• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Christmas 2009

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 21 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is it possible to make Turkey moist and tender like a good chicken can be?
Or does it always have to be dry?[/b]

Tin foil tent over top of it, put butter under the skin of the breasts and don't stuff it and it will turn out delicious and moist. I've taken over turkey cooking duties at my house because my mum sucks at it, just don't tell her i said that :lol: However, my biggest challenge yet is coming this Christmas, a 32lbs bird sitting in the fridge defrosting!

I don't have any stuffing recipes that don't specifically say 'stuff bird', not sure I have time to find any (if anyone knows a good one, it's always appreciated :p) since I'm also supposed to be studying :p

I heard about using tin foil (except for the last half hour or so?) but making a tent out of the stuff?

Also, if things don't change, we'll be snowed in for Christmas XD Nott he 'you-can't-leave-the-house' sort of snowed in, more like the 'driving-has-become-impossible!'

On the bright side, my efforts on our first day of snow (Thursday):

sneeuwpop17122009.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laetca @ Dec 21 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't have any stuffing recipes that don't specifically say 'stuff bird', not sure I have time to find any (if anyone knows a good one, it's always appreciated :p ) since I'm also supposed to be studying :p

I heard about using tin foil (except for the last half hour or so?) but making a tent out of the stuff?

Also, if things don't change, we'll be snowed in for Christmas XD Nott he 'you-can't-leave-the-house' sort of snowed in, more like the 'driving-has-become-impossible!'

On the bright side, my efforts on our first day of snow (Thursday):[/b]

Well what you would be looking for would be recipes for "dressing" ie it's stuffing that is cooked not in the bird. My mum usually makes her grandmas recipe. It's good but it's not great, I'm trying to find a new one but suggesting a change in my family would cause quite the stir. I could get it off my mum if you're interested? For the last week I've been coming up with new vegetable dishes that I could go with dinner. I'm definitely doing two different brussel sprout dishes I came up with that are very delicious.

Basically what i mean by tenting is this:
Tent_Turkey-rd.jpg

Also important to turkey cooking is putting onions and a whole garlic cut in half width wise in the bottom of the pan, it adds so much extra flavour to the gravy. And if you don't have a metal wrack to keep the turkey off the pan just use whole carrots instead, again that helps to make the gravy absolutely delicious.

We're having Pork this year, we normally have both Turkey and Pork but this year mum has decided to just do pork as people always pick the pork over the Turkey anyway.

Mum and Dad have gone for:

Pork and Turkey for us
Beef and crackling for the dogs.

I am intrigued by goose, but then I walk past a farm or whatever, and you see these magnificent huge birds there and I just feel ever so guilty.

Goose is very nice, a nice blend between turkey and duck. I'd much prefer a goose for Christmas, but we always have Turkey. Wouldn't mind partridge either, mmmmm. I find Turkey very dry, so I only eat the redder meat from the legs. Mum always makes some homemade sausage meat stuffing that's sooo nice, especially stuffed in the Turkey to cook, it really does make the Christmas dinner for me.

Christmas dinner is the reason I've stopped going out on Christmas eve. Couldn't enjoy it hung over, wasn't worth it!

Isn't this Christmas 2009? Christmas 2010 would be next year, wouldn't it?

I'm back from Aberdeen, missed the worst of the snow. Many of my mates that are from abroad are stranded in the airport, unlucky ********! Just enjoying being home for a couplew weeks really, before working for the january exams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fcukernaut @ Dec 21 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well what you would be looking for would be recipes for "dressing" ie it's stuffing that is cooked not in the bird. My mum usually makes her grandmas recipe. It's good but it's not great, I'm trying to find a new one but suggesting a change in my family would cause quite the stir. I could get it off my mum if you're interested? For the last week I've been coming up with new vegetable dishes that I could go with dinner. I'm definitely doing two different brussel sprout dishes I came up with that are very delicious.

Also important to turkey cooking is putting onions and a whole garlic cut in half width wise in the bottom of the pan, it adds so much extra flavour to the gravy. And if you don't have a metal wrack to keep the turkey off the pan just use whole carrots instead, again that helps to make the gravy absolutely delicious.[/b]

Tried searching for dressing recipes, found one I want to try out, I'll let you know if it's any good. The great thing about looking for recipes on the worldwideweb, it doesn't say how many people it serves, and I'll have to fumble around with a few of the ingredients and some of the measurements and temperatures. Thankfully cooking isn't an exact science, except when it comes to baking pastry and such :p I need the recipe for Thursday (I'm cooking on Christmas Eve, we traditionally celebrate that more than Christmas itself, which is convenient since we can go to my boyfriend's parents for Christmas) which means I'm going ingredient shopping tomorrow, considering the difference in timezones it would be impossible to get the recipe on time :p

Great tips about gravy, and especially about the carrots since I don't have a wire rack, was thinking of buying a pan especially for this, but I don't know if it would be used very often after that, would seem like a waste. Then again, I might have been able to use it for Roastbeef on the 31st.

I know what you mean about change, things that are unknown are unloved, it's a miracle I get to prepare a dish they never had before this year. My next attempt at something new will be to get fruit in a hearty dish.

The notion of goose is utterly unknown here, it's either Turkey, or game (I think that's the word? Meat that still has the pellets from being shot in it?), though lobster is also gaining ground. The sale of funcooking-appliances which make you do everything yourself (fondue, gourmet, raclette, ...) also peaks around this time of year. I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting around a tiny kettle waiting for my bit of meat to cook this Christmas too.

I've had turkey that's not dry, but not often - it's the exception. And the taste is ... pffff ... chicken much better.

Goose is gamey - rich, with a fairly strong taste. Eat it with Brussel sprouts, add a few beers, a few glasses of wine ... the gas blows the roof off the house. Not everyone likes it, so we mix it up with turkey and ham.

Screw it. I will eat anything and finish what's left over.

Good tip for roast potatoes: Peel them and boil for 10 minutes. Drain, then shake them in a dry pot with pepper & salt & semolina so they get rough around the edges. Then roll them in some warm goose/duck fat. Place them on a rack in the oven ABOVE your main roast dish - cook for 45 mins, turning once. They get roasted in the air, instead of in the grease. Crisp on the outside, creamy inside.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laetca @ Dec 22 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fcukernaut @ Dec 21 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also important to turkey cooking is putting onions and a whole garlic cut in half width wise in the bottom of the pan, it adds so much extra flavour to the gravy. And if you don't have a metal wrack to keep the turkey off the pan just use whole carrots instead, again that helps to make the gravy absolutely delicious.[/b]

Tried searching for dressing recipes, found one I want to try out, I'll let you know if it's any good. The great thing about looking for recipes on the worldwideweb, it doesn't say how many people it serves, and I'll have to fumble around with a few of the ingredients and some of the measurements and temperatures. Thankfully cooking isn't an exact science, except when it comes to baking pastry and such :p I need the recipe for Thursday (I'm cooking on Christmas Eve, we traditionally celebrate that more than Christmas itself, which is convenient since we can go to my boyfriend's parents for Christmas) which means I'm going ingredient shopping tomorrow, considering the difference in timezones it would be impossible to get the recipe on time :p

Great tips about gravy, and especially about the carrots since I don't have a wire rack, was thinking of buying a pan especially for this, but I don't know if it would be used very often after that, would seem like a waste. Then again, I might have been able to use it for Roastbeef on the 31st.

I know what you mean about change, things that are unknown are unloved, it's a miracle I get to prepare a dish they never had before this year. My next attempt at something new will be to get fruit in a hearty dish.

The notion of goose is utterly unknown here, it's either Turkey, or game (I think that's the word? Meat that still has the pellets from being shot in it?), though lobster is also gaining ground. The sale of funcooking-appliances which make you do everything yourself (fondue, gourmet, raclette, ...) also peaks around this time of year. I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting around a tiny kettle waiting for my bit of meat to cook this Christmas too.
[/b][/quote]

allrecipes.com is an absolute blessing, lot of different recipes posted by the users, lots of good stuff and shows how much it serves plus nutritional information. It's good for finding a new idea about spices and flavour combinations. Always happy to help out with the turkey, hopefully it works for you, because now i've been getting 3 straight turkeys that are amazing and juicy! Also after watching about 20 hours of food network on tv I found another hint for keeping turkey meat moist: use sharp knives for carving!

Good luck with the christmas meals and of course merry Christmas

Christmas lunch with mum sis and nanna we are having turkey chicken and pork oh nom nom. :D Not to mention my nanna's awesome home made christmas pudding for dessert.

Followed by getting shitfaced on coopers sparkling ale. B)

Just want to say merry christmans..

Its like 8 in the morning here in Uruguay.. and i had my share of whisky all along from the evening.. so.. marery chistmnas!!!

I really learn and enojy in the forium!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Merry Christmas all.

Now everyone gather by the piano and we'll all sing some carols.

I thought I had a good time until I saw Leskos picture. Now I realise my Christmas was somewhat wanting...

My food was edible! All I ask for.

Learned to play Whist, am I boring or what? I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll learn the sort of in-laws a Spanish card game next time.

Had whiskey with an alcohol percentage of nearly 60. Was 59,(something)% And it was tasty! Good thing I only had one helping though.

I do wonder why it's always fondue on Christmas, there's always the risk of burning down the house, and you spend most of the time waiting for things to cook.

Got some awesome pressies, not the point of Christmas but still, enjoyable. Getting the last few on New Year's, but I already know what I'm getting.

Next year, Christmas Eve comes with an extra guest, I'll hopefully be an aunt by then :) Weird that I'm already looking forward to that.

Anyway, enough blank lines, must go study History of European Theatre up to the 17th Century.

Hope everyone had a merry Christmas :)

Latest posts