• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bryan Habana

Especially since even Scott Hamilton was made to look halfway decent at International Level in the All BLacks
[/b]

Wow, that`s a beauty! Hamilton half-decent at International level? I reckon Cabous vd Westhuizen`s grandma( from the 1996 Super 12 semi-final fame) could still run rings around that oke........

<div class='quotemain'>
Especially since even Scott Hamilton was made to look halfway decent at International Level in the All BLacks
[/b]

Wow, that`s a beauty! Hamilton half-decent at International level? I reckon Cabous vd Westhuizen`s grandma( from the 1996 Super 12 semi-final fame) could still run rings around that oke........
[/b][/quote]

Yeah id agree with that.
Alot of the guys that play/played for the saders are made to look good, receive higher honours and then get found out eg hamilton, laulala.
Habana would no doubt make a fine addition to this current ABs team, not that we're in need of wingers right now...but his talents would be FULLY recognized. Infact im gonna stir this up a bit and say that, outta all the players in the springboks and wallabies...ATM...the only ones who'd make the current ABs squad would be - habana, matfield, giteau and latham. :hunt:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah id agree with that.
Alot of the guys that play/played for the saders are made to look good, receive higher honours and then get found out eg hamilton, laulala.
Habana would no doubt make a fine addition to this current ABs team, not that we're in need of wingers right now...but his talents would be FULLY recognized. Infact im gonna stir this up a bit and say that, outta all the players in the springboks and wallabies...ATM...the only ones who'd make the current ABs squad would be - habana, matfield, giteau and latham. :hunt:
[/b][/quote]

Surely Mortlock, Tuiquri, Smith, Vickerman, Fourie du Preez, CJ van der Linde, would all be worth a shot at the ABs

hmmm tuqiri and george smith id agree on, the rest are average.
These players would definately blend into the ABs way of playing with the way they play themselves, they all have the xfactor and could easily adapt to the kiwis mentality of playing the game.

GG is right Habana relies on his speed and the hopefull intercept, Sometimes he goes for the intercept too much. I remember Giteau talking some **** to Habana when he exploited Habanas weaknesses of comming up to fast without thinking. I think the wallabies scored a bonus point on his wing alone.

one guy who will benefit from playing alot more games is david smith...you guys just do not know yet!!..hes only 20..the thing i like about him is he is not scared...i have seen him in the schoolgrades run at fullpace at forwards in the midfield...he can take some beat downs but he just never gives in..dude has to be unconcious lol...hes like rocky balboa..well before part 4 when things got silly...he is to quote an nz commentator who commented on a game of his during the npc " a ball of muscle"...his speed is far over rated though..he aint as fast as they say..but his agility and acceleration is almost olympic gymnastic/track n field like..his work rate alone in the npc was far better then the majority of veterans in the game at that was his rookie season

he is the dynamite kid..ready to explode on the nz scene any minute now...

it is very true that the all blacks can bring out the best in players..imagined if caucau got that lease from the irb back in 03?..imagine if they got there hands on necewa or even if they kept spencer for abit longer....ohwell...

some of our games most dynamic and exciting players are our wingers..they are depended alot more now a days..not to brag BUT!...nz's pool of wingers is of the finest caliber in the world!!!...

I rate Habana quite highly from what I've seen. Check out his try here (from 2006) 1 minute 45 seconds into the video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=mzpHNm6g4UA&amp...ted&search=
He slices clean through what is probably the best defence in the Northern hemisphere for a pretty nice try. They played him out of position at 13 in that game and he was completely handled and outclassed by D'arcy and BOD, but when he got into his natural position on the wing he produced probably the best individual moment of the game.

Also, about one minute eighteen seconds in check out Horgan's tackle. Painful to watch! He might not have Habana's pace but his size and power are pretty special. I wouldn't fancy running down his channel.

Habana is a scooter rather than a gazelle .... needs to develop more skills than the heavy reliance on speed and the hopeful intercept.
[/b]
A Scooter? Do they run wild in Africa?

I unershtan' the intercept point - but telling the fastest winger in the world that's he's relying too heavily on his speed! What other attacking skill does he need to 'develop'? Maori sidestep? Accidental spear tackle?

He's a natural - SA should get him to tighten his defence, and just get the fooking ball into his hands. Too much faffing about with all those dropkicks when they have points on tap out wide. Watch out for his combinations with Steyn - it will show up the pseudo wingers who play for the ABs, and the buck-toothed confusion that passes for a midfield defence.

And Caucau - if he's not bothered, then why should we be?

thats the thing..he is isnt bothered half the time and yet is considered one of the best players in the world...you do the maths on that..if he was really to put his footdown on discipline then we would see jonah lomu,campese and joeli vidiri all over again..

and habana is an awesome player,he has his own talents that he can rely on...in a game that is forever changing in style (especially in the backline) he can be the next brenton paulse..which is not a bad thing,but...paulse didnt reach the potential everyone thought he couldve..i really do believe habana can step his game up..sure you can rely on that speed...but what happens when you need abit more strength??..or abit more agility???...in games especially against the allblacks and the wallabies you are gonna need more then one skillset to out manouver your opponent...

i guess against northern hemisphere teams you dont need that much on the outside

Habana got done by Masaga the other week.

Watch the replay.....Habana is pacing himself and inviting Masag to take the outside lane....Masaga does his goose shuffle and decides not to cut in and that the OUTSIDE lane is indeed a better option against Habana. So Masaga accelerates....Habana accelerates....Masaga wins.

That same game Habana tried to repay Masaga the favour but Masaga easily cut him down.

Masaga is his short time has scored better looking tries than Habana as he has more speed and skills....yet Masaga is not the complete package yet to topple off Gear, Rokocoko, Muliaiina, Howlett or Sivivatu. If Habana was a New Zealander he would be just another Soseni Anesi in his style and would NOT make the AB reserves.

Defensively Habana always goes for intercepts. Which is why the Crusaders last week decided to dummy pass or missout pass the centre channel when they attacked Habana's wing...as that is where Habana often lurks waiting to pounce. So you see a lot of breaks happening there. The Crusaders did the same thing to intercept king Peter Hewat a few years ago on his wing when they did not pass it there but grubbered it. Habana needs to have a better allround defensive style. One try the Crusaders got Habana ended up marking thin air.

When has anyone ever seen Habana sidestep on the run? When has anyone ever seen Habana sidestep either standing still or at a slow pace? Paulse has more sidestepping ability than Habana. Paulse can also pass better than Habana.

I would content that if Masaga or maybe even Anesi were in South Africa and also in the Bulls squad...they would be promoted ahead or Habana for that wing position. Masaga has better ball handling skills allround....is slightly quicker on pace....has much better footwork....is a slightly better roamer on attack.....and has a better understanding of the defence that is expected for a wing.

Let us not even mention what would happen if Sivi, Roko, Gear, Howlett, or Mills were in the Bulls squad.

Habana would have a starting position in some NZ Franchises....but he would not have one in the All Blacks.

Aaaah, reasoned argument in the face of heated prejudice - you're right, but you won't win. C'est la vie. :wah:

Defensively Habana always goes for intercepts. Which is why the Crusaders last week decided to dummy pass or missout pass the centre channel when they attacked Habana's wing...as that is where Habana often lurks waiting to pounce. So you see a lot of breaks happening there. The Crusaders did the same thing to intercept king Peter Hewat a few years ago on his wing when they did not pass it there but grubbered it. Habana needs to have a better allround defensive style. One try the Crusaders got Habana ended up marking thin air.

When has anyone ever seen Habana sidestep on the run? When has anyone ever seen Habana sidestep either standing still or at a slow pace? Paulse has more sidestepping ability than Habana. Paulse can also pass better than Habana.

I would content that if Masaga or maybe even Anesi were in South Africa and also in the Bulls squad...they would be promoted ahead or Habana for that wing position. Masaga has better ball handling skills allround....is slightly quicker on pace....has much better footwork....is a slightly better roamer on attack.....and has a better understanding of the defence that is expected for a wing.

Let us not even mention what would happen if Sivi, Roko, Gear, Howlett, or Mills were in the Bulls squad.

Habana would have a starting position in some NZ Franchises....but he would not have one in the All Blacks.
[/b]

Finally someone put in words exactly how I feel about Habana - GG you are a god!

Habana
The star of SA rugby
He are not just scoring but now he are making tries also

Habana is good at it what he does but idon't like him. I think he's getting a big head. Even the South African sportscasters were happy when Ngwenya left him in the dust during the SA-USA game last week.

Habana is a class player, but In my opinion hes a bit one dimensional. I think Joe Rokocoko is alot better all round, hes alot more reliable. Joe gets out of some pretty sticky situations, and does things Habana would never be able to do. He's not as fast as Habana but I reckon Finishing, and all round reading of the game roks is better!

I agree with Jimz, I definitely prefer Rokocoko because he seems to me much more complete, even if Habana is one of my favorite players and he has done a great job in the WC.

Habana's got nothing on Mark Gerrard or Drew Mitchell
[/b]

Hahahaha you should do stand up!

Habana is a class player, but In my opinion hes a bit one dimensional. I think Joe Rokocoko is alot better all round, hes alot more reliable. Joe gets out of some pretty sticky situations, and does things Habana would never be able to do. He's not as fast as Habana but I reckon Finishing, and all round reading of the game roks is better!
[/b]

Rocokoko has done nothing for a while now. How can you possibly say Habana is unreliable? He is a strong contender for best defensive wing in the world! he put Mose Tua"cant spell his name" from the crusaders on his ass and has done so many times to other players since then too. Didnt you watch Habana's game against the blues this year? He took a diving catch, ran around half the blues including Evans, then fired a pass in to set up a try.

Rocokoko is unbeatable on form but the thing is, he's never on form!

<div class='quotemain'>
Habana's got nothing on Mark Gerrard or Drew Mitchell
[/b]

Hahahaha you should do stand up!

[/b]

Rocokoko has done nothing for a while now. How can you possibly say Habana is unreliable? He is a strong contender for best defensive wing in the world! he put Mose Tua"cant spell his name" from the crusaders on his ass and has done so many times to other players since then too. Didnt you watch Habana's game against the blues this year? He took a diving catch, ran around half the blues including Evans, then fired a pass in to set up a try.

Rocokoko is unbeatable on form but the thing is, he's never on form! [/b][/quote]

Have to agree. Since my last post a year ago Habana has oh so changed!!!! He has gotten a whole lot better indeed!

BTW Rokocoko is in form when he is wearing an AB jersey and it is not a RWC match. Pretty much like the rest of them.

one guy who will benefit from playing alot more games is david smith...you guys just do not know yet!!..hes only 20..the thing i like about him is he is not scared...i have seen him in the schoolgrades run at fullpace at forwards in the midfield...he can take some beat downs but he just never gives in..dude has to be unconcious lol...hes like rocky balboa..well before part 4 when things got silly...he is to quote an nz commentator who commented on a game of his during the npc " a ball of muscle"...his speed is far over rated though..he aint as fast as they say..but his agility and acceleration is almost olympic gymnastic/track n field like..his work rate alone in the npc was far better then the majority of veterans in the game at that was his rookie season

he is the dynamite kid..ready to explode on the nz scene any minute now...

it is very true that the all blacks can bring out the best in players..imagined if caucau got that lease from the irb back in 03?..imagine if they got there hands on necewa or even if they kept spencer for abit longer....ohwell...

some of our games most dynamic and exciting players are our wingers..they are depended alot more now a days..not to brag BUT!...nz's pool of wingers is of the finest caliber in the world!!!... [/b]

I will say it now and be the first to say it. David Smith needs to move to centre or second five eigths.....he is similar to Nonu but better. In time he will master that position. If you have a ball distributor next to him then it would solve his issues of trying to distribute,,,cos he can't really hehe.

Latest posts