• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canterbury vs Counties Manukau Ranfurly Shield match

Dizzy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
All Blacks Owen Franks and Brad Thorn provide some real horsepower to the Canterbury engine room for their first Ranfurly Shield defence of the season against Counties Manukau on Saturday.
The international duo are back for a one-off provincial outing before reassembling with the All Blacks for their tour north next week, but Canterbury coach Rob Penney has had no hesitation in calling them up for the 5.30pm clash against Tana Umaga and his Steelers.
Their availability is timely, to say the least. Tighthead prop Franks replaces Peter Borlase, who has a shoulder injury, and lock Thorn comes in for Luke Romano, who injured a knee in the 26-16 shield victory over Southland in Invercargill last weekend.
Franks has played one game for Canterbury this season -- the 28-9 victory over Bay of Plenty on September 3 - but it will be Thorn's first match for the Red and Blacks in 2010.
In the other change from last week's starting lineup, All Black Sam Whitelock, who played at blindside flanker against Southland, is unavailable and replaced by Ash Parker.
The backline is unchanged from last weekend, which means Sonny Bill Williams will get his much-anticipated matchup at No 12 against his mentor, Umaga.
Williams is expected to be named in the All Black touring squad on Sunday but will be eager to sign off on that with a strong performance against the man who helped persauade him to return to New Zealand.
Several Canterbury players will tick off milestones in the shield defence. Prop Wyatt Crockett will receive his second blazer for 62 matches, wing Telusa Veainu will earn his first blazer (12th game) and lock Isaac Ross will be making his 50th appearance for the union.
The 19-year-old Veainu has played every game for Canterbury this season. He has scored six tries, including the opener against Southland last weekend.
The match will be Counties Manukau's second shield challenge of the season after they gave Southland a run for their money in round three.
Penney said he was expecting a stiff test from the talented Steelers outfit.
"Counties have a lot of firepower in their backs and they've proven to be very effective broken-field runners this season. Our defence will have to be top-drawer, just as it was against Southland."
Canterbury wing Tu Umaga-Marshall will also be pumped for the clash. He is Tana Umaga's nephew and will be desperate to win the family battle.

CANTERBURY: 15 Sean Maitland, 14 Tu Umaga-Marshall, 13 Robbie Fruean, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Telusa Veainu, 10 Colin Slade, 9 Andy Ellis (capt); 8 Nasi Manu, 7 Matt Todd, 6 Ash Parker, 5 Isaac Ross, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Steve Fualau, 1 Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: 16 Paul Ngauamo, 17 Andrew Olorenshaw, 18 Rob Verbnnakel, 19 Brendon O'Connor, 20 Willi Heinz, 21 Stephen Brett, 22 Ryan Crotty.

Source: Stuff.co.nz

Should be a great game

Good on Wyatt for his 62 matches served for his club, Canterbury. Veainu gets a blazer for playing 12 games??...

Definately be a good game between these 2 inform teams.

I wonder if Tana and Sonny will even cross paths in a physical confrontation this week?...if so I hope its no mates on the field for the 2.

Last edited:
Good on Wyatt for his 62 matches served for is club, Canterbury. Veainu gets a blazer for playing 12 games??...

Definately be a good game between these 2 inform teams.

I wonder if Tana and Sonny will even cross paths in a physical confrontation this week?...if so I hope its no mates on the field for the 2.

I was wondering the same thing... Yeah I hope both do very well... Although I really want Umaga to give SBW a good hiding, I know SBW has the skillset to cope with the playing style of Tana Umaga. But I do see Umaga targeting SBW's offloads a hell of a lot, and he will be directing his backline to watch the wild offloads as Umaga attempts the ball and all tackle..

Ahsee Tuala has been an intercept king this season and if SBW throws too many of his super saiyan offloads, I can see Tuala dotting down for an intercepted try.

Everybody knows Sonny likes to offload, so his offloads are due for an intercept from an anticipating opponent whos done his homework or one that knows how he plays, one such as Tana. However Im sure the thought of him (SBW) giving away an intercept has cautioned Sonny mentally many times before.

What makes Sonny's offload so 'super saiyan' is that its made secure by him making himself a handfull to put down. While the defenders are fully commited and all their attention and efforts on bringing him down, out comes the ball carrying arm and 'pop' goes the offload. For most occasions anyway....

By the way, I thought I was done with cartoons when I hit 13 or so and then when I seen Dragonball Z I found myself watching cartoons again for a bit HA. One of the greatest moments in history is when Goku rises as a super saiyan against Frieza, ask any teenager :)

The moment players start hanging off him waiting for an intercept is the moment where SBW scythes right through the line. As Sam said, it takes so many guys to bring him down, if someone hangs off he will exploit it.

I wonder if Tana and Sonny will even cross paths in a physical confrontation this week?...

someone should make a thread for this :p

glad to see Kolomaitagi is bracketted to start he was the best forward for counties in their early games

their halfback Fisilau has been incredible, but they always sub him off in the second half i don't understand why, and often counties go into half time leading and then its the second half where they fall off

Last edited:
Everybody knows Sonny likes to offload, so his offloads are due for an intercept from an anticipating opponent whos done his homework or one that knows how he plays, one such as Tana. However Im sure the thought of him (SBW) giving away an intercept has cautioned Sonny mentally many times before.

What makes Sonny's offload so 'super saiyan' is that its made secure by him making himself a handfull to put down. While the defenders are fully commited and all their attention and efforts on bringing him down, out comes the ball carrying arm and 'pop' goes the offload. For most occasions anyway....

By the way, I thought I was done with cartoons when I hit 13 or so and then when I seen Dragonball Z I found myself watching cartoons again for a bit HA. One of the greatest moments in history is when Goku rises as a super saiyan against Frieza, ask any teenager :)

Agreed

The moment players start hanging off him waiting for an intercept is the moment where SBW scythes right through the line. As Sam said, it takes so many guys to bring him down, if someone hangs off he will exploit it.

I don't mean hang off him. Tuala is a winger, Umaga and Sonny are at second five. Not only are the loosies going to be committed to tackling SBW, but Umaga has proved he is still one of the hardest men to get passed/through in the world of rugby and I don't see SBW being a problem for Umaga on defense. As long as Umaga is fully commited to bringing Sonny down, there is no need for his centres or wingers to stand on the fence of, hang off or commit.
Ahsee Tuala has scored many tries this year through intercepted passes and Sonny's offload combined with Umaga's defensive presence is an opportunity too good to pass up for Tuala.
I don't think Counties will win this match though. The Canterbury train is on too much of a roll and now they have Owen Franks and Brad Thorn back. It get's worse for the Steelers.

someone should make a thread for this :p

glad to see Kolomaitagi is bracketted to start he was the best forward for counties in their early games

their halfback Fisilau has been incredible, but they always sub him off in the second half i don't understand why, and often counties go into half time leading and then its the second half where they fall off

Fisilau is huge, and incredible powerful for a halfback, and does have some quite nice skills. Unfortunately he is incredibly slow around the field - he only seems to make it to every second ruck, you will often see Sherwin Stowers passing from the base of the ruck. He seems to get to fewer rucks as the games go on, hence he is subbed - he needs to do some serious work on his fitness levels if he is to make it to Super 14 level.

Tana found Williams a bit of a handful I think. For the sake of the Blues I hope beauden barrett lives up to the hype by next year, Brett was :eek:

Tana found Williams a bit of a handful I think.

No doubt. Sonny is one of the biggest 2nd 5s Ive ever seen running around in and for NZ, Scott McLeod, John Leslie and Lees Stensness also were quite tall but height and weight wise I dont think they were as big as Sonny. Both Tana and Sonny played hard and well, good stuff.

On a slightly different note, thats why I call him and Fruean the twin towers. They're both quite tall compared to other centre combinations in the ITM.

Last edited:
Offload?

And just when all the nay-sayers start spouting that SBW is just a one-trick-pony with his offloads, out comes a new trick (taught to him by Aaron Mauger), the attacking grubber kick... and it results in a try to the Cantabs.

Aaron must have had a smile on his face after that one.

Offload?

And just when all the nay-sayers start spouting that SBW is just a one-trick-pony with his offloads, out comes a new trick (taught to him by Aaron Mauger), the attacking grubber kick... and it results in a try to the Cantabs.

Aaron must have had a smile on his face after that one.
A 2nd 5/8th that can grubber...that is mighty impressive.

A 2nd 5/8th that can grubber...that is mighty impressive.

Yeah it was a good option and execution but I think he'd be one of the worst kicking 12s Ive seen thus far, despite that penalty try that came from his well-weighted chip. His other kick hit the reff :)

why would you want a guy THAT big kicking anyway? i'd have him running at everyone all day.

why would you want a guy THAT big kicking anyway? i'd have him running at everyone all day.

Because if you only got one trick in your book, you will become predictable, and the oppo will work out how to counter your trick.

But if you have got two (or more) in your book, you are more likely to keep the oppo guessing.

Ask a boxer and he'll tell you; if your only "big" punch is a "straight-right", then all your opponent has to do is defend against it, and then wear you down.

However, it you also have a "left shovel-hook" and a "right uppercut" in your repertoire, that gives your opponent more things to defend and more places to look

Good game... Counties trying to come back too late in the game. And Sonny had a strong performance, his try saving ankle tap on Sherwin Stowers definitely was a gamebreaking moment. If Sonny hadn't dove and made the attempt Stowers would have been gone and the Counties boys hopes would have shot right up...
Great running play from Sonny and he put a good shoulder on Umaga, [but Umaga spun out and still looked for the offload] and got around him to score a try. Umaga had Sonny pretty well contained though but his age and fatique was evident. He managed to stop a rampaging Robbie Fruean a couple of times and overall I think Umaga can pat himself on the back for a good performance. It showed when he left the field how much of an impact he makes for his teammates, after Umaga left the field, Counties didn't look like they knew what to do with the ball at all.
Great game for SBW, congrats on his All Blacks selection and good luck on his upcoming tour where I hope he has a chance to annihilate our fellow rugby lovers in the north

Latest posts