• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup 20/21 - Quarter Finals

I thought beforehand Exeter were overrated as a threat to us...and then the first 8 minutes happened. Big performance from way too many guys to mention. Really hope people from the other provinces wake up to what Kelleher and Conan offer.

Can see why Jones doesn't pick Sam Simmonds.
Well they were reigning champions and playing at home so I wouldn't say they were 'overrated'. I think most English fans would have predicted a Leinster win though.

Re. The bolded, I'm a fan of Sam Simmonds, but a lot of the hype comes from scoring a lot of tries (mostly from mauls) and the odd highlight reel break/try. On a day like today, he could have pressed his case further by showing he could compete with Leinster at the breakdown. He didn't have a bad game, but he really didn't impose himself in any way and was anonymous in a lot of the coal face work that was needed.

It's interesting that Simmons was as has been said kind of average where as Billy V was Mom on most occasions that Sarries were really up against tough opposition, maybe EJ really does know best.

It's interesting that Simmons was as has been said kind of average where as Billy V was Mom on most occasions that Sarries were really up against tough opposition, maybe EJ really does know best.
Yeah, Billy wrecked us in the 2019 final iirc (haven't seen any footage of that game since it happened for obvious reasons).

Think Simmons is a quality player but he has his weaknesses, can understand why Eddie doesn't want him and he shouldn't be going to SA this summer, leaving aside the club international gap he's not what you need against them.

Yep. If the Lions were up against the Aussies or Kiwis, I would definitely be taking Simmonds. Against the Boks ... no.

Well they were reigning champions and playing at home so I wouldn't say they were 'overrated'. I think most English fans would have predicted a Leinster win though.

Re. The bolded, I'm a fan of Sam Simmonds, but a lot of the hype comes from scoring a lot of tries (mostly from mauls) and the odd highlight reel break/try. On a day like today, he could have pressed his case further by showing he could compete with Leinster at the breakdown. He didn't have a bad game, but he really didn't impose himself in any way and was anonymous in a lot of the coal face work that was needed.

Overrated as a threat to Leinster, not overrated as a whole. In fairness that sentiment is influence by another forum where a lot of Leinster fans seemed to be ******** themselves. Leinster match up very well against Exeter's strengths as demonstrated by the defensive stand near the end.

Simmonds is a good player but as you say the hype for him is a bit much, especially from some quarters. I don't think eight is a position that relies as much on the performance of those around you to shine. I didn't really notice him today apart from getting smashed by Henshaw and getting stood up near the line despite a good run up. In fairness maybe it will turn out he made a load of tackles but the calls for Lions etc kind of read like John Cooney fans on steroids.

Yeah, Billy wrecked us in the 2019 final iirc (haven't seen any footage of that game since it happened for obvious reasons).

Think Simmons is a quality player but he has his weaknesses, can understand why Eddie doesn't want him and he shouldn't be going to SA this summer, leaving aside the club international gap he's not what you need against them.
Simmonds should do what Batia had done with La Rochelle and moved to centre, his pace, power and handling might work there.

Wouldn't want to be tackling Marty Moore there, he has no legs to chop.

I like Simmonds but don't see him as anything more than bench internationally. But yesterday he was paired with 2 monster sized flankers so as the quickest / smallest of the 3 by some distance it was probably inevitable that he was going to spend more of the game getting down and dirty flanker style than very visible carrying. Nice break off the scrum for the first try though.

Rodd will have learnt far more in a couple of scrums yesterday than in months of Eng training squads or caps against 2nd tier nations.

556s1r.jpg

This Racing team is already depleted, but losing Chat would be tough...

Latest posts