Christchurch may not host any RWC matches

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
It is looking increasingly likely that Christchurch will not be able to host any RWC matches. Not only has the infrastructure suffered severe damaged, there has been a loss of up to 70% of the beds in hotel, motel and backpacker accommodation. Now to cap it off, it looks like the damage to AMI stadium is a lot worse than originally thought. A friend in Canterbury rugby tells me that the engineering inspection team have found what appears to be structural damage to the Paul Kelly (west) stand, and the Hadlee (south) stand, which will not be able to be repaired in time for the RWC.

This also means that the Crusaders will have to play all their "home" games away from Christchurch. They have already played the Waratahs at Trafalgar Park in Nelson, and are there again on Friday night against the Brumbies. Their next home game (March 25) v the Sharks is likely to be played at Twickenham and then April 9 v the Bulls at Eden Park.

ami-300x199.jpg

This is outside the North Stand and the Corporate
Boxes (top left in next photo)

ami2-300x195.jpg

Aerial view showing all the liquefaction. The Paul Kelly
stand is on the left, the new Deans Stand is on the
right, and the Hadlee Stand is at the bottom. The
surface is a lot more bumpy than it appears.

That's sad news, was really hoping to see some games in Chc

If that's the case, it'd be so demoralizing for them as a city. But heck, if I was an international team coming for the World Cup for my one shot (every 4 years), I would expect the best facilities to help prepare. And Chch won't be able to provide that unfortunately. The constant after-shocks which don't seem to be letting up also wouldn't be acceptable. It sucks but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Playing a home game in Twickenham! That'd be dope.

just been confirmed, no games in Chch.

the quarters have been moved to Auckland and depending on the expected crowds to each game they will be moved to other cities so that all those who had a ticket beforehand will be able to claim one for the new venue.

im gutted, was lucky enough to get tickets and now cant got :( cant go to all of the anyway, will have to see if we can keep the quarter final tickets but get a refund on the pool ones as wont be able to get to all. also means a flight to auckland IF we can get tickets!

The right decision was made. It was a tough one an d is another kick in the guts for Christchurch. The quarters had to go to Auckland as if they went to anywhere else people who had tickets to the original quarter final would miss out on the next one. I think one thing that should be done would be to swap the quarter finals around so that Wellington would be assured of getting the All Blacks quarter final.

I think one thing that should be done would be to swap the quarter finals around so that Wellington would be assured of getting the All Blacks quarter final.
why's that?

my only concern is that alot of those cantabs who got tickets to quarters wont be able to afford to travel to the games and so will have to go for a refund. this will mean there will be loads of spare tickets to be re sold. Seeing at Dunedin is less than 8000 less than chch it might have been able to be played there and at least had it in the south island. cheapest flight to auckland for that weekend (just looked) is $700 return.....

why's that?

my only concern is that alot of those cantabs who got tickets to quarters wont be able to afford to travel to the games and so will have to go for a refund. this will mean there will be loads of spare tickets to be re sold. Seeing at Dunedin is less than 8000 less than chch it might have been able to be played there and at least had it in the south island. cheapest flight to auckland for that weekend (just looked) is $700 return.....

I just thought as Auckland is already getting most of the important games in the world cup it might be nice to give some to Wellington but then again I do live here.

Apparently the pool games will be kept in the South Island for the people living in Christchurch. I wonder if Carisbrook would get one final game?

why's that?

That isn't quite right Jabby. AMI Stadium's RWC capacity was to be about 45,000 (38,000 + 7000 temporary seating. Dunedin stadium is only 30,000. That is a 33% reduction in capacity.

However, I do see your point.

I'm picking the following

England v Argentina to Dundein
Italy v Australia moves to Nelson
England v Georgia to Wellington
Argentina v Scotland to Invercargill
Australia v Russia to Dunedin

Last edited:
cheapest flight to auckland for that weekend (just looked) is $700 return.....

daayuummm!!! $700!!! That's steep. I wonder if any of the games are brought to Wellington, will I need to pay more for my venue pack?

That isn't quite right Jabby. AMI Stadium's RWC capacity was to be about 45,000 (38,000 + 7000 temporary seating. Dunedin stadium is only 30,000. That is a 33% reduction in capacity.

Really? Didn't know they were planning on bumping up Lancaster Park even further, the stats i saw said it was 36000 fixed and two and a bit temp but yeah, if they were putting another 7000 on top of the temp seats then it is much bigger....there goes that idea!

daayuummm!!! $700!!! That's steep. I wonder if any of the games are brought to Wellington, will I need to pay more for my venue pack?

I'm hoping Air NZ will come to the party and put on a jumbo from Chch to Auck as they did after the earthquake. Doesn't need to be the super cheap $50 tickets they did then but normal $90 - $140 each way would be great

I was hoping the Aussie v Scotland would go to dunners, then the scots would have two games in dunners, make the Edinburgh of the south a real home ground for them.

Last edited:
Gutted

I have a campervan booked, and can therfore travel pretty much where I want, so personally will have little trouble (I hope) getting to the rearranged England games that I have tickets for wherever they now take place. I am dissapointed though, not for me, rearranging my sightseeing and activities itinerary is a minor inconvienience, but for the people of Christchurch. On top of what they have already been through this must come as yet another blow.

However, I do see your point.

I'm picking the following

Apparently, two games will go to North Harbour, 1 to Dunedin, 1 to Invercargill and 1 to Nelson. That was according to Tony Veitch and he would have a pretty good idea.

Here is a little preview of Dunedin's Forsyth-Barr Stadium

The "synthetic spikes" (root anchors) that Wayne Smith talks about are vital to preventing what happens at Millennium Stadium where the grass rips out under the stress of scrummaging. What he didn't say is that these root anchors are spaced every 20mm all over the ground... there are about 25 million of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
The rescheduled Christchurch games have been announced in the NZ Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10715966

World Cup venue shifts announced
BREAKING3:05 PM Wednesday Mar 30, 2011

Rugby World Cup matches originally scheduled for Christchurch have been allocated to another three South Island cities in the wake of last month's devastating earthquake.

Nelson, Dunedin and Invercargill will host pool games set down for Christchurch while two other matches have been reallocated to Wellington and Albany.

Organisers confirmed a fortnight ago that two quarterfinals earmarked for Christchurch will instead be played in Auckland on October 8 and 9.

Rugby New Zealand 2011 (RNZ 2011) today announced a raft of changes to the original tournament schedule forced upon it by major infrastructural damage inflicted on Christchurch by the February 22 earthquake which killed an estimated 182 people.

Rugby World Cup Ltd chairman Bernard Lapasset said that all tournament stakeholders had been supportive throughout the rescheduling process.

"Following the difficult decision to transfer the Christchurch matches all involved have worked hard to confirm the new venues as quickly as possible. We are pleased that three of the five matches will remain in the South Island."

RNZ 2011 chief executive Martin Snedden said today's decisions provided certainty for the affected seven teams.

RNZ 2011 also announced that the new fully enclosed Otago Stadium in Dunedin, which is nearing completion, has met the criteria to be confirmed as a World Cup match venue.

"The Otago Stadium operators have provided us with the assurances we need for us to now be confident that the new venue will be ready to deliver on its tournament obligations," Snedden said.

The rescheduled matches will see Argentina play England in Dunedin on September 10, Australia play Italy at Albany on September 11, England play Georgia in Dunedin on September 18, Argentina play Scotland in Wellington on September 25 and Australia play Russia at Nelson on October 1.

Also, as part of the rescheduling, operational reasons have necessitated the transfer of one non-Christchurch match, Scotland against Georgia, from Dunedin to Invercargill on September 14.

"Our desire was always to transfer as many of the Christchurch pool matches as was reasonably possible to other existing South Island venues," Snedden said.

Organisers also said that ticket purchasers for all Christchurch matches and Scotland's game against Georgia match will receive a refund and the opportunity to secure replacement tickets to the rescheduled matches during a priority purchase period.

As well, the rescheduling decisions have also meant a number of changes to team bases.

Queenstown will now host Georgia as well as Ireland, Romania and England while Hanmer Springs in north Canterbury becomes a new team base and will host Australia over four nights.

Rescheduled pool matches:

* Sept 10 Pool B 20.30 Argentina v England - Otago Stadium, Dunedin

* Sept 11 Pool C 15.30 Australia v Italy - North Harbour Stadium, Auckland

* Sept 18 Pool B 18.00 England v Georgia - Otago Stadium, Dunedin

* Sept 25 Pool B 20.30 Argentina v Scotland - Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington

* Oct 1 Pool C 15.30 Australia v Russia - Trafalgar Park, Nelson

Latest posts