• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 ITM Cup] Round 3

Haha, yeah sorry bro - I got a bit carried away. I gotta bail on this thread for a while anyway. - too much other stuff to do.
Good luck with your betting career ;)
Looking forward to today though. I love watching Counties so here's hoping the weather is good up there and they play an expansive game!

The weather in Auckland is an absolute shambles so I can't imagine it is much better in Pukekohe. Won't be a spectacle I wouldn't have thought but it will probably be a close one.

I think Counties will go on to win this tbh. Hawkes Bay really didn't score enough tries in their first half dominance. Counties were always going to get the ball rolling in the 2nd and now that it's 20-16, I think HB are in realy trouble of slowly losing this one.

Actually might refute my words. Tense last 10 for all participants.

All these lost lineouts have been Counties downfall.

Last edited:
What a game!!!!!!!

That defence at the end of the game by HB. Ended up being on tops with my bets, having a bet on HB +5, total points being over 44.5 and HB 1-12 (that was an inplay bet).

Caught the last quarter, great ending! Thought for sure HB were going to get someone binned.
Well done though, fought for the shield and deserved.

Kind of glad HB won it tbh. Means Canterbury are unlikely to grab it this season, if Counties had won today, they were probably going to inevitably lose it to Canterbury.

Otago play away to Hawkes Bay in two weeks...
Otago won it least year, Hawkes Bay from them and then Counties, now its gone back to Hawkes Bay; hmm ;)

Holy mother of... Southlands jerseys have to be the worse jerseys in the history of sport :eek:

Otago play away to Hawkes Bay in two weeks...
Otago won it least year, Hawkes Bay from them and then Counties, now its gone back to Hawkes Bay; hmm ;)

And if Otago win it, their first challenge will be against Waikato... Who they took it off last year! What a quirk of the draw.

Very disappointed with Jackson's refereeing in the Harbour Waikato game. Set a very poor standard early on when a Harbour player was not yellow carded for holding back Weber from a quick tap - clearly cynical, should've been straight to the pocket. His advantages also seems to be completely erratic in length.

Ah well, a win's a win!

And if Otago win it, their first challenge will be against Waikato... Who they took it off last year! What a quirk of the draw.
Funny how that works out. I like the shield, it's pretty cool to see where it gets to, and it's treated seriously, not just a "hey look what we got" trophy like I see in other tournaments. Funny how Canterbury haven't held it since 2010, despite winning the tournament every year since 2008.

Found this young lad in the Waikato squad, hope dad brings him over if he is any good ;)
Waikato Rugby Union

Funny how that works out. I like the shield, it's pretty cool to see where it gets to, and it's treated seriously, not just a "hey look what we got" trophy like I see in other tournaments. Funny how Canterbury haven't held it since 2010, despite winning the tournament every year since 2008.

Found this young lad in the Waikato squad, hope dad brings him over if he is any good ;)
Waikato Rugby Union

If he has the first five skills of his father you are welcome to have him ;) I don't know a lot about him to be honest. I'm sure his father - a former hooker - is pretty disappointed to have a son that plays in the backs though!

Anyways.... Good to see Otago get another win. Despite the 11 point margin it felt like a 50:50 match on the field. Both sides benefited from intercept tries but in the end goal-kicking was the main difference between the sides. Both sides need to do a lot of work on defense, as there were a lot of missed tackles.....

Halaholo was again an massive threat in Southland's midfield. He setup Jackman's try brilliantly, and even if he was generally predictable he was very hard to stop. He (like his midfield partner Vaega) still looks to have issues on defense, but I do wonder if someone like the Crusaders will look to pick him up next season as he has some undoubted attacking potential....

There weren't too many standouts for Otago IMO. Walden was the pick of the backs for me - his defense in particular was impressive. Trent Renata did some good things at fullback too. Franklin was the pick of the forwards for me, though I thought Dawai made a good impact when he came on.

I saw parts of the Waikato vs North Harbour match too, though it was a pretty scrappy game (not helped by the conditions). McKenzie again did some brilliant things with ball in hand - he could be a sensational player in a few years time. Lienert-Brown had some nice touches, and Joe Webber looks good going forward (not so much in defense or under the high ball though..), and Kerr-Barlow did some good things once he came on. I feel Waikato are missing a powerful ball runner in the forward pack - Faiva did make a couple of strong runs, but they were all standing on the wing (as is usual for him..).

As for North Harbour..... hmmm.... Manihera tried hard up front. That's about as big a complement I can give to their forwards! McGahan can tackle. Ahki can break tackles (though still needs to work on his distribution). Raikuna had a good work rate. Unfortunately Raikuna's work rate may have cost them the match. Time and time again he popped up off his wing in the middle on the backline when North Harbour had a good overlap out wide (with one Tevita Li at the end of the chain), and time and time again Raikuna cut back in against the traffic and the opportunity was lost....

Taranaki finally playing the rugby they're capable of (as they showed during the week as well). Potential semi finalists if they keep this up. They just look dangerous whenever they get the ball now.

Taranaki finally playing the rugby they're capable of (as they showed during the week as well). Potential semi finalists if they keep this up. They just look dangerous whenever they get the ball now.

It will be interesting to see which side picks up Marty McKenzie for Super Rugby next year. You'd have to think only the Highlanders and maybe the Blues could be in need of another first five. I think he's a step up from Parker to be honest, though Sopoaga has started to look very good in the latter half of 2014.

I almost forget he's only 22 years old!

Just got back from work... Bugger! Great first up experience with betting ;) I finally put my money where my mouth is and everything turns to custard!

I've placed three $5 bets on other games now...

Manawatu +5.5 @ $2.50
Hawke's Bay H2H @ $2.80
Tasman H2H @ $2.55

Bugger, half a metre away from three out of three ;)

It will be interesting to see which side picks up Marty McKenzie for Super Rugby next year. You'd have to think only the Highlanders and maybe the Blues could be in need of another first five. I think he's a step up from Parker to be honest, though Sopoaga has started to look very good in the latter half of 2014.

I almost forget he's only 22 years old!

Good to hear McKenzie has been playing well. I haven't seen much of Taranaki at all this season, but by the sounds of it McKenzie has been central to their strong performances of late. I was worried his promising career may have been ruined after being brought into the Blues in 2012 far before he was ready....

I'm still not 100% convinced about him at 10, but at least he is getting extended time in the same position (rather than being shifted between 10 and 15). Like his brother Damian he seems to identify space well and has a good eye for the gap (and enough pace to go through the gap), but I've never been convinced he has the required kicking game for a 10. Obviously this hasn't been a big issue for Taranaki as they have spent a lot of time on attack, and he has had James Marshall at 12/15 to share the kicking responsibilities. He has never been a reliable goal-kicker either if I recall correctly (I'm not sure what it has been like this season?). He certainly has the potential to be a good Super Rugby player - I will certainly be keeping an eye on him when I finally get around to watching Taranaki properly this season!

Good to hear McKenzie has been playing well. I haven't seen much of Taranaki at all this season, but by the sounds of it McKenzie has been central to their strong performances of late. I was worried his promising career may have been ruined after being brought into the Blues in 2012 far before he was ready....

I'm still not 100% convinced about him at 10, but at least he is getting extended time in the same position (rather than being shifted between 10 and 15). Like his brother Damian he seems to identify space well and has a good eye for the gap (and enough pace to go through the gap), but I've never been convinced he has the required kicking game for a 10. Obviously this hasn't been a big issue for Taranaki as they have spent a lot of time on attack, and he has had James Marshall at 12/15 to share the kicking responsibilities. He has never been a reliable goal-kicker either if I recall correctly (I'm not sure what it has been like this season?). He certainly has the potential to be a good Super Rugby player - I will certainly be keeping an eye on him when I finally get around to watching Taranaki properly this season!

His goal kicking has not been great, sitting at just above 68%. The type of game Taranaki has employed so far this season has not been particularly reliant on kicking, so I haven't been able to get a gauge on his field kicking yet. His attack has been excellent, however, and I think he could be lethal in combination with a guy like Aaron Smith.

Just a quick word on Tawera Kerr-Barlow. He's played in two games this season, racking up 18 tackles in the process (3 missed). Compared with other halfbacks, he has made the third highest number of tackles in the competition (equal with Bryn Hall), though I might have missed a player or two.

1 Chris Eaton - 28/33 (85%) - 228 minutes played
2 Augustine Pulu - 24/26 (92%) - 225 minutes played
3= Tawera Kerr-Barlow - 18/21 (86%) - 82 minutes played
3= Bryn Hall - 18/22 (82%) - 220 minutes played

A lot of people criticise Kerr-Barlow - particularly your average commenter on news websites (most seem to be Cantabrians who can't get over why Ellis and/or Heinz isn't in the squad), but this gives a nice (if a little bit unscientific) indication of why he is so highly rated by some.

I see that Jason Marshall played in Hawkes Bay shield challenge yesterday, how did he go?

Latest posts