• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canada Wolverines 2012 International Tests.

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Canada's national team the Wolverines, have announced four test matches and two friendlies for 2012 as they try and continue their climb up the world rankings. The Canadian team was restarted too late to join in the World Cup qualification but I think the goal is to get the team on some solid footing in order to have a chance in the next cycle. It looks like a pretty good schedule featuring challenging yet winnable games that will help the team grow.

Canada Wolverines 2012 Schedule:

Canada vs. Royal Air Force (Friendly) Sunday June 17th 2012, Fletcher's Fields, Markham, Ontario

Canada vs. Jamaica (Test) Saturday July 21st 2012, Lamport Stadium, Toronto, Ontario

Canada vs. Lebanon (Test) Saturday August 11th 2012, Lamport Stadium, Toronto, Ontario

Canada vs. USA (Test) Saturday September 8th 2012, Lamport Stadium, Toronto, Ontario

USA vs. Canada (Test) Saturday September 22nd 2012, TBD, USA

Canada vs. England Lions(Amateur Select team) (Friendly) Saturday October 8th 2012, Lamport Stadium, Toronto, Ontario

Last edited:
Only problem is its league a sport I have zero interest in watching nor do any other Canadian rugby fans

Only problem is its league a sport I have zero interest in watching nor do any other Canadian rugby fans

I would certainly say most but I would never speak for all rugby fans. Union is the predominant code here and always will be, but I'm sure there is a small niche that likes League to some degree(I know I do), the team has actually drawn a couple thousand fans out to there games which considering how low profile League is here isn't that bad.

Yah this is true, I know some of the guys that have played for the team, they are all mostly ex-union players... couple played RCSL and I think a few also played for Canada East.

Yah this is true, I know some of the guys that have played for the team, they are all mostly ex-union players... couple played RCSL and I think a few also played for Canada East.

I hope my response didn't come off as confrontational I re-read it and I kind of came off a little sanctimonius, I'm sure you were meaning most or virtually all(eg 95% of union fans and not 100%).

I also had a look at the roster to Rugger and I did pick up a couple of names , I also know that the Hamilton/Niagara team in the league has a lot of ex-union guys from the area. I might try to make it down to the game against the England Lions depending on how busy with work I am at that time of year and provided the tickets are pretty cheap.

I hope my response didn't come off as confrontational I re-read it and I kind of came off a little sanctimonius, I'm sure you were meaning most or virtually all(eg 95% of union fans and not 100%).

I also had a look at the roster to Rugger and I did pick up a couple of names , I also know that the Hamilton/Niagara team in the league has a lot of ex-union guys from the area. I might try to make it down to the game against the England Lions depending on how busy with work I am at that time of year and provided the tickets are pretty cheap.

I actually don't mind watching rugby league, the problem I have with it is it tries to compete with union instead of linking up with which I think would do wonders for both sports in NA (I say this to also include the US).... You continuously hear people talk about a pro league in the US or some nonsense like that.... reality is there is no grassroots rugby league in NA and most teams that do exist are mostly expats or ex-union guys.

I actually don't mind watching rugby league, the problem I have with it is it tries to compete with union instead of linking up with which I think would do wonders for both sports in NA (I say this to also include the US).... You continuously hear people talk about a pro league in the US or some nonsense like that.... reality is there is no grassroots rugby league in NA and most teams that do exist are mostly expats or ex-union guys.

Great post Rugger, my sentiments exactly, I wish the two codes would work together for a change and drop this tribal nonsense that seems to go on.

I've got to give the Canadian boys on the league side some credit, they have been working their butts off ever since they restarted the federation a couple of years ago, and apparently bigger fish in the league world are noticing as Hull FC have signed a player development deal with the organization. Hull FC will take guys for a month or so on a consistent basis and let them train with their team and in return will get first dibs at any signings. Here are the details

http://www.canadarugbyleague.com/site/eng/news/article.php?id=10173

But i love to watch rugby matches and you know i always take off for watching these rugby matches . Every time i go with my all friends and enjoy every moments of rugby match.

It was a farily good campaign for the Wolverines in 2012 with the squad definately growing in their bid to move up the world rankings and qualify for the 2017 RLWC.

The RAF tour to Canada was the first part of the season and the RAF opened up with a big win over a Toronto club side which was followed by a very competitive tilt with Canada "A", the Canadians holding the RAF scorless in the 2nd half although they fell short 22-16.

The test schedule began with whats becoming a great(although friendly) rivalry with Jamaica, the crowd was 4.630 which is a North American record for Rugby League. The fans saw a hard fought defensive battle in which the Wolverines came out on top 18-12.

This was followed by a big win 36-18 over Lebanon, one of Canada's most important wins yet over a side that possessed some NRL prospects.

Unfortunately the 2-0 record didn't last as a thrilling comeback against the USA fell just short, 28-24 was the final score. It was an absolutely fantastic night of Rugby League with both sides scoring some fantastic tries.

The USA also took the rematch in the United States, which was played on a Gridiron field, fairly bizarre to watch and the Tomahwaks were clearly superior on the day winning 36-14.

The Wolverines ended the test schedule with a 2-2 record. A fairly disastrous performance against the England Lions(Best Amateur players from England) followed especially the first half, and the Wolverines were spanked 68-4.

All in all it wasn't a bad year though, Canada showed it was competitive with other minnows and they earned themselves a grant from the RLIF for further development due to the crowd sizes and performances in their tests.

Finally some highlight packages. Here is 25:00 minutes of extended highlights of the match between Canada and Jamaica that was played this summer in front of an America's record of nearly 5,000 fans. It was a great defensive contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, i´ve just read this thread, great to read of the enthusiasm in places like NA, here´s to more growth and progress in 2013. I like both codes but I´m primarily a RL supporter, hailing from the North of England heartlands as I do, Halifax, West Yorkshire to be precise.

Hello, i´ve just read this thread, great to read of the enthusiasm in places like NA, here´s to more growth and progress in 2013. I like both codes but I´m primarily a RL supporter, hailing from the North of England heartlands as I do, Halifax, West Yorkshire to be precise.

Thanks FoxyDread it was indeed a succesful season for the Wolverines and they are shooting up the world rankings, they jumped three spots to 18th in the latest update today and due to the RLIF rankings taking into account results that go back further than when the team even existed that will only rise next season. I would think that we will be in the conversation for an automatic spot in 2017 RLWC if things keep going well. I certainly think we'll qualify for 2017 if an automatic spot is just out of reach.

Next years tests will be released soon I would expect the usual opponents of Jamaica and the United States with another couple of minnows, perhaps Russia, Italy or Ireland.

I caught bits of one of their "tests" against the US. The standard was pretty low, to be honest. That being said the sport could tranfer to North America easier than Rugby. To be honest I hope it does not.

I caught bits of one of their "tests" against the US. The standard was pretty low, to be honest. That being said the sport could tranfer to North America easier than Rugby. To be honest I hope it does not.

Yeah the gap in League is massive, even a team like the RAF was around the same level as our national side. I think we only have one or two players playing in 2nd and 3rd tier in England. I have to give the boys some credit though they only formed the side 2-3 years ago so the growth has been pretty substantial.

I was also thinking the same thing about it transferring over here well, especially in the States. It would take a VERY long time for it to eclipse even Union here though as it's effectively a niche of a niche at the moment.

Finally some highlight packages. Here is 25:00 minutes of extended highlights of the match between Canada and Jamaica that was played this summer in front of an America's record of nearly 5,000 fans. It was a great defensive contest.

That commentator is hilarious :lol: so excitable! Also who one earth says 'He hits the line like a kamikaze pilot!' and 'oooohh he eats a turf sandwich there' ...

That commentator is hilarious :lol: so excitable! Also who one earth says 'He hits the line like a kamikaze pilot!' and 'oooohh he eats a turf sandwich there' ...

His video packages have reached cult status in England, He's actually the president of Rugby League Canada!!!!

I watched most of it. It's a little below club level here in NZ (no disrespect) but you gotta start somewhere. It would've been the same when the Island nations were introduced to Rugby. Unfortunately with the International Rugby league community (NZ/AUS always looking inwards there aren't opportunities to grow maybe a 9's competition globally which is far more attractive like Rugby 7's.

But that said - it's a start.

Thanks for the vid.

Latest posts