• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brad Thorn

Ryan had some pretty bad injury issues didn't he?
Ginger lad, played for the Highlanders. He did some RWC2007 coverage didn't he?

Fourie du Preez

Nothing to do with RL; most South Africans don't even know about the existence of League LOL but he spearheaded;

multiple Currie Cup ***les with the Bulls
multiple S14 ***les
3N series wins
a series win over the B&I Lions
RWC glory in 2007
and most recently a ***le guiding the Suntory Sun Goliaths in the Japanese top league.

His poor form coming back from injury is the no.1 reason why SA bowed out of the RWC 2011 IMO but his CV at least deserves a mention.

No..... how dare you mention Fourie Du Preez in a thread about Brad Thorn!

Yeah, he was supposed to be the next big thing. Always hate seeing a career ruined prematurely by injuries.

If FdP and Brad Thorn came to blows, oh my.

Yeah, he was supposed to be the next big thing. Always hate seeing a career ruined prematurely by injuries.

If FdP and Brad Thorn came to blows, oh my.
Who wouldn't come to blows?

:p :lol:

Unless you're John Smit LOL.

The perfect response after Smit's (crafty/accidental) little eye-poke, followed by the shove to the back of Thorn's head. What would you expect Thorn to do....nothing? If you poke a dog with a stick dont be surprised when it turns around and bites you.

No..... how dare you mention Fourie Du Preez in a thread about Brad Thorn!

Hardly fair, since the OP did ask the question "....anyone else remotely close to being that decorated? "

I thought Brad Thorn would have a B&I Lions win under his belt, it's a pity. Basically the only thing he's missing.

That and a Rugby League World Cup. He played for the Kangaroos, but never won a world cup with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
With FDP still not being even remotely close.....

Brad Thorn's trophy cabinet in full

1997 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
1997 - Super League Test series (Australia)
1998 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
1998 - Super League Test series (Australia)
1999 - State of Origin series (Queensland) *
2000 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
2001 - National Provincial Championship (Canterbury)
2003 - Gallaher Cup (New Zealand)
2003 - Bledisloe Cup (New Zealand)
2003 - Tri Nations (New Zealand)
2004 - National Provincial Championship (Canterbury)
2006 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
2008 - Super 14 (Crusaders)
2008 - Freedom Cup (New Zealand)
2008 - Tri Nations (New Zealand)
2008 - Bledisloe Cup (New Zealand)
2008 - Hillary Shield (New Zealand)
2009 - Bledisloe Cup (New Zealand)
2009 - Hillary Shield (New Zealand)
2009 - Gallaher Cup (New Zealand)
2010 - Tri Nations (New Zealand)
2010 - Freedom Cup (New Zealand)
2010 - Bledisloe Cup (New Zealand)
2010 - Hillary Shield (New Zealand)
2011 - Bledisloe Cup (New Zealand)
2011 - Rugby World Cup (New Zealand)

* series was drawn, but Thorn and Queensland "won" it based on that they were the holders from the previous year

Was part of the squad for these wins, but didn't play the final
1997 - World Club Challenge (Brisbane Broncos)
1998 - State of Origin series (Queensland)
2002 - Super 12 (Crusaders)
2009 - ITM Cup (Canterbury)
2010 - ITM Cup (Canterbury)

In total

Rugby World Cup - 1
Tri Nations - 3
Bledisloe Cup - 5
Super Rugby - 2
ITM Cup - 4
Hillary Shield - 3
Gallaher Trophy - 2
Freedom Cup - 2

Super League Test series - 2
World Club Challenge - 1
NRL - 4
State of Origin - 2

Last edited:
Brad Thorn's trophy cabinet in full

1997 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
1997 - Super League Test series (Australia)
1998 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
1998 - Super League Test series (Australia)
1999 - State of Origin series (Queensland) *
2000 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
2001 - National Provincial Championship (Canterbury)
2003 - Tri Nations (New Zealand)
2004 - National Provincial Championship (Canterbury)
2006 - NRL Grand Final (Brisbane Broncos)
2008 - Super 14 (Crusaders)
2008 - Tri Nations (New Zealand)
2010 - Tri Nations (New Zealand)
2011 - Rugby World Cup (New Zealand)

* series was drawn, but Thorn and Queensland "won" it based on that they were the holders from the previous year

Was part of the squad for these wins, but didn't play the final
1997 - World Club Challenge (Brisbane Broncos)
1998 - State of Origin series (Queensland)
2002 - Super 12 (Crusaders)

Great work! Also may be worth mentioning all the Bledisloe Cups. I personally count the WCC, SoO and the S12 as an achievement. He contributed to the teams making it there, although winning the final is always the most prestigious.

Already the most decorated I'd say but hopefully he can help us add two more cups in the next week and a bit to the already prestigous list.

Already the most decorated I'd say but hopefully he can help us add two more cups in the next week and a bit to the already prestigous list.

Yep, I'm pulling for Leinster for the next few weeks. Then they'll have to buy my love back by resigning him when they're a man down next season.

Yep, I'm pulling for Leinster for the next few weeks. Then they'll have to buy my love back by resigning him when they're a man down next season.

Would be great to keep him don't know if the IRFU will allow it though. His age, experience and the fact that he's already pretty settled (his two sons are attending my schools junior school) may count in his favour but I think it's (unfortunately) unlikely.

Great work! Also may be worth mentioning all the Bledisloe Cups. I personally count the WCC, SoO and the S12 as an achievement. He contributed to the teams making it there, although winning the final is always the most prestigious.

added

he's a 5 time winner of the Bledisloe Cup (v Australia), 3 time Hillary Shield winner (v England), 2 time Gallaher Cup winner (v France) and 2 time Freedom Cup winner (v South Africa)

he could still add the Japanese ***le to his trophy cabinet as well in theory, but the problem is he plays with a team towards the bottom of the league in the Fukuoka Sanix Blues, 11th in the league last season

here are a few pictures with his trophies

Brad+Thorn+Tri+Nations+New+Zealand+v+Australia+9l8vSfuuYe6l.jpg

Brad+Thorn+New+Zealand+IRB+RWC+2011+Celebration+TtdsuObdhdSl.jpg

sport-graphics-2008_698364a.jpg

(bottom left)

028567-brad-thorn.jpg

scaled.php

(right in the top right corner)

3085883.jpg

This guy is a legend (especially after seeing the list of comps and trophies he'd won being listed).

I would not be surprised to see him go after the Superbowl (Lombardi trophy) this season. Then the NBA and MLB championships, then to sign on with Arsenal and win the FA Cup, EPL, and Champions League.

This guy is a legend (especially after seeing the list of comps and trophies he'd won being listed).

I would not be surprised to see him go after the Superbowl (Lombardi trophy) this season. Then the NBA and MLB championships, then to sign on with Arsenal and win the FA Cup, EPL, and Champions League.

Now let's not rip the **** :p

I dunno, I think he'd make a fair go of it in football if only for the fact that while everyone else is rolling around clutching their "injuries" he'll waltz past and blast the ball through the goalkeepers chest to win the game(s).

Legend of the game.

Worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's also won the Ranfurly Shield. Three times if I'm correct, in 2000, 2004 and 2009

Latest posts