute strength and endless hunger which overwhelmed Eubank.

Calzaghe for me is a wasted talent. After defeating Eubank he should have been over to the states and based there..fighting every big name out there in Vegas. Hindsights easy but there was nothing for him over here....Richie Woodhall?, Robin Reid?...just wasting time. Arguably the most talented boxer from these isles since the war, he could have gone down as an all time world great, ala Pacquiao, but he chose home comforts. Jones and Hopkins was too late, almost exhibition fights. Joe gets questioned "does he get the recognition he deserves", which pretty much says it all. Warren held him back.

The rematch is coming, Maidana vs Mayweather, 9/13, Las Vegas, Nevada.

I look forward to that but don't think it will be as close this time around, think Mayweather will adjust well to Maidana and liekly win by something e.g. 10 rounds to 2.

Fight time! Are Floyds legs shot as Freddie roach says or he still capable of showing the world that he is the best ever? Can't wait!

I see SBW is scheduled to fight Chauncey "***ties" Welliver in January. If Chauncey has trained at all it could be interesting. I don't rate his chances if he comes in, in the same shape he was against big daddy. Chauncey has some skill and a good chin but he's just a big fat lazy ***ty boy. He's only about 31sh but I have never seen a pro athlete in such a disgusting state. Lol I recall nick saying he'd like to see him fight Cameron but that would have been a terrible mismatch. Chauncey is a feather fisted punching bag at elite level. Prime Chauncey might beat SBW but not current one.

I see SBW is scheduled to fight Chauncey "***ties" Welliver in January. If Chauncey has trained at all it could be interesting. I don't rate his chances if he comes in, in the same shape he was against big daddy. Chauncey has some skill and a good chin but he's just a big fat lazy ***ty boy. He's only about 31sh but I have never seen a pro athlete in such a disgusting state. Lol I recall nick saying he'd like to see him fight Cameron but that would have been a terrible mismatch. Chauncey is a feather fisted punching bag at elite level. Prime Chauncey might beat SBW but not current one.

I saw one of his fights a while back and have to agree and isn't his record of late terrible like 5 or 6 losses in his last 8 fights?

I'd say Welliver should beat SBW. Welliver is old, over the hill and is always in remarkably poor shape. But he has a lot of heart and knows how to win on points - add to that he has an incredibly strong chin. Welliver should win on points, but I'd imagine when it goes to a decision (and it will as neither has particularly good power) it will go to SBW.

I'm far more interested in who Parker's next opponent will be. The heavyweight division is finally starting to look interesting again without watching a SBW fight...Wilder vs Stiverne will be really interesting as Wilder has an incredibly impressive if not remarkably padded record of 32 (32KO)-0 -0 while Stiverne is a good boxer but not a real champion IMHO. You have Fury who along with Deontay Wilder probably has half a brain sell, but is another undefeated prospect who is looking for that Klitschko fight. And then you have Anthony Joshua and Joseph Parker, both of who look like very young exciting prospects with good amateur pedigree being managed well. So who cared about SBW?

In fairness to Welliver- I don't think he has taken a fight on more than a weeks notice in the last few years. He was essentially used as Lucas Browne's punching bag in his last fight (ironically Browne is another hitter with a padded record by dodging credible opponents - but seems to think Welliver is a more credible option than Parker...). After Welliver lost to Solis he seemed to trim down quite a lot and became by the the most active heavyweight in the world. The problem is he has retired a number of times now after getting married - and now never has any conditioning it seems. Yes he has no power, but he is durable and has some decent boxing IQ. I think my Cameron vs Welliver matchup would have been better for Cameron than his last few fights ;).

Last edited:
I just saw Welliver fought Ustinov last week and he weighed a career high even more than he did against big daddy.

Chauncy is a tough bloke alright. Ustinov is decent and Welliver is so morbidly obese and he went the distance. I think I read once that Welliver has never touched the canvas and in the heavyweight division that is a great feat. I think only Oliver McCall has fought more rounds without going down apparently.

SBW just has to keep moving and he'll beat Chauncy. (Unless he comes in under 125 then watch out SBW.

I'm looking forward to Stiverne vs Wilder but I don't rate them worthy of being a legit world champion. Wlad is thd champ. Id have atleast Povetkin higher than them and probably a few others like Fury and Pulev. Parker and Joshua do look like excellent contenders for sure.

I wouldn't mind Wilder winning because then the yanks might start paying more attention to the division. Wilder has some good things going for him but I think Stiverne is going to hurt him. Id put Jennings as the best of the American heavyweights from what I have seen.

Last edited:
The thing with Wilder is that he just looks so sloppy, but he uses what he has to good effect. It's really very difficult to guess where he is actually at. Stiverne has some nice timing for a heavyweight, but he does get hit reasonably often. I actually thought he was getting fairly well beaten by Arreola before the KO (which was quite impressive). Against a big guy I'm not convinced that he won't just take a heck of a lot of shots at range. I'm not really very convinced with Fury. He beat Chisora again - but Chisora has never been an especially impressive fighter. He has no notable wins over anyone and was tailor made for Fury. Unlike Wilder I think Fury has no real power, a chin which is known to be a bit suspect, no hand speed. He has plenty of reach and is probably the better boxer - but again hasn't really beaten anyone notable, and looked wobbly on a few occasions.

Jennings is interesting, there is no doubt he has beaten better opponents than either of Fury or Wilder IMO in Mike Perez and Artur Szpilka (who just beat Adamek) - but I don't think he has the size or power to ever trouble Klitschko (although no current heavyweight will come close anyway).

The thing with Wilder is that he just looks so sloppy, but he uses what he has to good effect. It's really very difficult to guess where he is actually at. Stiverne has some nice timing for a heavyweight, but he does get hit reasonably often. I actually thought he was getting fairly well beaten by Arreola before the KO (which was quite impressive). Against a big guy I'm not convinced that he won't just take a heck of a lot of shots at range. I'm not really very convinced with Fury. He beat Chisora again - but Chisora has never been an especially impressive fighter. He has no notable wins over anyone and was tailor made for Fury. Unlike Wilder I think Fury has no real power, a chin which is known to be a bit suspect, no hand speed. He has plenty of reach and is probably the better boxer - but again hasn't really beaten anyone notable, and looked wobbly on a few occasions.

Jennings is interesting, there is no doubt he has beaten better opponents than either of Fury or Wilder IMO in Mike Perez and Artur Szpilka (who just beat Adamek) - but I don't think he has the size or power to ever trouble Klitschko (although no current heavyweight will come close anyway).

Arreola was winning until he got caught but I think that was Stiverne's game plan. He was just waiting to catch him with something massive and make a little statement. He had already easily ud Arreola previously. In the ***le fight he never looked the slightest bit worried or desperate and he was taking Arreola's best without blinking.

Wilder has a nice record on paper but his best win is a shocking dive from his best mate. He did win an Olympic bronze and he does have good hand speed. Im not sold on his power even with the knockout record his opponents never even tried imo. Stiverne is solid as a rock if Wilder ko's him ill believe it.

Tyson Fury unlike the above 2 is only 26 and he already has 3 wins better than their best Chisora x2 and Cunningham. He lost a whole year of his career waiting for Haye and Chisora fights. Fury is excellent at fighting like a big man against smaller guys Id like to see him fight a big guy. He does have good hand speed but its combination punching and ring craft that make him good. His chin is excellent he took the best punch Cunningham has ever thrown got back up and pummeled him. Ive seen Wilder knocked out cold with head gear on and knee's buckled by Chauncy Wellivers fatter clone.

Arreola was winning until he got caught but I think that was Stiverne's game plan. He was just waiting to catch him with something massive and make a little statement. He had already easily ud Arreola previously. In the ***le fight he never looked the slightest bit worried or desperate and he was taking Arreola's best without blinking.

Wilder has a nice record on paper but his best win is a shocking dive from his best mate. He did win an Olympic bronze and he does have good hand speed. Im not sold on his power even with the knockout record his opponents never even tried imo. Stiverne is solid as a rock if Wilder ko's him ill believe it.

Tyson Fury unlike the above 2 is only 26 and he already has 3 wins better than their best Chisora x2 and Cunningham. He lost a whole year of his career waiting for Haye and Chisora fights. Fury is excellent at fighting like a big man against smaller guys Id like to see him fight a big guy. He does have good hand speed but its combination punching and ring craft that make him good. His chin is excellent he took the best punch Cunningham has ever thrown got back up and pummeled him. Ive seen Wilder knocked out cold with head gear on and knee's buckled by Chauncy Wellivers fatter clone.

No way is his chin excellent. He got knocked down hard by a jumped up cruiserweight with a weak KO record, also got knocked down by some no name journeyman from Bosnia earlier in his career too. Wilder would probably spark him out quickly, Haye would have too, he will be found out as no threat after losing to Klitshko and faces top opponents.

No way is his chin excellent. He got knocked down hard by a jumped up cruiserweight with a weak KO record, also got knocked down by some no name journeyman from Bosnia earlier in his career too. Wilder would probably spark him out quickly, Haye would have too, he will be found out as no threat after losing to Klitshko and faces top opponents.
Klitschko is an ATG no shame losing to him.
Wilder has Stiverne problems let's see him win that one first. I'd rate Stiverne about Chisora level he's lost to Demetrius King and was losing to Ray Austin and Arreola before ko's but he's a legit threat.

Cunningham has tkoed Marco Huck whos an excellent fighter and he's beaten some good heavies. He's a legit gate keeper in the heavy division he got robbed against Adamek to. It was a great punch and Fury weatherd it easily and bashed Cunningham like no one else has.

Haye injured himself so he didn't have to fight Fury which says a lot. Fury is no Valuev he's got excellent coordination for a giant and good boxing ability. Smaller guys suit his style so there's a ? over how Fury would do against blokes his size. He did pretty much duck Price and Ustinov but I think they were both more to do with timing then anything. He easily beats those 2 Imo.

Last edited:
Klitschko is an ATG no shame losing to him.
Wilder has Stiverne problems let's see him win that one first. I'd rate Stiverne about Chisora level he's lost to Demetrius King and was losing to Ray Austin and Arreola before ko's but he's a legit threat.

Cunningham has koed Marco Huck whos an excellent fighter and he's beaten some good heavies. He's a legit gate keeper in the heavy division he got robbed against Adamek to. It was a great punch and Fury weatherd it easily and bashed Cunningham like no one else has.

Haye injured himself so he didn't have to fight Fury which says a lot. Fury is no Valuev he's got excellent coordination for a giant and good boxing ability. Smaller guys suit his style so there's a ? over how Fury would do against blokes his size he did pretty much duck Price and Ustinov but I think they were both mor to do with timing then anything. He easily beats those 2 Imo.

Fury's 'excellent coordination' was on good display here ...

Seriously, the idea that Haye ducked out of that fight is ridiculous. Haye had a legitimate injury, that was an easy fight and likely early KO otherwise. Way too fast, and unlike Cunningham who has only like a 30% KO percentage has a KO record at like 90%.

Fury will soon get exposed against better opposition, Joshua probably beats him now already, even Price topped him twice in amateurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fury's 'excellent coordination' was on good display here ...

Seriously, the idea that Haye ducked out of that fight is ridiculous. Haye had a legitimate injury, that was an easy fight and likely early KO otherwise. Way too fast, and unlike Cunningham who has only like a 30% KO percentage has a KO record at like 90%.

Fury will soon get exposed against better opposition, Joshua probably beats him now already, even Price topped him twice in amateurs.

When is Haye going to come out of retirement and fight Fury. He better do it before Fury gets exposed lol, the fight is worth a bit atm.

You're kidding yourself if you think Fury isn't coordinated for a 6ft9 giant. There aren't many his size to compare him with but he's as good as it gets.

Joshua is a far better prospect than Wilder. (Wilder shouldn't be a prospect though he's been pro for 6 years). Joshua might be a bit special, he's a threat to anyone bar Wlad imo even as a rookie. Lets not forget he's only 1 year younger than Fury though! I would heavily favour Fury if they fought today, I don't know in 2 years time though. He better not get a bit cocky and try to fight Wlad though because he won't be ready until he's 30 and Wlad should be retired by then. Heavyweights generally peak a bit older so we will probably see the best of both Fury and Joshua in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is Haye going to come out of retirement and fight Fury. He better do it before Fury gets exposed lol, the fight is worth a bit atm.

You're kidding yourself if you think Fury isn't coordinated for a 6ft9 giant. There aren't many his size to compare him with but he's as good as it gets.

Joshua is a far better prospect than Wilder. (Wilder shouldn't be a prospect though he's been pro for 6 years). Joshua might be a bit special, he's a threat to anyone bar Wlad imo even as a rookie. Lets not forget he's only 1 year younger than Fury though! I would heavily favour Fury if they fought today, I don't know in 2 years time though. He better not get a bit cocky and try to fight Wlad though because he won't be ready until he's 30 and Wlad should be retired by then. Heavyweights generally peak a bit older so we will probably see the best of both Fury and Joshua in a few years.

Punching yourself in the head isn't a sign of great coordination. He's just blustered his way through weak opposition, there's a few who would blast him out if they got a chance. There's nothing special about his skills, doesn't have standout knockout power, been knocked down by weak punching cruiserweights and journeymen, not the best technically, the only thing he's got going for him is his sheer bulk and size to overwhelm short weak punching opponents like Cunningham. Haye and Joshua both knock him out. The former is probably past it now after major shoulder surgery, Joshua schools him.

Great interview with Eubank on sky when he said Collins had tears in his eyes before they fought. Collins was a bull, no style, just pure brute strength and endless hunger which overwhelmed Eubank.

Calzaghe for me is a wasted talent. After defeating Eubank he should have been over to the states and based there..fighting every big name out there in Vegas. Hindsights easy but there was nothing for him over here....Richie Woodhall?, Robin Reid?...just wasting time. Arguably the most talented boxer from these isles since the war, he could have gone down as an all time world great, ala Pacquiao, but he chose home comforts. Jones and Hopkins was too late, almost exhibition fights. Joe gets questioned "does he get the recognition he deserves", which pretty much says it all. Warren held him back.

Oh god how is it I actually agree with you?

Punching yourself in the head isn't a sign of great coordination. He's just blustered his way through weak opposition, there's a few who would blast him out if they got a chance. There's nothing special about his skills, doesn't have standout knockout power, been knocked down by weak punching cruiserweights and journeymen, not the best technically, the only thing he's got going for him is his sheer bulk and size to overwhelm short weak punching opponents like Cunningham. Haye and Joshua both knock him out. The former is probably past it now after major shoulder surgery, Joshua schools him.

Joshua could be something very special if he reaches his potential. Too many questions he has to answer to consider him a favourite over Fury. You say Fury lacks coordination and its funny because one of Joshua's issue's is his stiffness and that he lacks fluidity in his combination punching. Many pundits have said it could be unnecessary muscle mass that's slowing him down and could lead to cardio problems when he gets in a real fight. No one ever says that about Fury. Also Haye is an ATG cruiserweight, he's a head 2 head threat against any fighter. Fury is well capable of beating him and Haye has good reason to keep hiding.

How many contenders have better wins than Fury ? Not that many and most that do have already lost to Wlad.

Last edited:
Stiverne vs Wilder is on sky sports 5 tomorrow.

Looking forward to see how Wilder goes. We already know Stiverne's level but Wilder is still a bit of an unknown. I am still picking Stiverne but I wouldn't bet on it.

Yep, have been pretty excited for it if I'm honest.

Didn't realize it was being shown on Sky Sport 5 though! Yay!

Latest posts