• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Glasgow

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Cardiff.png
Glasgow.png
</div>

Gavin Evans comes in for Jamie Roberts who has been ruled out for 10 days with a neck injury. Gareth Cooper returns to start at scrum-half. There's 2 changes in the front row with Williams and Powell starting, Deinol Jones partners ***o while Warburton and Powell both start in the back row.

Glasgow have delayed naming their side because of a flu bug which has affected 20 members of the squad.

Cardiff Blues: 15 Ben Blair, 14 Richard Mustoe, 13 Tom Shanklin, 12 Gavin Evans, 11 Gareth Thomas, 10 Sam Norton-Knight, 9 Gareth Cooper

1 John Yapp, 2 Gareth Williams, 3 Gary Powell, 4 Deiniol Jones, 5 Paul ***o©, 6 Sam Warburton, 7 Robin Sowden-Taylor, 8 Andy Powell

Replacements: 16 Darren Morris, 17 Rhys Williams, 18 Bradley Davies, 19 Scott Morgan, 20 Richie Rees / Darren Allinson, 21 Ceri Sweeney, 22 Leigh Halfpenny

Glasgow:
Forwards: John Barclay, Tim Barker, Johnnie Beattie, Kelly Brown, Calum Forrester, Dougie Hall, Alastair Kellock, Moray Low, Pat MacArthur, Kevin Tkachuk, Dan Turner, Richie Vernon, Jon Welsh
Backs: Chris Cusiter, Rob Dewey, Thom Evans, Colin Gregor, Dave McCall, DTH van der Merwe, Graeme Morrison, Hefin O’Hare, Dan Parks, Bernardo Stortoni, Colin Shaw

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 1 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought Tom James was back for this match?[/b]

They were saying that he would be ready but I guess if there's any doubt they won't risk it. Better he's fit for the HEC game against Harlequins the following week, it's not like the Blues are short of wingers.

However the backrow looks a bit short on grunt, could be very quick around the pitch though.

15 Bernardo Stortoni

14 Rob Dewey
13 Dave McCall
12 Graeme Morrison
11 Thom Evans

10 Dan Parks
9 Chris Cusiter

1 Jon Welsh
2 Dougie Hall
3 Moray Low
4 Tim Barker
5 Alastair Kellock CAPTAIN
6 Richie Vernon
7 John Barclay
8 Johnnie Beattie

Substitutes
16 Pat MacArthur
17 Kevin Tkachuk
18 Dan Turner
19 Kelly Brown
20 Colin Gregor
21 Hefin O’Hare
22 DTH van der Merwe

Parks vs Norton-Knight. Should be the highlight of the weekend. After seing van der Merwe during the summer I'm dissapointed that he hasn't been starting on the wing ahead of Dewey. Should be a close game.

van der Merwe has been injured, hasn't he? He'll get half a game or so I'd expect.

Suppose so Blindside6, although I'd have liked to see Tom James get a run out so he's up to speed by next weekend. No point risking another injury though. Powell adds the gruns I suppose, although it's now up to Sowden-Taylor and Warberton to do the work of 3.

Going to need a massive effort for the pack if the Blues are going to win this one. I cant call it.

Mustoe played very very well in the last game though and Im looking forward to seeing him out there again. He was throwing his weight around for such a small fella. I think Gavin Evans is the weak link in the backline and I expect Glasgow to capitalise on that.

Gavin Evans was excellent against the Tigers in the first friendly. End of.

Leigh Halfpenny has been brought to fullback because Ben Blair has pulled out, Chris Czejai moves onto the bench.

It should be an interesting matchup if nothing else to see who is still starting/standing at the end of the game. Glasgow has had 20 players with the flu this week and the Blues have more injuries... if my memory is correct, our team injuries to date are:

Nugget
Melon
Ben Blair
Richie Rees
Rush
Molitika
Filise

Did I miss any?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/8277496.stm

Glasgow Warriors: Bernardo Stortoni, Rob Dewey, Dave McCall, Graeme Morrison, Thom Evans, Dan Parks, Chris Cusiter, Jon Welsh, Dougie Hall, Moray Low, Tim Barker, Alastair Kellock (capt), Richie Vernon, John Barclay, Johnnie Beattie.

Replacements: Pat MacArthur, Kevin Tkachuk, Dan Turner, Kelly Brown, Colin Gregor, Hefin O'Hare, DTH van der Merwe.

Only 1 change to the side from last week with Richie Vernon in for Kelly Brown.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 2 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gavin Evans was excellent against the Tigers in the first friendly. End of.

Leigh Halfpenny has been brought to fullback because Ben Blair has pulled out, Chris Czejai moves onto the bench.[/b]

He played ok against the tigers. What I don't like is that he is not very good at the defence system that the blues use and it shows up when he comes off the bench. He'll probably have a blinder now knowing my luck! I Cannot wait for Lulala to get over here.

Yeah, he's fond of a treat, Casey Laulalala. Soon as the NZ season ends, he hops on a plane and gets started with the UK season.

The Blues are hardly lacking world-class centres, but he's not a bad signing.

Rybbish! Mistakes have cost the Blues dear tonight. They're just not playing atall well. Glasgow have put a lot of pressure on the Blues and forced mistakes. The Blues will go nowhere this season the way they're playing.

Edit: It's 0-21 by the way!

5-21

Sam Warbuton scored all the Blues points. By which I mean one try. *Sigh* They where terrible, on the whole.

Andy Powell and Gareth Williams turned up to play, but they where the only ones.

On the plus side, Andy Powell's drop goal attempt (Pretty close, as well) was the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

Finishes 21-5 to Glasgow. Pretty embarrassing stuff from the Blues, some great line breaks mixed with shocking handling and poor control at the breakdown. Glasgow probably could've scored more from Blues errors if they were more clinical.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 3 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
5-21

Sam Warbuton scored all the Blues points. By which I mean one try. *Sigh* They where terrible, on the whole.

Andy Powell and Gareth Williams turned up to play, but they where the only ones.

On the plus side, Andy Powell's drop goal attempt (Pretty close, as well) was the funniest thing I've seen in ages.[/b]

*splutters*

sorry...what?

lol yeah. He was heroic today in defence. Some of the covering he did was amazing for a hooker, getting to 3 hacked through balls before Thom Evans.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the Blues, they just can't finish off their chances. Glasgow did nothing, yet it was a hammering.

Worrying times for Dai Young. Can't see them getting through their group in the HC, without any kinda momentum, and no confidence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Oct 3 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 3 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5-21

On the plus side, Andy Powell's drop goal attempt (Pretty close, as well) was the funniest thing I've seen in ages.[/b]

*splutters*

sorry...what?
[/b][/quote]
Near-identical positioning to Sexton's in the HEC final, too. Near the touchline and on half way. He got it just over the line, but it was wide.

He also had a moment just before it of sprinting down the wing and then chippnig over the fullback's head.

I can't help but think the Blues have solved their Fly-Half problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Oct 3 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 3 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5-21

*splutters*

sorry...what?
[/b][/quote]

Was from 50odd metres aswell. Stypid bloody thing to do imo. Complete waste. He did have a decent game though, carried well. But he was again non existent in every other espect.

Latest posts