• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Leicester

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Cardiff.png
Leicester.png

Cardiff Blues v Leicester</div>

The unbeaten Cardiff Blues take on Leicester as they look to make their first HEC final since the regions came into existence.

For Leicester it's old ground as they play in their sixth semi final.

With 6 Lions in their squad they'll all be eager to impress the no doubt watching Lions coaching staff whereas Harry Ellis will be lucky to even start given the form of Dupuy, nice pick Geech!

Given their form in Europe this season it would be quite an upset if the Blues weren't taking on Munster in Edinburgh on May 23 but if there's any team you'd back to upset the odds Leicester would be top of your list.

Still though it should be a home win.

"The unbeaten [insert Welsh region here] take on Leicester as they look to make their first HEC final since the regions came into existence."

Mmm, sounds familiar.

At least the Blues weren't cheated out of a home semi. Should be a win for them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Apr 27 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"The unbeaten [insert Welsh region here] take on Leicester as they look to make their first HEC final since the regions came into existence."

Mmm, sounds familiar.

At least the Blues weren't cheated out of a home semi. Should be a win for them.[/b]

nah but Toulouse certainly were.

Should be a great game, both teams appear to be in great form. I've gotta back the Blues though, their entire squad is on a high, and they have proved in the last month that they can win in any way they need to. They can dog it out when necissary (i.e. v Tolouse) or they can open up and score tries from anywhere on the pitch (ala v Gloucester).

I'm still weary of Leicester, they're off the back of smashing Bristol by 70+ points (that's gotta give you some confidence, no matter if it was weak opposition) and they are one of those teams that know how to win big games.

Should be in line for another cracker.

Ive been reading some interviews on walesonline.co.uk. Seems as though Mauger will be fit, so the big dispute is whether Vesty or Flood plays 10. I personally would feel alot better if Flood was there. He's nowhere near as solid as Vesty and Martyn Williams will certainly get to him.

I think this game is more even than any game this season.

Cardiff are tough and smart. Leicester are exciting, but a bit lightweight.

Leicester have the history at this stage of the fight, so who knows?

If Cardiff win, the Munstering will be efficient - a good lesson for the future.

If Leicester win, the Munstering will be awesome!

I'd expect a Cardiff win if recent form is anything to go by, but then again anybody writes Leicester off at this point of the season at their own peril.

Still, whoever wins this, just so long as they beat "everybodys 2nd favourite team" (all 78,000,000 of them) in the final then I'll be pleased.

Teams...

Cardiff Blues: B Blair; Halfpenny; Shanklin, Roberts, James; Robinson, Rees; G Jenkins, G Williams, Filise, Davies, ***o (capt), Molitika, M Williams, Rush.

Replacements: Yapp, T Rhys Thomas, D Jones, Powell, Allinson, Sweeney, G Thomas.

Leicester: G Murphy (capt); Hamilton; Hipkiss, Vesty; J Murphy; Flood, Dupuy; Ayerza, Chuter, Castrogiovanni, Croft, Kay, Newby, Woods, Crane.

Replacements: Kayser, White, Wentzel, Moody, Ellis, Mauger, Smith.

Im very happy that Mauger is on the bench, its a different backline when he's playing. Cardiff wont be writing Leicester off. Really looking forward to this one now!

Richie Rees is the main weakness in that Blues lineup. They should tell him to get the ball out and let Nicky control the came. If he does his usual running up blind alleys, Leicester will have plenty of turn-over posetion! I'm just not a fan atall, he's average in just about every aspect of his game, not a great passer of the ball, not that quick, not atall intelligent and although he's aggressive and pretty strong, he's not on the same level as someone like Phillips. As soon as Cooper arrives to add some much needed zip at the back of scrums and rucks the better, develop Allinson into the backup as he's a far more gifted player that Rees.

I have full confidence in the boys, they are fully capable of taking this game by the scruff of the neck and controling it from the kick-off. This should mean a game played at the Blues pace (controlled, but with bursts of speed and power). Expect Tom James and Leigh Halfpenny to come into midfield and create havok, they are the perfect foil for the two bashers at centre. They really have got great balance in their entire 22, Powell to come on when Rush or Molatika begin to tire and carry on from where Rush left off and prove his Lions place was the right call.

God I'm looking forward to this now. Wish I could have gone to see it. Stupid uni work :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ May 2 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Richie Rees is the main weakness in that Blues lineup. They should tell him to get the ball out and let Nicky control the came. If he does his usual running up blind alleys, Leicester will have plenty of turn-over posetion! I'm just not a fan atall, he's average in just about every aspect of his game, not a great passer of the ball, not that quick, not atall intelligent and although he's aggressive and pretty strong, he's not on the same level as someone like Phillips. As soon as Cooper arrives to add some much needed zip at the back of scrums and rucks the better, develop Allinson into the backup as he's a far more gifted player that Rees.

I have full confidence in the boys, they are fully capable of taking this game by the scruff of the neck and controling it from the kick-off. This should mean a game played at the Blues pace (controlled, but with bursts of speed and power). Expect Tom James and Leigh Halfpenny to come into midfield and create havok, they are the perfect foil for the two bashers at centre. They really have got great balance in their entire 22, Powell to come on when Rush or Molatika begin to tire and carry on from where Rush left off and prove his Lions place was the right call.

God I'm looking forward to this now. Wish I could have gone to see it. Stupid uni work :([/b]

I'm not a big fan of Rees either, but I've always seen him as exactly the same player as Spice but without as much experience. Don't think it will affect them too much, he did his job well (pretty much just getting the ball out to Robinson like you said) against Gloucester, so hopefully he can do it again tomorrow.
Can't wait for the match either, wish I could go but all my usual rugby going group are either busy, going with family, skint or have turned into CCFC Hooligans <_<

Share your concerns with Richie Rees. But from the off at the Gloucester game he seemed very down to earth and focused. If he emulates his glaws delivery and general performance he should be fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 2 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
just so long as they beat "everybodys 2nd favourite team" (all 78,000,000 of them) in the final then I'll be pleased.[/b]
Done. Thank you very much. Whos next!

Don't really care, the Munster glorys hunters may just keep their gobs shut for a few months now so all is good with the world.

Unless of course, being typical glory hunters, they all suddenly become Leinster fans...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 3 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't really care, the Munster glorys hunters may just keep their gobs shut for a few months now so all is good with the world.

Unless of course, being typical glory hunters, they all suddenly become Leinster fans...[/b]

yeah the Lunsters will suddenly rediscover their blue side over the next 3 weeks. We could even find ourselves with a few Meinsters!

What will they all become if Cardiff win the trophy? :huh: Leindiff and Mundiffs?

Latest posts