• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Yep, don't believe a word these nobs say (just ignore all of it). There is nothing so pathetic that Nasser/Mundine and co wont say in order to milk a bit of publicity. Wouldn't be surprised if Botha is in on the act too...

Yep, don't believe a word these nobs say (just ignore all of it). There is nothing so pathetic that Nasser/Mundine and co wont say in order to milk a bit of publicity. Wouldn't be surprised if Botha is in on the act too...

Say what you want about Nasser and Mundine because it's probably true enough but they have done a decent enough job of promoting SBW all while keeping him somehow insolated from their BS to some degree. SBW just has to watch out because at some stage their stink is going to rub off on him if hasn't already. IMO he is taking a bit of a risk image-wise keeping these muppets in his corner.

EDIT; I take my last sentence back as the Muppets are actually pretty decent 'characters' and I don't want to insult them by the comparison.

What do you think about APB (AIBA Professional Boxing)?
I was expecting an Olympic-style competition, but APB will be very similar to the already existing "professional Boxings" of WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO.
In my opinion the best Boxing championship should be an annual Olympic-style competition of 32 World top players.
Please tell me your opinions.

Who says women's boxing is not interesting? Hit me baby ...
(Yesica Bopp, argentine women's boxing champion in the light flyweight division of the WBA and WBO.)
info@lanoticiasur.com.ar_3617_tapa_1432010_12447.JPG
jesica1.jpg
boppyesicaringdeideas2.jpg
636081.jpg
809148787.jpg

I know its not cool to be all "Pfft 2/10 WNB", but...

5/10 She'd have to do the wooing Face like a moose

It's funny how some people say boxing is a dead sport. On the weekend we had Donaire vs Rigondeaux. Coming up we have:

Alvarez vs Trout
Fury vs Cunningham
Martinez vs Murray
Judah vs Garcia
Mares vs Ponce De Leon
Mayweather vs Gurrero

That is all in the next three weekends. Plenty of big fights on after that as well.

It's funny how some people say boxing is a dead sport. On the weekend we had Donaire vs Rigondeaux. Coming up we have:

Alvarez vs Trout
Fury vs Cunningham
Martinez vs Murray
Judah vs Garcia
Mares vs Ponce De Leon
Mayweather vs Gurrero

That is all in the next three weekends. Plenty of big fights on after that as well.
What information can you give me about Martin Murray, Martinez's next oponent...

He shouldn't be a problem for Martinez. I have only seen Murray fight once when he got a very lucky draw against Felix Sturm. He put up a good account of himself but should have lost the fight.

What information can you give me about Martin Murray, Martinez's next oponent...
He's a decent pressure fighter, fairly strong on the inside and can throw a decent bodyshot. Id consider him a fringe world level contender, but he doesn't have the power to pose Martinez any trouble. He's made for Sergio to look good against tbh. A one sided beating is only way I can see the fight going

Joseph Parker just destroyed Francois Botha with a TKO in the 2nd round. Very good display from Parker - but it was to be expected (the win more so than the brutal TKO). Here are the highlights. Seems Duko events are looking at destroying SBW (which won't happen for many reasons) to get his ***les, or set up a fight with Cameron who has been unactive since losing his world ***le fight earlier in the year against Danny Green.
http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-HIGHLI...-2013/tabid/415/articleID/301364/Default.aspx

Another interesting prospect in the heavyweight devision has been really impressive is Deontay Wilder, he looks to have more punching power than anyone in the devision, but has only really dispatched Audley Harrison (whose become a bit of a joke)as a named opponent. That said he's 6'8'' and has a 28-0-0 with 28 K.O's - never having gone longer than the 4th round. Really hope to see him vs Tyson Fury but looks unlikely to happen at the moment due to Fury looking more for an immediate ***le shot - while Wilder wants an opponent within the next month undercard to the Hopkins fight.

Joseph Parker just destroyed Francois Botha with a TKO in the 2nd round. Very good display from Parker - but it was to be expected (the win more so than the brutal TKO). Here are the highlights. Seems Duko events are looking at destroying SBW (which won't happen for many reasons) to get his ***les, or set up a fight with Cameron who has been unactive since losing his world ***le fight earlier in the year against Danny Green.
http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-HIGHLI...-2013/tabid/415/articleID/301364/Default.aspx

Another interesting prospect in the heavyweight devision has been really impressive is Deontay Wilder, he looks to have more punching power than anyone in the devision, but has only really dispatched Audley Harrison (whose become a bit of a joke)as a named opponent. That said he's 6'8'' and has a 28-0-0 with 28 K.O's - never having gone longer than the 4th round. Really hope to see him vs Tyson Fury but looks unlikely to happen at the moment due to Fury looking more for an immediate ***le shot - while Wilder wants an opponent within the next month undercard to the Hopkins fight.

Botha looks like he is about 68 years old. What is he doing still in the ring?

Can this guy beat Fury Nick?

Hard to say for a few reasons. Wilder seems to have a massive punch that he throw very wildly (excuse the pun). So far it just seems to connect - but the guys hes fought have often been nobodies. Despite his height he ways in usually around 100kgs, but he doesn't seem to lack power. I'd say in terms of power he's probably stronger than Fury. However he really has pretty average footwork and never throws combinations unless his big right has connected. Fury is a bit more refined - he's capable of throwing combinations and has gone more rounds. So I guess it depends if Fury trades punches which he has a tendancy to do - or whether he sticks behind a jab for a few rounds. I think Wilder could beat Fury but because Wilder's now 27 years old I'd have hope'd he'd have been tested by a few better boxers by now - especially after winning the bronze medal in 2008, and being backed by the Golden Boy - surely they could have fronted up some bigger oppenents.

It's probably the fight if it eventuates I think would be one of the more exciting in the devision.

Botha looks like he is about 68 years old. What is he doing still in the ring?

Well - he was last seen losing to SBW (though he would have won had two rounds of the fight not magically been pulled). He's one of those guys who doesn't know when to call it a day - thinks he's still a great boxer (and to be honest I never rated him as anything more than an alright contender back in his prime). From a Duco events perspective he was perfect. Former World Champion (of a joke ***le) whose durable but not threatening. Unfortunately he wasn't that durable, but it still makes Parker look good, which to be fair he does have great handspeed.

Last edited:
good on parker, bout time someone shut him up kinda expected this to happen

from this result it's hard to imagine a Parker SBW fight happening. Parker will be too good for a part timer. Good on SBW for giving boxing a go but I just dont think he has the speed and power in his hands to actually go very far even though he has improved it over his first few fights.

David Tua is fighting Alexander Ustinov in August.

Would love Tua to win but I don't understand DUCO events selection of opponents. Alexander Ustinov is not an amazing boxer - but he's in the top 10 ranked heavyweights and he's 6'7''. It's pretty well documented David Tua at 5'10'' struggles with big opponents, so DUCO picks one of the biggest. There are plenty of heavyweights who are ranked highly and are under 6'5'' - would have been better off throwing money at them. Being talked about as his last shot - and apparently he's in the best shape he's been in since 2009. But to be honest he'd have been better off getting into shape quicker rather than wait nearly two years between fights...hope he wins so he can get a payday against the Klitschko's but he'd have to pretty much be at his best and get aggressive while closing the gap - otherwise Alexander Ustinov will have an easy points victory.

Apparently DUCO events are offerring Sonny Bill Williams a $1m purse to fight the winner of Parker vs Afa Tatupu. Chances are Parker should win pretty comfortably, which makes him the NZ champion of the main belt in NZ, but he wants to unify it by destroying SBW.

Its a bit of a shame that Parker never fought Chauncy Welliver, for all his criticisms he was easily the best heavyweight in NZ after Tua and Cameron - and I'd have probably rated him higher than Cameron.

Anyway, with luck we'll see Parker vs SBW. If it happens Parker will demolish SBW which is why I can see him turning the $1m down in favour of fighting a boxing nobody. That said 1m is a lot of money to turn down (pathetically it is more than the purse Tua vs Ustinov will be making). DUCO are certainly putting the money up - its a shame they're also making dicks of themselves while doing it.

Apparently DUCO events are offerring Sonny Bill Williams a $1m purse to fight the winner of Parker vs Afa Tatupu. Chances are Parker should win pretty comfortably, which makes him the NZ champion of the main belt in NZ, but he wants to unify it by destroying SBW.

Its a bit of a shame that Parker never fought Chauncy Welliver, for all his criticisms he was easily the best heavyweight in NZ after Tua and Cameron - and I'd have probably rated him higher than Cameron.

Anyway, with luck we'll see Parker vs SBW. If it happens Parker will demolish SBW which is why I can see him turning the $1m down in favour of fighting a boxing nobody. That said 1m is a lot of money to turn down (pathetically it is more than the purse Tua vs Ustinov will be making). DUCO are certainly putting the money up - its a shame they're also making dicks of themselves while doing it.

My hunch says $1m is not enough!! Firstly the $1m is a winner takes all purse apparently (the alternative offered to SBW is a 50-50 split regardless of the outcome). Secondly one has to wonder how much money would SBW lose (in lost earnings on future fights) if he took this fight and lost? I reckon way more than $500k.

There's no way SBW takes this fight IMO.

Welliver would get eaten for breakfast by Cameron, Welliver has the most padded record out there. He's never been in with a banger and he's slow and useless

Last edited:
Mosley vs Mundine. Mosley to wipe the floor with this gob****e.

Latest posts