• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Big one tonight for all us English fight fans, hoping the lad from Nottingham knocks that gobby ginger **** out.

Big one tonight for all us English fight fans, hoping the lad from Nottingham knocks that gobby ginger **** out.

What time does the actual fight start? I know al the pre-fight stuff starts at 6pm.

Fair play to Groves in the first fight, but it was so clear Froch completely underestimated him and you could sense he wasn't fully prepared. He will be this time, in my opinion Froch should have him by round 10.. still think Groves will put up a good fight.

Oh damn, that's an embarassing entrance.
Still hope Groves smashes Froch though.

Which fight is amir khan watching . What a load of nonsense !

Both looked pretty average after all the hype. Groves knee went there, wasn't a ko, but doubt very much he could have stayed standing on that leg the way he crumbled.

Both fighters I think came in expecting to go the 12 rounds, so the fight was a bit more conserved throughout. Still, good fight, cracking hit by Froch.

Groves. Another fella who got further mileage than he should've because he'd the gift of the gab.

Groves. Another fella who got further mileage than he should've because he'd the gift of the gab.

I'd say Froch has got considerably more mileage than he should have, due to the lack of talent in the middleweight division now. Groves is still only 26, and whilst he does 'talk the talk', he was pretty humble in defeat, agreeing with Froch that '1 punch can make the difference'.
Froch has done well with the talent he has, he's got one of the best chins I've seen, but is very similar to the American guy 'Lacey'. They both remind me of a sundial, stood motionless in the center of the ring, as that's what they've been coached to do.
I'd have enjoyed watching Calzaghe knock Froch out before retiring, much like I'd have liked Steve Collins to grow a pair and fight Calzaghe instead of running scared and retiring. However, it was good to see these two get back in the ring after the debacle of a stoppage the first time around.

I'd say Froch has got considerably more mileage than he should have, due to the lack of talent in the middleweight division now. Groves is still only 26, and whilst he does 'talk the talk', he was pretty humble in defeat, agreeing with Froch that '1 punch can make the difference'.
Froch has done well with the talent he has, he's got one of the best chins I've seen, but is very similar to the American guy 'Lacey'. They both remind me of a sundial, stood motionless in the center of the ring, as that's what they've been coached to do.
I'd have enjoyed watching Calzaghe knock Froch out before retiring, much like I'd have liked Steve Collins to grow a pair and fight Calzaghe instead of running scared and retiring. However, it was good to see these two get back in the ring after the debacle of a stoppage the first time around.

Don't get me wrong Froch was in need of this as option weren't anywhere near an 80k we mobley gig. But Groves, Chisora (vs Haye), Haye and few others just talk to try make them be portrayed much better than they are.
The days of Steve Collins and Eubank are gone unfortunately. That famous night in Millstreet. That wasn't thrash talking back then more hyping themselves. Collins wouldn't have beaten Calzaghe as he was past his best when that fight was touted.

Don't get me wrong Froch was in need of this as option weren't anywhere near an 80k we mobley gig. But Groves, Chisora (vs Haye), Haye and few others just talk to try make them be portrayed much better than they are.
The days of Steve Collins and Eubank are gone unfortunately. That famous night in Millstreet. That wasn't thrash talking back then more hyping themselves. Collins wouldn't have beaten Calzaghe as he was past his best when that fight was touted.

Darn, I think I'm going to have to unilaterally agree with you on everything there. :eek:

Pretty sure he had a brain scan at the time which showed some tissue damage (to what degree I don't know) and he retired immediately. He was lined up to fight Roy Jones before Calzaghe. In any case Calzaghe would have been too much for him IMO. All at their prime I'd have Roy Jones at #1, Calzaghe at #2, Watson at #3....and then Collins, Benn and Eubanks next on a similar level. Froch would never have lived with any of them. He loses to Andre Ward, Chavez jnr and Golovkin if he chooses Vegas.

Last nights fight was overhyped to the max...it was a mid level world ***le fight that somehow managed to become far bigger than the standard of the fighters due to some needle from the first fight. For 80,000 and Wembley you'd be expecting a prime Mayweather vs Pacman fight. Wasnt tempted to order it. Pleased Froch won as Groves comes across pretty badly.

Yeah, I apologise for that description of Collins. Can't call anyone who has the stones to get into the ring 'scared'. Was posted very late on a saturday night after beer and watching the boxing, and had been bantering with someone irl about Collins, so came across as provocative.

Latest posts