• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brumbies v Crusaders

F

Fushitsusha

This Saturday the two most successful teams from Australia and New Zealand line up to what always promises to be an almighty match...

The Crusaders will be going in as favourites, but the Brumbies have a good record against them at home and are just coming off a good win away against the Highlaners...

The battle between Smith and McCaw is going to be monumental!

Brumbies lineup announced... no changes, however, Kimlin is under an injury cloud but should hopefully be right to take up his place on the bench...

1. Nic Henderson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Guy Shepherson
4. Ben Hand
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Julian Salvi
7. George Smith
8. Stephen Hoiles ©
9. Patrick Phibbs
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Francis Fainifo
12. Stirling Mortlock
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Clyde Rathbone
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves
16. John Ulugia
17. Ben Alexander
18. Sitaleki Timani
19. Peter Kimlin
20. Joshua Holmes
21. Tyrone Smith
22. Matt Toomua
23. Shawn Mackay
24. Mitchell Chapman

** two to be omitted

I've picked the Brumbies for this match, simply because they're at home. And Stephen Brett will be playing fullback...

Crusaders to absolutely dominate the Brumbies. Then to run off as quickly as possible and take the next flight out of Canberra to get out of the shithole.
Stephen Brett to start and remind people he's Carters replacement.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 18 2009, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Crusaders to absolutely dominate the Brumbies. Then to run off as quickly as possible and take the next flight out of Canberra to get out of the shithole.[/b]

Somebody from Queensland shouldn't be throwing around the word 'shithole' to describe other towns. :p

There were suggestions that Stephen Brett may start at fullback because Leon Mcdonald is nursing a shoulder injury. I will be surprised if Brett starts at first five, mainly because Colin Slade played pretty well and I doubt the Crusaders would want a rotation policy for that position in the team.

I personally prefer Stephen Brett at first five mainly because of his running game there. However there is a lot to see of Colin Slade this season

McCaw, Thorn and Macdonald have all been ruled out of the match.

If the Brumbies don't win this one... I'll cry... and it's my birthday.

Crusaders:

1.Wyatt Crockett
2.Corey Flynn
3.Ben Franks
4.Isaac Ross
5.Ross Filipo
6.Kieran Read ©
7.George Whitelock
8.Thomas Waldrom
9.Andy Ellis
10.Colin Slade
11.Kade Poki
12.Tim Bateman
13.Casey Laulala
14.Jared Payne
15.Stephen Brett

Reserves:

16.Jason Macdonald
17.Bronson Murray
18.Michael Paterson
19.Nasi Manu
20.Kahn Fotuali'i
23.Ryan Crotty
22.Adam Whitelock

This will be a good test for some of these young ones.

With those three ruled out I personally think the Brumbies will win. Laulala and Read will each have to play a blinder.

Nice game it will be interesting to see how Crusaders season turns out. They just didn't seem 'Crusader like' in this game although the absence of their all black players may have influenced this. I was surprised Stephen Brett played Fullback considering he has a turd like defense. The Crusaders defense was solid (especially the backs) but they caved in the last minute. The crusaders dont seem to have that last 20 minute scoring factor but its till early on in the season.

Crusaders defence looks as solid as ever, just their attack seems to have fallen away quite a bit.

More importantly, with this loss, there are NO KIWI TEAMS in the top four. Albeit it is only round 2..

The Brumbies really blew their opportunities in that game...

I wasn't too impressed with Lealiifano... made some poor kicking decisions and didn't control the backline very well...

Ashley-Cooper barely saw any ball and Mortlock was always well covered in defence... and once again Rathbone hardly got involved...

The Brumbies' forwards got off to a slow start but as the game went along they started to dominate more... Alexander and Kimlin seemed to make an immediate impact and probably warrant a starting berth next week...

I felt that both Phibbs and Holmes played really well... Holmes picked up the intensity when he came on...

It'll be interesting to see how the Crusaders go when they get some of their stars back... their defence was immense but they never really looked too threatening in attack...

Unfortunately Lualala's try shouldn't have been allowed because it came directly after a Crusaders' knock on... although Smith shouldn't have thrown that silly pass... he did make up for it later with Lealiifano's try and that awesome break from the 22m restart...

Anyways, I'm happy with the win and the Brumbies get to sit in 3rd spot... woo!

Oh, and Gerrard certainly deserved 'man of the match'...

His kicking game was just sublime... I hope Deans was paying attention...