• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Clarkson: "Ruck off you nancy Aussies!"

P

Prestwick

Jeremy Clarkson, newly converted to Rugby, lets rip at the French, Australian haircuts and the forces which threaten to change Rugby forever. He also talks about despite dispising everything Welsh, he can't help but like Wales...? :huh:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...icle3602024.ece

I mean, here is a prime example against the argument that "all fans want free flowing rugby." Here is a fan, a new one at that, who likes Rugby as it is thank you very much and that the likes of New Zealand, Wales and France have managed to play free running rugby within the existing rules through its gradual evolution in the past century:

Know a great many rugby fans who claim to know what's going on out there, but that's just the beer talking. The fact is that no one does. And yet despite this the game works.

We saw examples of the two extremes in Wales's game against France last weekend. In a scrum towards the end of the match, the Welsh forwards simply steamrollered the Frenchies clean off the ball. It was an exquisite demonstration of power. And then, moments later, some ugly little ginger burst out of nowhere and ran the length of the pitch in an exquisite demonstration of speed.[/b]

I agree with him but rugby is being made in to a sport like bull fighting just without the bull (it's now a cow and if you want to be really nasty, a sheep) and well instead of fighting its now kick ball, instead of fighting the bull/sheep you kick its balls as much as you can so you dont have to try and run. I know I am saying this because the SA teams suck at this! Thats not includeing the sharks because they have more french hobos and Maories in their team than The All Blacks. But I have to say if the rules stay this way the AB's will win for sure. But still the new rules suck because now there is now more competition fot the AB's, and instead of making it a more running game it has become a bit like Australian football with more kicks and even less running (this is not including some of the New Zealand teams). And what the hell was wrong with that ref that gave Derick Hougaard a yellow card for offside?????? :wall: :%#%#:

Is Clarkson a convert? He wrote a bit about rugby last year, and he strikes me as the type who would have grown up with the game but left it behind because, well ... games are just silly, aren't they? Bunch of grown men and all that.

I know he's a convert to card games at Christmas - sure sign of a civilised man.

Is Clarkson a convert? He wrote a bit about rugby last year, and he strikes me as the type who would have grown up with the game but left it behind because, well ... games are just silly, aren't they? Bunch of grown men and all that.
[/b]

Er....have you ever watched Top Gear? Not exactly high brow Adult stuff Channel 4 stuff is it? He likes Rugby because it appeals to his silly, old style laddish, nature.

It's a funny article (I'm being serious). Yet the ELV's have nothing to do with how rugby is becoming soft, if anything it's made the breakdown more competitive and sustained the scrum as an attacking platform while given teams MORE options to run the ball.

Regardless, rugby is the ****, with or without ELV'S, and I'd say most aussies will agree with me. I just hope they stay in Super 14 rugby, the payoff in match fitness and loose play come international test time will be worth it.

<div class='quotemain'> Is Clarkson a convert? He wrote a bit about rugby last year, and he strikes me as the type who would have grown up with the game but left it behind because, well ... games are just silly, aren't they? Bunch of grown men and all that.
[/b]

Er....have you ever watched Top Gear? Not exactly high brow Adult stuff Channel 4 stuff is it? He likes Rugby because it appeals to his silly, old style laddish, nature. [/b][/quote]
Top gear is about burning oil - Essex Tea - and heated debates on "who cares about global warming?" Very serious stuff. Clarkson - intellectual giant, grand English ****-taker.

I bet he played rugby as a kid, but complained about being thrown in to the second row when he really needed attention as a #10.

Great Article, IMO. I never knew there was so much animosity towards the aussies, however...wow. I'm laughing, but knowing that if I were from the land down under I'd want to ram a few top gears up Mr. Clarkson's backside and call it a day.
The ELVs suck. I really can't figure out why they are even being proposed. Why are we trying to change rugby? I agree the world cup final sucked (shame on you england and south africa, you made the biggest match of a 4 year period a snoozer), and that is not how rugby should be played, but what can we do??? Me personally, I'm going to make fun of the English...it's a great past-time for me...haha!
I'd like to see more rugby writting from Mr. Clarkson...he's funny, and just puts it out there...good on ya!

The ELVs suck. I really can't figure out why they are even being proposed. Why are we trying to change rugby? I agree the world cup final sucked (shame on you england and south africa, you made the biggest match of a 4 year period a snoozer), and that is not how rugby should be played, but what can we do???
[/b]
How many S14 games have you watched?

Every sport has changes, and as rugby is a new professional sport, changes were/are inevitable.

Remember how line outs were before it was legal to lift players? Messy stuff.

And the ELV's are not nearly as extreme as the line out law changes were.

I'm not defending the ELV's, but do some research or something. I'll start you off.

FACT: There are more scrums, on average, per game with the ELV's in place.

BTW I thoroughly enjoyed the WC final :D

But what I do understand is that all of the law changes, and there are about 6,000 of them, are designed specifically to take the scrum out of the game. This is important in places such as Sydney. Get that lot into a bending-over position with a bunch of other hunks and you’d never pull them apart.

[/b]

:lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol: :lol:

I must read more of his article..

<div class='quotemain'>
The ELVs suck. I really can't figure out why they are even being proposed. Why are we trying to change rugby? I agree the world cup final sucked (shame on you england and south africa, you made the biggest match of a 4 year period a snoozer), and that is not how rugby should be played, but what can we do???
[/b]
How many S14 games have you watched?

Every sport has changes, and as rugby is a new professional sport, changes were/are inevitable.

Remember how line outs were before it was legal to lift players? Messy stuff.

And the ELV's are not nearly as extreme as the line out law changes were.

I'm not defending the ELV's, but do some research or something. I'll start you off.

FACT: There are more scrums, on average, per game with the ELV's in place.

BTW I thoroughly enjoyed the WC final :D [/b][/quote]
I've watched about 50% of the S14. So, I figure that's a good enough amount to make an educated decision. Yeah, I love scrums...I just think that the ELV's are pointless law changes.

Here'sm not forgetting the new changes to the offside law which now make it illegal to make a tackle...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S54fHOLVulY&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S54fHOLVulY&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Here'sm not forgetting the new changes to the offside law which now make it illegal to make a tackle...
[/b]

Wow...erm, how the hell does all of this work? There seems to be a lot of rule changes, but i can't be arsed to see it in action...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S54fHOLVulY&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S54fHOLVulY&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
[/b]
Hmmm. Once Burger received the ball, wasn't that the new offside line? Too complicated, but maybe that's a "hard cases make bad law" example.

Love the "arrrrrround" from the pundit.

Or, if the offside line has infact been made and a ruck formed, the ball was then played by a man on the ground so it should be penalty blue anyway.

See... ELVs are ruining rugby.

Latest posts