• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2015 Pacific Nations Cup

American commentary is painful.
"Elvis Taione, who plays for the Chiefs over in England's second tier competition."

USA making a lot of basic errors. They could almost be forgiven if they were systematic ones due to the number of changes made, but they're generally skill based. Highlights the lack of depth they have.

Anyone know if Manoa will be released from his Toulon contract to play at the World Cup? They could have a handy back five and back three if they can get them all on the pitch.

4. Manoa 5. Smith 6. Dolan 7. Clever 8. Dolan

11. Ngwenya 14. Wyles 15. Scully

Very poor display by both teams. Both sides made a heap of changes, But as a Tongan supporter this PNC hasn't been encouraging to watch. Tonga seem to lack a game plan. Players don't seem to work hard enough to get into shape while the halfback seems to guess who he is passing to. This has to mean the players have no clarity on what their role is within in the team. Frustrating because players like Taumalolo, Tonga'uiha, and Mafi could be more damaging with the ball in hand if the proper structures were in place with each player knowing what their role was.

they can come close but beat the pumas with this team no, if they got some reinforcements from france maybe

Tonga didn't pick the strongest of combinations throughout the PNC like Samoa they have a lot of names missing. They rested more for the game against USA and even though they won the manner in which they did wouldn't be encourage lack of structure having a domino effect on everything else.

Tonga will be without Taniela Mos which is a huge loss. But depending on availability Tonga could show up a completely different side on paper come Workd Cup wether they have the Game Plan and structures with the reinforcements to upset Argentina is another thing.

Tonga have a number of possible players to join the set up. They have so many "eligible" players but I wont include younger players who most likely would be waiting for a Call up to tier 1 Nation sides.

Kisi Pulu(Perpignan), Ben Tameifuna(Waikato Chiefs), Tolu Latu(NSW Waratahs),Paula Ngauamo(Mont De Marsman) Lopeti Timani(Melbourne Rebels), Colby Faingaa(Melbourne Rebels), Sam Wykes(Western Force), Opeti Fonua(Leicester Tigers), Lisiate Fa'aoso(Bayonne),Sione Kalamafoni(Gloucester), Willis Halaholo(Wellington Hurricanes), Malietoa Hingano(La Rochelle), Tevita Halaifonua(Gloucester)

Tonga have a number of possible players to join the set up. They have so many "eligible" players but I wont include younger players who most likely would be waiting for a Call up to tier 1 Nation sides.

Kisi Pulu(Perpignan), Ben Tameifuna(Waikato Chiefs), Tolu Latu(NSW Waratahs),Paula Ngauamo(Mont De Marsman) Lopeti Timani(Melbourne Rebels), Colby Faingaa(Melbourne Rebels), Sam Wykes(Western Force), Opeti Fonua(Leicester Tigers), Lisiate Fa'aoso(Bayonne),Sione Kalamafoni(Gloucester), Willis Halaholo(Wellington Hurricanes), Malietoa Hingano(La Rochelle), Tevita Halaifonua(Gloucester)

It's crazy to call players who don't know the game plan a few weeks before the WC. And players like Tameifuna and Lopeti Timani are waiting for their chance in national teams of NZ/OZ

It's crazy to call players who don't know the game plan a few weeks before the WC. And players like Tameifuna and Lopeti Timani are waiting for their chance in national teams of NZ/OZ

Tameifuna has signed for Racing Metro so hes given up on the All Blacks jersey the question is does he want to wait 3 years and play for France or show up for Tonga. Lopeti Timani as well played out of his skin and was the form lock for Australia for most of the Super Rugby comp and still couldn't find a spot for the Wallabies.

Tonga did the same thing last World Cup where Sona Taumalolo, Soane Tonga'uiha, Aleki Lutui, Fetu'u Vainikolo, Taniela Moa all showed up right before the World Cup ( I think they showed up for the last game of the PNC.

The Tongan Coach has said he is in Contact with 15 players playing Super Rugby and in France who all could possibly be in the squad come World Cup time.

I think if we fielded this line up we could upset Argentina

15. David Halaifonua
14. Telusa Veainu
13. Siale Piutau
12. Willis Halaholo/Malietoa Hingano/Sione Piukala
11. Fetu'u Vainikolo
10. Kurt Morath
9. Taniela Moa
8. Nasi Manu
7. Nili Latu
6. Ma'ama Vaipulu
5. Sam Wykes
4. Steve Mafi
3. Ben Tameifuna
2. Tolu Latu
1. Soane Tonga'uiha

16. Paula Ngauamo/ Elvis Taione
17. Sona Taumalolo
18. Halani Aulika/
19. Lopeti Timani/Joseph Tuineau/Tukulua Lokotui
20. Sione Kalamafoni
21. Sonatane Takalua
22. Latiume Fosita/Martin Naufahu/Malietoa Hingano
23.Will Helu/Vili Iongi/Willis Halaholo/Otulea Katoa

ikaletahi answered you better than i could, even for the PNC is not a bad team, i don't know if some of these names (the list of ikaletahi) will be at the world cup (for example Ben Tameifuna doesn't say clearly he choose tonga) Samoa wasn't at full force too but instead of tonga these names were there against new zealand so you can expect them to be there at the world cup.
Fijian's squad for the PNC will be the same team at the world cup (+Nadolo maybe Nagusa who are actually injuried), they choose a different option

ikaletahi: Taniela Moa is out for the world cup? bad news.

Tonga has named an interesting Lineup to face Japan.Forced changes due to Injuries have 2 Hookers and 2 props on the bench. Exciting for Tongan supporters to see how Wayne Ngaluafe (Who has been apart of the Auckland Blues set up getting 2 caps) and Martin Naufahu who is apart of the Melbourne Rebels set up go. Also Kalafi Pongi who played for the u20 All Blacks in 2012.

15. Lilo
14. Katoa
13. Piukala
12. Tahitua
11. Vainikolo
10. Morath
9. Takalua
8. T-Pole
7. Latu
6. Ram
5. Kolo'ofai
4. Lokotui
3. Aulika
2. Taione
1. Mailau

16. Pongi
17. Tongauiha
18. Puafisi
19. Sakalia
20. Fihaki
21. Ngaluafe
22. Naufahu
23. Fosita

tonga beats japan 31-20 and so they finished at the 3rd place and japan at 4th

I guess Tongan supporters can take comfort in the fact they won 3 games without really playing well. Hopefully they can get a few more players before the World Cup.

Another heartbreaking loss for Canada and overall a horrid showing in the 2015 PNC. I believe Canada is now something like 2-11 recently. Awful heading into the RWC.

Some thoughts:
- The 7s players are consistently playing poorly in 15s. Hearn's tackling was poor, Moonlight couldn't maul and took the ball as scrumhalf rather than ruck (7s!), which backfired, Trainor makes an ill advised offload on his own goal line and can't catch a high ball under pressure. They are good players but look way too laid back for 15s rugby. I'm not blaming the players, but not playing 15s on a regular basis is harming these guys immensely. I love Phil Mack but even his pass is a bit all over which is easier to tolerate in 7s.

The game plan seems to be to work the ball wide, but it is just four passes to the wing, 5-15 yards gained, and eventually there is a knock on, penalty or a player goes out of bounds. Canada needs some punch up the middle. All they really attempted with any oomph were a few obvious crash balls off of lineouts in the 10-12 channel with backs. That's it. They can't just go side-to-side all the time as they don't have an overlap or go forward ball in the first place and can't retain possession long enough to string together 5-15 phases of this. Canada also seems loathe to kick or play a possession game. I get that they want to run, but most of the better teams in world rugby, including the all blacks, kick pretty frequently. It isn't a mix that is working.

The player combinations used by Crowley, to date, don't make any sense to me, and this dates back to last year. It has just seemed all over the map and it is hard to say any single player (aside from the obvious) has been given the opportunity to cement a role or to build some chemistry.

The lineout was awful.

The team as a whole lacks physically dominant players. The USA looked better in this regard.

Thoughts on players:

The Bad:
- Jamie McKenzie did not play great. Many passes to nobody in particular.
- I hope Hubert Buydens is that much better than the next prop at scrummaging because he has awful hands. Every game he makes a bad pass or knocks the ball on multiple times. I guess he's the best we have.
- Aaron Carpenter's throws seemed wonky today.
- Conor Trainor should not make the RWC squad based on that game. Not a good game at all.
- Hearn looked pedestrian.
- Before leaving injured Beukeboom didn't look fantastic.
- Jones looked tentative and didn't make much of an impact running or kicking.

The Good:
- Evan Olmstead played smart and hard. Doesn't seem like the most athletic guy, but I liked what I saw out of him.
- Barkwill made a case for the #1 spot at hooker. Good tackling.
- Blevins and Connor Braid attacked well.
- Hassler!!!
- Liam Underwood - doesn't really attack the line and just shuffles the ball along at times, but that seems to be the game plan. Given his athleticism that seems to be a bit of a waste. This guy is legit. I hope he is able to play 15s rather than 7s as I don't see how you could possibly ever develop into an international 10 playing mainly 7s rugby. I worry about his durability, but he's very good.
- Phelan does his job, but is unspectacular, makes little impact in contact.
- Richard Thorpe is a solid player and I'd think he should be a starter for the RWC.

I'm mostly worried about the might of the Canadian forwards and the general game plan for the RWC. In spite of the negatives I think Canada could give a respectable enough showing, though there need to be massive changes if we want to progress in the future and keep pace with the Japan's or even - gulp - USAs.

Ugh, Jamie MacKenzie was terrible.

I think your being a little harsh on Trainor though, he was **** on the high balls but he had a decent game. Most of the squad was pretty bad except Hassler and Braid really.

It's more like 3-15/16.

Ugh, Jamie MacKenzie was terrible.

I think your being a little harsh on Trainor though, he was **** on the high balls but he had a decent game. Most of the squad was pretty bad except Hassler and Braid really.

It's more like 3-15/16.

I actually thought Mackenzie was physically getting around well and was making good decisions in general. His pass is often decent, but he was literally passing at nobody in particular a few times, which to me says he was nervous or just not in sync with the offense.

I've always found Trainor's play uneven and he just tries to do too much. The offload on his own 5 was very poor. I'd play the likes of Jones/McKenzie/Evans/Pritchard ahead of him on the wing.

Last edited:
I actually thought Mackenzie was physically getting around well and was making good decisions in general. His pass is often decent, but he was literally passing at nobody in particular a few times, which to me says he was nervous or just not in sync with the offense.

I've always found Trainor's play uneven and he just tries to do too much. The offload on his own 5 was very poor. I'd play the likes of Jones/McKenzie/Evans/Pritchard ahead of him on the wing.

Missed the offload unfortunately, but that is usually a bad decision. I bet someone had a few words with him later and hopefully he'll learn and never do it again.

It was Jamie's first start (6th cap I believe) so no doubt he was a little nervous. I'd feel better with McRorie or Mack on the pitch to be honest.

Really excited to see MacGinty during the world cup, all though he's playing for the Americans.

Latest posts