• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Christmas 2009

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LydiatesGirl @ Dec 19 2009, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 18 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Christmas has broken up for us this year - four babies expected over the next ten days (including one set of twins), so everybody's staying at their own places and talking about breast pumps. Damn you, St Patrick!

Oh, one's already been delivered - 6lb 9oz. I don't know what it is yet.[/b]

aww congratulations to you all :)
[/b][/quote]
Thanks, Lydi. Should all be over by New Years, so I don't think Christmas itself will be a blow out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Dec 17 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
. I'm sure we'll do the annual thing that all Americans now do and see a movie the night of christmas...it's when all the blockbusters come out here.[/b]

Yeah, i watched trailers for Sherlock Holmes all summer saying 'December 25th!' and i was saying, 'Who the hell is gonna work on Christmas day...and who the hell is gonna go to the cinema on Christmas day in this country?!'
Evidently a lot of you do from what my friends tell me. Lol.
Our big day for film releases is boxing day...not that i've ever been on that day.

My Christmas will be spent with my family. May be getting a few books for Christmas.
It's all good in the hood.

Just got back home for the holidays, making full use of a fridge full of food :D
My girlfriends birthday is the 23rd, so we're doing something for that, then christmas my brother and his girlfriend are coming over (his girlfriend is called Lucy, as is mine, so i'm sure that'll cause much confusion =/), then they're leaving on christmas morning, then i'm having my grandparents/great aunt/uncle round for dinner

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 18 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Dec 17 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. I'm sure we'll do the annual thing that all Americans now do and see a movie the night of christmas...it's when all the blockbusters come out here.[/b]

Yeah, i watched trailers for Sherlock Holmes all summer saying 'December 25th!' and i was saying, 'Who the hell is gonna work on Christmas day...and who the hell is gonna go to the cinema on Christmas day in this country?!'
Evidently a lot of you do from what my friends tell me. Lol.
Our big day for film releases is boxing day...not that i've ever been on that day.

My Christmas will be spent with my family. May be getting a few books for Christmas.
It's all good in the hood.
[/b][/quote]
America is all about making money. Theaters are open all day, McDonalds is open till 3pm, Walmart is open, gas stations are open, some starbucks are open, etc, etc, etc. Don't move here, it's capitolism gone mad. My wife has now spent a little over 10 years in the USA and she's sworn it off. She says she's only giving it another year, and that's only to save up money. I think to save what we need it might take a wee bit over a year, but I'm telling you, you lot do the holidays better than us. You know how to enjoy it. Most people here get one day off, then back to the grind. My gym, for example is only closed for less than 12 hours on Christmas.

And to answer your question, yeah, the theaters are packed on christmas evening/afternoon. Each of the 3 lord of the ring films were released here on Christmas day, and we saw them all in overpacked theaters that day.

I might neg the smartarses who pointed out that I said Christmas 2010 when I clearly meant Christmas 2009. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Dec 18 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Dec 17 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fun Fact: Benjamin Franklin (American Forefather and part of the Enlightement era Philosophes) wanted the National Animal of America to be the noble Turkey. So, enjoy your All-American[/b]

Where do you think Turkeys originate? (clue is in the name)
[/b][/quote]

I'm guessing central Asia...maybe Turkistan?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 20 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I might neg the smartarses who pointed out that I said Christmas 2010 when I clearly meant Christmas 2009. ;)[/b]
Negs and pluses don't really work since the site change. Any way to fix that?

p.s. turkeys

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Dec 18 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fun Fact: Benjamin Franklin (American Forefather and part of the Enlightement era Philosophes) wanted the National Animal of America to be the noble Turkey. So, enjoy your All-American[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Turkeys are native to the Americas. They formed a part of the American Thanksgiving meal (which is bigger than their Christmas).

During WW2, there was a shortage of Goose (what British people tradtionally ate at Christmas). Some clever dick across the pond told us about Thanksgiving, so we imported lots of turkey from the USA and started to eat it at Christmas.

Now, everyone thinks eating turkey at Christmas is traditional. It isn't. Goose is a nicer tasting, more traditional bird that provides AWESOME crackling.

However, I'm happy eating a turkey all the same...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 19 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now, everyone thinks eating turkey at Christmas is traditional. It isn't.[/b]

If it's been going on since the war I think that dignifies it as a tradition to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 19 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Dec 18 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Turkeys are native to the Americas. They formed a part of the American Thanksgiving meal (which is bigger than their Christmas).

During WW2, there was a shortage of Goose (what British people tradtionally ate at Christmas). Some clever dick across the pond told us about Thanksgiving, so we imported lots of turkey from the USA and started to eat it at Christmas.

Now, everyone thinks eating turkey at Christmas is traditional. It isn't. Goose is a nicer tasting, more traditional bird that provides AWESOME crackling.

[/b][/quote]
Goose has always been a bit too fatty for my liking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 19 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Dec 18 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Sir, I would kindly like to point out to you that I've already informed this crowd of this information on a previous page, and I disaprove of you coming in a page later trying to act as if you are as informed as I. I made it a f'n Fun Fact, for pete's sake! Is nothing sacred to you!?!?! A FUN FACT!

:D

What's happened to the world when people turn a blind eye to fun facts?
I lose faith in humankind sometimes...

In fairness, Turkey meat is bland and dry, only any good for playing cricket in Norwich warehouses.

Is it possible to make Turkey moist and tender like a good chicken can be?
Or does it always have to be dry?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 19 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I might neg the smartarses who pointed out that I said Christmas 2010 when I clearly meant Christmas 2009. ;)[/b]

I didn't do nothing :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 21 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Or does it always have to be dry?[/b]

Last resort: serve up with sauce/gravy/... something? Hope the difference isn't too big though, if anyone starts nagging at dinner they're not getting dessert!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 21 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Or does it always have to be dry?[/b]
Yes, it requires heart stopping amounts of butter and either vegitable or chicken broth.
Here in the US they sell these bags for cooking it that keep it sealed and locks in all the moisture. I've personally only used foil, but my mom only will cook the Turkey with the bag. As we've noted, we do the big bird twice a year here in the colonies.
I've never had goose...very curious...VERY CURIOUS.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Dec 21 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've never had goose...very curious...VERY CURIOUS.[/b]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoqDYcCDOTg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoqDYcCDOTg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts