• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British and Irish Lions Tour: Referee Chat

@smartcooky I saw you mention in the match thread that you think Mako should have gotten a red card for his "clearout" of BB (I'm staying out of that discussion because I can't remember it well enough to judge, I thought yellow was fine at the time but I'm, obviously, biased towards Mako), just to play devils advocate do you think this challenge is cardable? I've gotta say I'm surprised it's not been cited, it's a pretty clear cut elbow/forearm to the face.
From my memory of the Mako incident, and this, they're pretty similar - both attempting to clearout a guy that didn't need to be cleared out, really, and doing it recklessly making contact with the head.

Yep, penalty at least, maybe yellow card not red. It was more a push than an impact

Thing is you are comparing differnt games refereed by different referees

In the Vunipola case the same referee made inconsistent calls.

That's fair enough,
I understand they're different refs, that's why I mentioned the lack of citing - if (to the letter of the law) Mako's was a red, then I would've thought that Cane's would be as well.

1. If they know its happening.

2. By the time they "don't" tackle him, he will be long gone and heading for the try line... win/win
1. they should be able to see it's happening

2. a player landing after a jump is much easier to tackle than a player running full speed, and i don't think it's physically possible to jump before the opposing team, catch the ball, and land past the other team unless they are blitzing crazily...

that being said i'd rather just have the rule that if you hit a guy in the air it's your responsibility to make sure he lands safely

LL7D7Zi.gif

I fail to see how anyone can defend this in any way, shape or form

EDIT: I can't seem to see images on the thread so apologies if this is a duplicate, if not and you cant see too - http://i.imgur.com/LL7D7Zi.gifv (backup link)

Holy ****. Now that I see it again that's definitely a Red.

Just to balance out my SBW comments because I've seen the full game now, Billy Vunipola is a ******* idiot. He tried to argue the fully committed line to his first offence when a) he wasn't fully committed and could have changed his line, and b) he shouldn't have committed because he had no reasonable chance of getting the ball. Wasn't particularly dangerous, but the pettiness really gets me. His second clearout I reckon happens more than we care to admit in the game (I often see guys clearing out players essentially out of the contest excessively because he's an easy target), but I'm glad it was called up. It was bloody reckless to hit a guy like that in the process of rolling away a millisecond after the tackle like that. Once again it wasn't even gamesmanship, it contributed ******* nothing and was pub league behavior and made it seem like he lost the head after getting pinged for his first offence. He's a very good player, but I don't want him starting in games he can't get his attitude right for. Hope it was just an anomaly for him.

@smartcooky I saw you mention in the match thread that you think Mako should have gotten a red card for his "clearout" of BB (I'm staying out of that discussion because I can't remember it well enough to judge, I thought yellow was fine at the time but I'm, obviously, biased towards Mako), just to play devils advocate do you think this challenge is cardable? I've gotta say I'm surprised it's not been cited, it's a pretty clear cut elbow/forearm to the face.
From my memory of the Mako incident, and this, they're pretty similar - both attempting to clearout a guy that didn't need to be cleared out, really, and doing it recklessly making contact with the head.

Looking at that for me it's intentional with force to the head so penalty and yellow. Mako's should have been red because it was similar to SBW's in that he used his shoulder with his full weight behind it. Cane's is more like O'brien's for me. However you do have a point bout the inconsistency with citing.

Looking at that for me it's intentional with force to the head so penalty and yellow. Mako's should have been red because it was similar to SBW's in that he used his shoulder with his full weight behind it. Cane's is more like O'brien's for me. However you do have a point bout the inconsistency with citing.

Its simple imo these should all just be yellow cards with the citing commissioners deciding on the severity of a ban or not after the game. Red cards should be saved for incidents that deserve it and im yet to be convinced the SBW one deserved it. And I dont give a crap what the laws are now.

Referees should be dishing out more yellows and less reds.

Its simple imo these should all just be yellow cards with the citing commissioners deciding on the severity of a ban or not after the game. Red cards should be saved for incidents that deserve it and im yet to be convinced the SBW one deserved it. And I dont give a crap what the laws are now.

Referees should be dishing out more yellows and less reds.

Yeh screw personal safety, player welfare and serious brain issues when players are older ..... we should allow all players to run around shoulder charging far smaller players in the face ......

Give your head a wobble ....

Yeh screw personal safety, player welfare and serious brain issues when players are older ..... we should allow all players to run around shoulder charging far smaller players in the face ......

Give your head a wobble ....

You people are impossible to reason with as you constantly jump to irrational conclusions. I never said anything about smashing players in the face. I said a little shoulder charge here and there is not a big deal. If its in the face head or neck then they deserve a sanction but im not convinced a match loosing red card, a penalty and 4 weeks ban is justice in this instance as it was not imo malicious.

These guys are played plenty of money to do this and quite frankly if I payed to go watch that test match id be pretty ****** off as I reckon it ruined the game other than the last 10.

What do you mean less reds? This is the 1st red an AB has received in like 50 years...
I couldnt care less if its the AB's involved or not im talking from both perspectives I dont want to see any players banned for 4 weeks on top of a red card and penalty over a shoulder charge like SBW's.

I want to see Red cards for eye gouging and real malicious offenses that had intent. Not convinced that was the case here.

You people are impossible to reason with as you constantly jump to irrational conclusions. I never said anything about smashing players in the face. I said a little shoulder charge here and there is not a big deal. If its in the face head or neck then they deserve a sanction but im not convinced a match loosing red card, a penalty and 4 weeks ban is justice in this instance as it was not imo malicious.

These guys are played plenty of money to do this and quite frankly if I payed to go watch that test match id be pretty ****** off as I reckon it ruined the game other than the last 10.

I might partially agree with you if 9 out of 10 games ended in a player getting sent off but it simply doesn't happen .....

Im surprised there isnt more talk about the Naholo one as to me this had the biggest ramifications on the outcome of this game for the AB's other than the match winning penalty.... Hindsight is always great.

Naholo was out the AB's put Barrett to fullback to cover and brought Cruden on. This is when the AB's really started looking really wobbly and the Lions finally to their credit were able to take advantage. To me this one being missed by the ref probably effected the game just as much if not more than the Faumuina BS penalty as its unlikely the Faumuina penalty would of ever happened.

Bit surprised at how terrible Cruden has been in the series. The AB's still had their chances to steal this but blew it TBH. The only good thing I can see is there's no way the AB's can be this unlucky twice in a row surely.

I saw a lot of NZ fans on reddit saying that SOB should have seen red, I'm glad this community is a bit more level headed. Nothing in it, just unfortunate outcome.

Latest posts