Bryan Redpath Sacked

TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Reports coming in that Sale Sharks have sacked their Director of Rugby Bryan Redpath. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23avivaprem">#avivaprem</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23rugby">#rugby</a> via @<a href="https://twitter.com/5liverugby">5liverugby</a></p>&mdash; Rugby World (@Rugbyworldmag) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rugbyworldmag/status/262995358299353089" data-datetime="2012-10-29T19:12:34+00:00">October 29, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Inadvertently the worlds most expensive golden handshake.

Was always on the cards when Mitchell was signed to 'coach'.

When Mitchell gets sacked, Diamond will still have a job.

Meanwhile in Gloucester...

ainsley-harriott-03.jpg

Article now gone from the BBC site and Sale are saying he's still employed.
I reckon he's dropped to head coach, or backs coach, or whatever and John Mitchell is new DoR.

BBC/whoever broke the news probably saw "Redpath loses DoR position" and went with that.

Whaaaaaat? BBC making an error then covering it up?

Surely not???????...!

Un-surprising, Mitchell pretty much said he'd been brought in to be DoR in an interview the other week.

C4GE2.jpg

This man makes every day worth it. I need to print out a large copy and stick it to my mates window in the morning. What better way to wake up?

Apparently Redpath's signed to a 4-year, 7 figure deal. If true, Sale probably won't be able to buy their way out. And with the CV he has, it would be silly for Redpath to leave the money. Either he stays on as the most ridiculously overpaid assistant (backs) coach in rugby, or Sale scapegoat him until he gets fed up and leaves. Possibly both.

Just to think that Mitchell came in the other week too, to look at joining the club, even before Redpath was demoted. Expecting that it was to look at the DoR position. Wonder how Redpath felt about this going into the Worcester match.

Add the very open rumours of underhand deals in regards to bringing Redpath to Sale, and it's easy to see why Diamond isn't the most lovable guy. I hope that someday he will take responsibility for his actions.

Apparently Redpath's signed to a 4-year, 7 figure deal. If true, Sale probably won't be able to buy their way out.

I think you underestimate how wealthy the combined force of Kennedy/Blackhurst is.
If they open their wallets wide enough we're one of the richest clubs going :p

I reckon he'll become Head Coach with Mitchell in as DoR.
The whole thing is a mess though, as is everything else to do with Sale these days.

Apparently Redpath's signed to a 4-year, 7 figure deal. If true, Sale probably won't be able to buy their way out. And with the CV he has, it would be silly for Redpath to leave the money. Either he stays on as the most ridiculously overpaid assistant (backs) coach in rugby, or Sale scapegoat him until he gets fed up and leaves.

He must have agreed with the demotion (and I imagine a salary correction) as such a demotion would be deemed, in law, a construtive dismissal and he would have a claim for the balance of his contract...............unless there was some sort of performance criteria or another material clause in it that he has broken...

Apparently Steve Diamond has taken over as DoR, Mitchell is coming in as consultant and Redpath has been offered the role as backs coach.

Ignoring what's gone on with Redpath this isn't too bad of an option - Lots of people dislike Diamond, and for (many) valid reasons, but we always seem to play better with him in a coaching role rather than as CEO or whatever he was.
If we'd have just done this at the start of the season we could've avoided all this hassle.

Sounds like a cod's dinner and total c**k up to me!!

Apparently Steve Diamond has taken over as DoR, Mitchell is coming in as consultant and Redpath has been offered the role as backs coach.

Ignoring what's gone on with Redpath this isn't too bad of an option - Lots of people dislike Diamond, and for (many) valid reasons, but we always seem to play better with him in a coaching role rather than as CEO or whatever he was.
If we'd have just done this at the start of the season we could've avoided all this hassle.

Aye, don't think Diamond and Mitchell will get on.

I dunno, while they're both big egos they're old friends and played for Sale together back in the day.
Think he coached Sale while Diamond was still playing as well?

Last edited:
I dunno, while they're both big egos they're old friends and played for Sale together back in the day.

Mitchell has said he wants to be the only one in control, can't see that happening with Diamond personally.

True enough.

I have a feeling that Mitchell can't take the DoR job due to his ongoing problems/contract with the Lions in SA (he had to fly back to SA last week because of it), which is why he is now a "consultant".

Diamond has said several times he's more interested in the commercial side than coaching these days - I think that Mitchell will become DoR over the summer, with Diamond going back to CEO.

For a few months before Dimes is "forced" back on to the coaching staff ;)

Latest posts