• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys

It was just for persistend infringing from the team in general. Congrats Clermont, fully deserved the win today.

It;s all over, 27-7 to Clermont.

So Clermont will win the pool. The Ospreys will still qualify if they beat Leicester next week I think, but they'll play away in the qf.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 16 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The pool is Clermont's.

Ospreys can hopefully achieve best runner-up status.[/b]

Not necessarily, Leicester are more then capable of putting 5 on the Os with current form.

Cardiff Blues beating Sale has helped the Ospreys in that regard. maybe the Scarlets can do the same, and reduce the likelyhood that London Irish get's a spot.

Looking at the pools, it's between Northampton, Ospreys, Leicester and London Irish for the two runners up spots.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 16 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not necessarily, Leicester are more then capable of putting 5 on the Os with current form.[/b]
Can't see that happening at the Liberty stadium.

Out of interest did the O's ever bring on Shane?
when it was 20 - 7 with like 10 mins left, you'd think they'd put him on, seeing as he can create stuff from nothing.
Thought Byrne was fantastic, apart from that mistake for the try, Biggar was good for most of it but made a few mistakes, mostly because he was on the back foot, which might count against him for the 6N.
He did have a cracking tackle on Nalaga though!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 16 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cardiff Blues beating Sale has helped the Ospreys in that regard. maybe the Scarlets can do the same, and reduce the likelyhood that London Irish get's a spot.

Looking at the pools, it's between Northampton, Ospreys, Leicester and London Irish for the two runners up spots.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 16 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not necessarily, Leicester are more then capable of putting 5 on the Os with current form.[/b]
Can't see that happening at the Liberty stadium.
[/b][/quote]

Saints or Munster are mathematically out of the runners-up contention. Either one of them wont get more then 20/21 points as runner up which isn't enough.

Leinster or NotNots will be one while it'll be Clermont for the other. If Ospreys are as shite as they were today, Tigers pack with carve them to pieces. Once that happens, the rest is academic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jan 16 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Out of interest did the O's ever bring on Shane?
when it was 20 - 7 with like 10 mins left, you'd think they'd put him on, seeing as he can create stuff from nothing.[/b]
He came on about 50seconds before the end

The referee favoured Clermont. Clermont played cleverly and just held onto the ball, frustrated the Ospreys, then went. The most annoying game I've watched since the first Lions test, but hats off to Clermont. They played well, and I can't say they didn't just because of the one extra man.

Shane and Hook should have come on with 20 and 30 minutes to go, not 12 and 2, and I still don't get Adam's yellow card. The ref didn't say anything to him when he asked why.

Ospreys hasn't loast at home in the HC since something like 2005! It's not gonna happen next week either. The Ospreys were beaten by the better team today, but they weren't destroyed up front, nowhere neer. They lost the kicking game, and gave away too many penalties. That + a couple of mistakes cost the O's at least a bonus point.

Leicester were destroyed when they travelled to Clermont (but for a comeback at the end, due to Clermont switching off). Didn't see the same today.

I think the Ospreys will win next week.

Dunc. The ref told Adam Jones that he was getting the yellow card for the team. Too many infringments, and I agree.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 16 2010, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ospreys hasn't loast at home in the HC since something like 2005! It's not gonna happen next week either. The Ospreys were beaten by the better team today, but they weren't destroyed up front, nowhere neer. They lost the kicking game, and gave away too many penalties. That + a couple of mistakes cost the O's at least a bonus point.

Leicester were destroyed when they travelled to Clermont (but for a comeback at the end, due to Clermont switching off). Didn't see the same today.

I think the Ospreys will win next week.[/b]

That was over a month ago, since then Tigers are unbeaten and dominating everyone in their path. Home advantage mat help the Os, but the old addage stands:

Write Tigers off at your Peril.

Yeh, fair enough Mite. You make a good point.....

Edit: there it is. Last time O's lost at home in the HC was on the 18th Dec 2005, against......... yep, you've guessed it, Leicester.

Ideally, Viadana will turn Clermont over and win 76-0 or something next week, and the Ospreys will have the same result (With 4 tries) against Leicster. It ain't gonna happen, but I think that the Ospreys will just squeeze it.

Oh yes a mouth watering game next week and just out of curiosity if Saints beat Munster yeah and we get a loosing BP that'd leave us on 21 and if O's beat Leicester without BP then that would leave them on 20 so you cant rule pool 1 out of best runners-up yet.

Like Saint will possibly go to 18points tomorrow with a bonus point win over Perpignan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 17 2010, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I think the Ospreys will win next week.

Dunc. The ref told Adam Jones that he was getting the yellow card for the team. Too many infringments, and I agree.[/b]

Clermont, Ospreys and Tigers are all quality teams. All capable of beating each other convicingly on their day. That Clermont beat Tigers easier than they beat the Ospreys has no relevance to next weekends game. Both teams are starting the knockouts 1 game early, winner will go through. Ospreys will be favourites but it's not like Tigers don't have previous experience of big away wins in the HC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Jan 16 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The referee favoured Clermont. Clermont played cleverly and just held onto the ball, frustrated the Ospreys, then went. The most annoying game I've watched since the first Lions test, but hats off to Clermont. They played well, and I can't say they didn't just because of the one extra man.

Shane and Hook should have come on with 20 and 30 minutes to go, not 12 and 2, and I still don't get Adam's yellow card. The ref didn't say anything to him when he asked why.[/b]

Mate the Ospreys were outplayed. Clermont were far more physical, and more intelligent with kicks and offloads

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 17 2010, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeh, fair enough Mite. You make a good point.....

Edit: there it is. Last time O's lost at home in the HC was on the 18th Dec 2005, against......... yep, you've guessed it, Leicester.[/b]
Leicester the only HEC team to do Munster at Thomond.

Cockerill managed his team very well during the injury crisis, and looks like the players are getting groovy.

As said Leicester have went away before and pulled a big win when needed and lets remeber all their injury problems seem to be coming to a halt and they'll have a quality 23man squad next week. And they'll be happy at been underdogs as it just gives them that bit extra incentitive.

Good game.

So talented backline for Ospreys, Byrne and bowe especially. Hook entry was not notabingly positive, and didn't understand the late entry of Williams while the team was 27-7, too late so, even to hunt for the defensive bonus.

Osprey's scrum much more solid than expected, but not as Clermont's definitely.

Ref very gentle for both teams, especially in the rucks, so no influence IMO.

Agree with most of that Mr.cyclopede. The Ospreys backs looked dangerous when they were given good field position. Unfortunately Clermont were stronger up front, endging the scrums (O's scrum was always gonna be alright with Adam, but James did creek), and dominating in the linout.

The biggest difference imo was brock James (even if he had a poor day kicking from tee). His clearances were huge, pinning the O's back time and again. Some of his up n' unders were also spot on, and although Byrne dealt with the majority, he missed one, and it proved crucial. Up to that point, the Ospreys were always capable of coming back, especially with the way Byrne was going in attack. After that, the O's were chasing the game, resulting in Biggar forcing things and giving the intercept away.

The Ospreys didn't help themselves either. We were undisiplined, and although I complained slightly about the ref in the first half, he was fine in the second and made little difference to the result. The Ospreys also made waay to many errors. I lost count of the amount of knock ons, even the likes of Alun-Wyn Jones were culprits!

Also didn't understand leaving Shane on the bench for so long. I was expecting him to come on as soon as Clermont scored their try from Lee Byrne's missed catch. And Hook had no opportunities to have an impact. Barely touched the ball (if atall).

Congrats Mr.cyclopede. That should be enough to get to the q/f. Just gotta hope the O's don't loose v Leicester.

Hope for you and for us that you'll win at home versus Leicester.

James as you said is great even when he misses penalties, the other one rising up is parra, and the combinaison of the two presents big potential.

Latest posts