• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Championship 2014/15

I am an emotional wreck what a game, still all to play for however.

You aint the only one. Crikey.

That whole "inside blitz leaving hectares of width out wide" system needs incinerating. We defended better in the second half. I thought we got better once Ryan Jones went off and Marco Mama came on, offered a bit more dynamism. We keep that discipline and that second half defensive game plan and if Lamb can leave his boots at home again then it could go well

Bug**r am in Guernica and missed it! When is second leg?

I Hate the playoff system and will continue to do so no matter what the outcome from the second leg. My thoughts are simple. If you win any league that should be it that team should be crowned as champions and be promoted into the next tier.

Nice to see you guys from SKY, ITV, BBC deciding to put in an appearance! But on behalf of all championship clubs "Where the hell have you been all season???"
Last night was a great advert for Championship Rugby, A full house and two great teams Going head to head I expect many rugby fans would've enjoyed that one as we all did even though Bristol lost by what if I'm honest should've been a much wider margin
(Had the Worc kicks gone over), but it's only half time so we will have another go next week I'm looking for a big improvement at Sixways guys.
Looks as though the playoff jinx has hit again! As last year
It's the first leg and Gavin has broken a Shin. Wish you a Speedy recovery mate. Hope nobody does the same in the second leg excuse the pun lol
To all those Worcester fans that made the effort to come down to Ashton gate and create that great atmosphere and there were plenty of you, you were a credit as ever.
So now for the second leg Will my nerves stand it?

I Hate the playoff system and will continue to do so no matter what the outcome from the second leg. My thoughts are simple. If you win any league that should be it that team should be crowned as champions and be promoted into the next tier.

Nice to see you guys from SKY, ITV, BBC deciding to put in an appearance! But on behalf of all championship clubs "Where the hell have you been all season???"
Last night was a great advert for Championship Rugby, A full house and two great teams Going head to head I expect many rugby fans would've enjoyed that one as we all did even though Bristol lost by what if I'm honest should've been a much wider margin
(Had the Worc kicks gone over), but it's only half time so we will have another go next week I'm looking for a big improvement at Sixways guys.
Looks as though the playoff jinx has hit again! As last year
It's the first leg and Gavin has broken a Shin. Wish you a Speedy recovery mate. Hope nobody does the same in the second leg excuse the pun lol
To all those Worcester fans that made the effort to come down to Ashton gate and create that great atmosphere and there were plenty of you, you were a credit as ever.
So now for the second leg Will my nerves stand it?

I would say the answer to the inferred question of why not just promote the league winners? Is actually in your own post:

"Last night was a great advert for Championship Rugby, A full house and two great teams Going head to head I expect many rugby fans would've enjoyed that one as we all did"

Even though I am a Worcester fan I do have to agree that promotion should go to the team that wins the league its the only fair way to guarantee that the best team in the season goes up. All though on the other hand this years championship does have in my opinion two sides, who are similar quality and I don't think either side would embarrass themselves in the prem, so having a play-off system between the two sides does not seem too daft. Bristol did win the league fair and square but worcester I do believe scored more points then any other team and conceded less as well, both teams now face injury blows for the final half but im going to have to be honest i have no idea what the result could be. I could be silly in thinking this but i reckon it wouldnt be a silly idea to start nicky robinson for bristol as he can kick fairly well and he controls the game very nicely and then if bristol are 10 or so points behind in the second half you can bring morgan on as an impact sub and try and find gaps in a tired worcester defence. I think for worcester we are going to have to hope lamb can get his kicks, ive never seen him kick so bad all season, although he still had a good game in my opinion and also just hope that we have the fitness to finish off the job as we do not have the subs that bristol have to make an impact due to some injuries to key players such as symons and mulchrone or max stelling.

I would say the answer to the inferred question of why not just promote the league winners? Is actually in your own post:

"Last night was a great advert for Championship Rugby, A full house and two great teams Going head to head I expect many rugby fans would've enjoyed that one as we all did"

Good point Mumbles.

Has the development work temporarily reduced the capacity at Ashton Gate Alias? The BBC reported an attendance of 12,010, I've seen various capacities listed for the ground, but none under 13k. It was a bit weird to be able to hear the crowd, but rarely able to see them. Not sure if this is a function of where the cameras were, or the expansion.

Alias and 04perryo, are you against play offs per se or just play offs in the Championship? I'm not a big fan myself, but every high profile league in the game uses them, so why not The Championship?

Obviously the winner over two legs will strengthen in preparation for the AP, but what is the feeling as to how either of the teams we saw on Wednesday would get on against AP opposition? I'm not sure I could see either troubling anyone other than London Welsh I'm afraid.

Good point Mumbles.

Has the development work temporarily reduced the capacity at Ashton Gate Alias? The BBC reported an attendance of 12,010, I've seen various capacities listed for the ground, but none under 13k. It was a bit weird to be able to hear the crowd, but rarely able to see them. Not sure if this is a function of where the cameras were, or the expansion.

Alias and 04perryo, are you against play offs per se or just play offs in the Championship? I'm not a big fan myself, but every high profile league in the game uses them, so why not The Championship?

Obviously the winner over two legs will strengthen in preparation for the AP, but what is the feeling as to how either of the teams we saw on Wednesday would get on against AP opposition? I'm not sure I could see either troubling anyone other than London Welsh I'm afraid.

Yes it has. For those familar the old Wedlock Stand/East End (the stand at the right hand end as cameras look) was knocked down last summer and rebuilt for the developent. That will be ready for next season. This week work began to demolish the old Williams Stand (the one where the camera was housed). Also at the moment there's been small work at the front of the Dolman Stand which used to have seats in the lower block, they've now been removed. By the end we'll have a 27000 seater stadium and be the most up to date ground in the South West. Hopefully getting Premiership Rugby and Football as well as other events.

To be clear I've never been in favour of playoffs in rugby or football. I've always been a believer in the old system, that being any team finishing the entire season on top should be crowned champions and go up.
What's the point of slugging it out all season if you only have to finish fourth?? It just makes the league system a non-event.
Last year we lost a key player to injury in the first leg this season we have lost two!! To me serious injuries sustained in games that should never have been played.
That said having been at Ashton gate on Wednesday and watching a great game of rugby between two good sides and two fantastic sets of supporters who would put many a premier league team to shame that opinion is a little harder to defend.
Ref the Ashton gate rebuild here's a couple of links you may or maybe not be interested in.

[video]https://youtu.be/TejM8nQTPh4[/video]

http://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/stadium/the-plan/

one of the reason i want bris up is because I want Leicester to try for Pennell. If Tait doesn't come back.

- - - Updated - - -

oh lord Lamb kicking!!!!

I think Bristol threw the kitchen sink a bit too early in that first 15 minutes. In saying that, I thought Worcester were lucky not to get a yellow as they must have given away 6 or 7 penalties during that period.

Great finish and now the pressure really is on Bristol. Open game so far!

Latest posts