• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carling gives up on Cipriani

We've got more young guys where he came from. Alex Goode has been doing very well for England Saxons and then theres Shane Geraghty and even Stephen Myler.

Come 2015 England will have three or four fly halves coming in their prime jostling for position.

I think Cipriaini should go to Melbourne. Enjoy his rugby, get out of the media spotlight he's in with Kelly Brook, and have a bit of freedom. He will then either realise how much he wants to play for England and put in the necessary hard work, or simply stay put and potentially light up the super 14...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (www.rugbyperformance.co.uk @ Feb 18 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Cipriaini should go to Melbourne. Enjoy his rugby, get out of the media spotlight he's in with Kelly Brook, and have a bit of freedom. He will then either realise how much he wants to play for England and put in the necessary hard work, or simply stay put and potentially light up the super 14...[/b]

Or descend into Union obscurity and suddenly pop up for the Rabbitohs in a few seasons time

No reason (he said tongue in cheek) that Rory Clegg, Tom Homer or Alex Goode won't step up by then.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 19 2010, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bloody hell, so Alex Goode could be fly half by RWC 2019?![/b]
I'm going to nail my colours to the George Ford mast. He'll be 26 or 27 by then.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 25 2010, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is this all paper-talk or is there truth in it???

Like I think it is strange that like of Andy Goode and Charlie Hodgson are being picked in the pecking order ahead of Cipriani.
Like I know his attitude towards England may be poor but Johnson is inviting these antics in some ways too but cheering against your own country is a no-no. Those antics loose you the respect of team-mates in national set-up.

Cipriani acts like a footballer alot of the time (in the press alot, not just tabloids, but like the other week when he was basically slagging off Johnson. Often seen out on the town, got a celebrity girlfriend etc.), and Johnson doesn't seem to like this (neither did Ashton, when he suspended him from England duty for going to a nightclub the day before a game)
So it could be down to that

An interesting article from The Daily Mail:

Danny Cipriani's fall-out with the England management team that has led to his transfer to Australia can now be revealed.

Two years after an outstanding full Test debut at Twickenham which saw the Wasps tyro lead Ireland a merry dance after being promoted in place of Jonny Wilkinson, Sportsmail has learned that Cipriani, 22, indulged in petulant antics while with the Saxons in Italy earlier this month.

His behaviour prompted outrage among fellow players and fury from the coaches of the national A team.

Sportsmail has been told that Cipriani:

• IGNORED instructions in training
  • WALKED OFF after being reprimanded
  • MOCKED manager Martin Johnson while watching England play Wales on TV
  • OPENLY supported Wales rather than England
It explains why Cipriani, the most exciting attacking option available to Johnson, is an outcast from the national team and why England's response has been cool over his move to join the new Melbourne Rebels franchise.

However, the fly-half-cum-full-back has spoken of a deep sense of frustration and depression over his treatment by Johnson and his coaches, saying: 'I would like to have been treated with a little more sympathy by people in the game.'

But it has emerged that in training before the match against the Azzurri's second string, Saxons head coach Stuart Lancaster ordered his players to go through drop-goal drills at the end of the session. Cipriani ignored the instructions.

First, he prepared for a drop goal, but instead punted the ball high to the corner and one of his unsuspecting team-mates spilled it. The players re-set themselves and this time Cipriani opted to run and pass, again leading to a fumble. Finally, with Lancaster reiterating that he wanted drop goals, his celebrity stand-off sent through a low kick instead.

At this stage, Lancaster called the team into a huddle where he implored them to be more precise and clinical, but Cipriani said they had done enough and started to walk off.

The coach is reported to have exploded in rage.

And when the Saxons squad in Italy watched England's RBS Six Nations opener against Wales at Twickenham 19 days ago, Cipriani is alleged to have openly supported the Welsh as they mounted a second-half comeback and celebrated with gusto when Adam Jones scored a try for the visitors.

A source has also indicated that the player delivered a series of barbed comments whenever cameras panned on to Johnson in the stand. He is known to believe that the England manager has unfairly overlooked him, saying in a weekend interview: 'I would like to have spoken to Martin a lot more.'

Other players in the travelling party were taken aback by Cipriani's conduct. He had not long returned from an uncle's funeral in Trinidad and by that stage he had resolved to join the Rebels, so it was perhaps — metaphorically speaking — a two-fingered salute to the regime he felt had failed him.

His representatives will doubtless portray both episodes as harmless high jinks, but that is not how they were interpreted by those present.

Furthermore, it is important to set the incidents in the context of long-standing concerns about his attitude.

One source who is aware of what went on in Italy wearily remarked: 'It is not the first time.'

Rewind a year or so and there were rumours that Cipriani was involved in a bust-up with one of the management at a training camp in Portugal. Sportsmail understands that he had a serious verbal exchange with Johnson after rejecting orders to take part in a 'bleep test' — used to assess and improve fitness.

There have been problems at club level too.

This is a player who came through the Wasps academy and emerged as a sensational home-grown talent, but one with baggage.

He enraged team-mate and World Cup-winner Josh Lewsey to such an extent that the former England back knocked him out with a punch in training. He is also thought to have ruffled more feathers by refusing to tackle during a reserve game for the club.

In the past fortnight, former England captain Will Carling revealed that he had decided not to manage Cipriani after concluding that he was not as hell-bent on reclaiming his Test place as he should be.

'I do not believe Danny's focus is on playing for England,' he said.

His sentiments echo those of the national management.

Those who hold the keys to his Test future hope he improves as a player and matures as a man during his two-year stint Down Under.

Cipriani was unavailable for comment last night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunio...nd-outcast.html

Who knows if it's all true, but if even slightly so then it shows a real attitude problem with Cipriani. If that's the case then who can blame MJ for not picking him for England. Cipriani might well be a very talented player when it suits him, but if he's not going to be part of the team and show the same commitment as everyone else then he only has himself to blame.

If true, it reinforces somewhat what Will Carling was saying about him being a petulant brat.

If being decked by Josh Lewsey doesn't sort your training ethos out, somethings wrong with you...

He's always been known as arrogant beyond belief. I remember watching him play for Whitgift in the Daily Mail Cup against my school, and watching him play for Rosslyn Park, and even then he tried to do everything himself - as if the game was there so spectators could see just how amazing Danny Cipriani was.

Cipriani's problem is that he knows how talented he is, and has known this and been told it for years. What he hasn't realised is that he is not the finished article. This is where coaches come in. He also doesn't seem to realise that wherever you are in life, you can't go through it ******* people off because barriers will start to spring up in front of you.

It may take him going to Australia and ******* off everyone down there to realise that it is him, and not others, that are the problem. Otherwise his career is going to be wasted.

If he tries anything like this down south, i hope someone puts him on his arse. He obviously needs some sense knocked into him, if he goes down there and plays well/does his own thing, it'll just swell his ego more.
I think he'll get shown up down there though. Wonder who else they'll sign for FH/who he'll be scrapping with for the 10 shirt

You hypocrites! Isn't this what most England supporters do on this forum? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Sportsmail has been told that Cipriani:

• MOCKED manager Martin Johnson while watching England play Wales on TV
  • OPENLY supported Wales rather than England
[/b]

Latest posts