• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Leicester

Feel sorry for the blues fans and martyn williams. In a strange way i'm glad it was him that missed. Not because he deserved it, but because he's got the ability, temperament and opportunity to bounce back, plus he is so good noone could blame him for the loss. Much worse if a youngster missed it and it knocked their confidence.

i didn't see the match, but it really sounds like it was a cracker. Sounded like we deserved to be winning, but 2 tries in the final minutes is sensational. Credit to cardiff, but 3 scores was too big a task.

i think the media really gave Tigers a boost before the game, all the talk was of cardiffs form and ability. lots of talk of tigers having a good history but noone really suggested the current team were any good.
Final is too close to call.

I must say I like the drop goal shot out idea. It could probably be improved in some ways but it's nice to see something just that little bit different in a game of rugby.

Gutted we lost but what a game.

Dupuy shouldn't of been there for a start.

Tom James seemed to try to hard, according to my mates father whne he walked up, he looked like he didn't want it.
If you cant kick, just smack it staight and hard, and not run up to the left etc.

ahh well. Leicester did deserve the win, but if Blues did more when they had 13 men, who knows.

interesting that the only undefeated team in the competition this year won't win

did cardiff do a lap of honour. they probably should have

ending a game like that is retarded.... prolly the stupidest thing I have ever seen we have shootouts in ice hockey but only during non playoff matchups. In the playoffs in the NHL they play overtime until someone scores thats how it should be.... I saw one game a few years ago that had 5 20 min sudden death overtimes...

great game but an unsatisfactory ending with the shoot-out. Cardiff didnt really deserve the win but to go out to that was a bit of a joke IMO. It just devalues the result.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glosbigboy @ May 4 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
great game but an unsatisfactory ending with the shoot-out. Cardiff didnt really deserve the win but to go out to that was a bit of a joke IMO. It just devalues the result.[/b]

how else do you decide, another 5 mins of sudden death each way, then what? Has to end some time if the try count is level.

Cant go to a replay, but there has to be a better way then that kind of farce. Its like having a penalty shootout in football and making the players kick with their weaker foot while the centre forward has to play in goal. Its just not in tune with the game.

Maybe the option of removing a player from each side every 2 or 3 minutes of extra time with the next score to win it.

I dont know, but the finish should relate to the game of rugby, not soccer.

keep having the extra time but make it sudden death... after the first 20 min extra time make it sudden death if one team scores a try its over.... if a team scores a penalty goal or drop goal give the other team one last possession if they lose the ball in turnover, knock on etc its over.

this is championship rugby the semi final they should be playing until the deadlock is solved... having shootouts like that is fine during the regular season but in a championship game it should never come to that. Was very stupid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ May 4 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
this is championship rugby the semi final they should be playing until the deadlock is solved... having shootouts like that is fine during the regular season but in a championship game it should never come to that. Was very stupid.[/b]

at what point though do you say enough is enough, it's far from stupid, to continue playing till kingdom come would be more daft.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 5 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ May 4 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this is championship rugby the semi final they should be playing until the deadlock is solved... having shootouts like that is fine during the regular season but in a championship game it should never come to that. Was very stupid.[/b]

at what point though do you say enough is enough, it's far from stupid, to continue playing till kingdom come would be more daft.
[/b][/quote]

Maybe my North American sporting bias is showing a bit here but over here we don't like games settled by ties. In both Ice Hockey and Baseball it is impossible to have a draw during the regular season as well as in the playoffs, while in all the major American sports its impossible to have a tie as well.

This tie should not be broken by something as ridiculous as a penalty kick competition. The National Hockey League has refused to put in any such clauses in the Stanley Cup playoffs, as such games are played until one team scores a goal. The game alone is 60 min stop time while the extra overtime periods are 20 min each until someone scores. The game between Anaheim and Detroit was decided last night after 3 extra overtime periods. It was an epic struggle and Anaheim finally exposed Detroit late in the third overtime.

In Baseball extra innings are played until one team breaks the deadlock some games going 15 innings. In American Football the game is played in sudden death until one team scores. In the NBA the players continue to play for extra overtimes until one team has more points then the other at the end of overtime(s)

Now some may call these playoff games dire affairs but for hardcore fans and players of the game this is the only suitable way to win.

The Stanley Cup is considered the hardest trophy to win in professional sport over here as teams are forced to play 4 best of seven series to win the cup. Now imagine being in game seven of the Stanley Cup finals and having just played the best game of your life the winner is determined not by one team emerging as a victor out of pure dominance but out of the individual skill of a few select players. This would be totally unacceptable to any hockey fan and I don't know how Cardiff fans don't find this totally unacceptable

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ May 4 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 5 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ May 4 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Maybe my North American sporting bias is showing a bit here but over here we don't like games settled by ties. In both Ice Hockey and Baseball it is impossible to have a draw during the regular season as well as in the playoffs, while in all the major American sports its impossible to have a tie as well.

This tie should not be broken by something as ridiculous as a penalty kick competition. The National Hockey League has refused to put in any such clauses in the Stanley Cup playoffs, as such games are played until one team scores a goal. The game alone is 60 min stop time while the extra overtime periods are 20 min each until someone scores. The game between Anaheim and Detroit was decided last night after 3 extra overtime periods. It was an epic struggle and Anaheim finally exposed Detroit late in the third overtime.

In Baseball extra innings are played until one team breaks the deadlock some games going 15 innings. In American Football the game is played in sudden death until one team scores. In the NBA the players continue to play for extra overtimes until one team has more points then the other at the end of overtime(s)

Now some may call these playoff games dire affairs but for hardcore fans and players of the game this is the only suitable way to win.

The Stanley Cup is considered the hardest trophy to win in professional sport over here as teams are forced to play 4 best of seven series to win the cup. Now imagine being in game seven of the Stanley Cup finals and having just played the best game of your life the winner is determined not by one team emerging as a victor out of pure dominance but out of the individual skill of a few select players. This would be totally unacceptable to any hockey fan and I don't know how Cardiff fans don't find this totally unacceptable
[/b][/quote]
I agree...The shootout thing is retarded. I don't very often, if maybe never on this forum, sound the horn of excellence for North America, but it's one thing I think we've got right. No fan, no player, no coach wants to see a match or competition end like that. Sudden death overtimes at 10-20 min intervals seem most fitting. Even if they did what the NFL does and start them out nearer the goal line (try line in our case). Say, each team is given posession from a scrum at the 22 metre line...they either must score and retain possesion...they can either go for drop goal or try...if the possesion is lost from a turnover then the other team get's it on their 22 metre line....okay...maybe that's too gridiorinish now that I think about it, but something better than what happened.

I think we need some way of splitting two teams at the end of the game so I have no problem with the shootout. You can't just play on forever. You don't want a ref blowing a dubious penalty and the game ending on something like this. This had a lot more tension, passion and drama. I thought it was cool to watch and it was nice to see something a little bit different and have a different way of ending the game. Let's face it how often are we going to see a draw after 100 minutes? Not often. But we have to have some sort of way of splitting things up. I think this is as good as any idea.

I have absolutely no problem with shootouts.

If anything, make it better by doing drop goal shootouts! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ May 5 2009, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have absolutely no problem with shootouts.

If anything, make it better by doing drop goal shootouts! :lol:[/b]
I was surprised no one attempted a drop, as I know a lot of players who are better at that than place kicking...maybe that's all crappy american ruggers, though...haha.
All I'm saying is if Matt Dunning can do it . . .
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAvMKkC1kjA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAvMKkC1kjA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts