• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nigel Davies sacked

Stephen Vaughan has confirmed that there has been an instant high level of interest - more than 20 candidates have been in touch so far. In the same article, citizen are claiming that wayne smith is on the shortlist. Ollie azam is also a name floating around. Mallett still touted as the club's preference.

Wayne Smith would be ridiculous - I think everyone would be very surprised if that happened though...

Dave Ellis appears to be lined up to replace Paul Moriarty as defence coach. (He's reported to be interested in the role: http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/...ows-hat-ring/story-21089721-detail/story.html) Would be happy with that appointment.

Also recommends Olivier Azam to join the club in a coaching capacity.

Tindall, Woodman now Azam. Why is Gloucester such an inward looking club? Its almost like you have to understand the Gloucester mindset to be considered....because they have had so much success.

Tindall, Woodman now Azam. Why is Gloucester such an inward looking club? Its almost like you have to understand the Gloucester mindset to be considered....because they have had so much success.

...............Biarritz (is) was the same and look what happened to them!!

"Movement news" unrelated to the Hook story expected for Tuesday. Not sure if this means news on the new coaches though.

Glos were confirmed to be in talks with Azam and Ellis.

Thought Azam has said the time isn't right yet.
And yet the club have since been in talks with him... :p

Not just me, but others also think that Azam's statement may have been more of a "come and persuade me" than him ruling himself out.

...could be interpreted that way.

But he actually said:
"I will come back to Gloucester one day to take the reins of the club, that is for sure. When the time is right for me and my family I will come back,"

Which doesn't necessarily mean the time isn't right now.

Dunno what you've been following j'nuh, but its an interesting signing imo.

He'll do jack all on your training field - wouldn't be surprised if you guys sign a head coach as well - but he did a huge amount for Ulster rugby in terms of negotiations, player signings, facilities, building up the academy etc.etc.

Says to me that Walkinshaw is feeling very ambitious and doesn't feel like shaking the money tree to fund it - he wants someone to come in and build up the infrastructure so Glaws can compete with the rest.

I think it has already been announced that a head coach will be joining Humphreys at Glos. As far as I am aware, the club are looking at a number of candidates, and will present them to Humphreys, who will get the final say on the Head Coach, as well as the rest of the coaching team.

Just before Nigel Davies left, he was talking about what he was doing about the long-term plan at Glos. The impression he made on me is that he was as much a manager as a head coach, and I am not totally sure whether he could commit fully to either. I think the signs under ND were that Glos wanted to move to the DoR/Head Coach model. Splitting the roles like this makes a lot of sense. In fact, I suspect that more clubs will move towards it. Managing and coaching a rugby club seems like far too much responsibility for one person, and it is exceptional that you can get one guy that is suited to both tasks.

But I am bloody excited for next season anyway.

Aussie press reporting that Laurie Fisher, director of rugby at the Brumbies, is to take over as head coach as Glos. In the two years under him, Brumbies went from 13th to 7th to 2nd (and finalists).

Once again, totally left-field and better than expected. Although I'm curious as to signing a director of rugby as head coach. I presume he's a very hands-on DOR for Brumbies?

btw, the love child of Billy Connolly and Richard Attenborough?

Laurie-Fisher.jpg

is he D.O.R?

I know he was forwards coach under jake white - he only took over the reigns as joint head coach with Stephen Larkham the start of this s15.

I'd be surprised if he's off to Gloucester when he's only been in charge for 6-7 months.

wow, that's a brilliant signing for Gloucester, he is absolutely mustard.

very heands on, he and larkham are coachs not really D.O.R's in teh sense that humph's will be.

Liking the look of the Gloucester set up to be fair.

More impressed with his tenure as Munster forwards coach 2008-2011.

But sounds like he is good at developing young talent as well.

Could well turn out to be glous best signing.

He was brumbies HC from 2005 -08.

Latest posts