• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Coliseum bringing the Top 14 to NZ

Why aren't they showing Welsh rugby in NZ instead?

:p I wouldn't worry about that guy too much or take what he posts on certain topics too seriously. We're talking about a guy who focuses most of his energy on his own complexes on this forum and hating hard. Like if you're wrong about some information, he won't just let you know, he'll inject a poisonous post onto the thread with all his repressed childhood torments and angst. Some are regular functional human beings, and some are like him...you haven't had the pleasure of seeing first hand what I've seen from him, but I'm not being cute or funny when I say I really really hope excited dyke is talking to a shrink. It certainly doesn't seem like it yet :p but I hope he is/will. Bless his heart.

It must really be difficult to watch the European Cup then, given Top 14 teams have been winning and in 2013 two Top 14 sides in the final even, what horror !
Oh please bring Prem or Rabo12 to France :D our Top 14 is too boring, please give us Munster smashing some Italian or Welsh club with their choke Rugby (which I respect a lot, mind you). Please give us Prem where there's like 5 good teams and the rest gets destroyed for an entire season, with all the excitement those leagues are known to conjure every weekend...

Top 14 ratings aren't high over there because human beings watch local domestic showings and events, people aren't exotists and driven by what is different, they're deeply rooted in what they know. They just want to follow their local club. And about that, how much do you think the ratings are in France for Prem or even better Rabo :D this is so fkng hilarious !!
And maybe if the Welshmen that come to France actually played some fkng Rugby as opposed to diva deluxe decoratives, clubs like Racing Metro would play them more and then maybe ppl in the UK would watch, but right now it's all FR and SA over there...

Man, the people of New Zealand would looove them some Rabo over there, I can tell ya that...instant recipe for success, cash, that's marketing right there, golden idea. :bravo:

*sigh* ehhhhhh...aaaanyways, hope Top 14 spreads and some folks in NZ or Aus can enjoy some of it there...

Why aren't they showing Welsh rugby in NZ instead?

Ah yes, the same sort of line of attack as Conrad Smith on this forum, and one that hardly makes any point.

I was never claiming the Pro12 was all great, in fact I've often pointed out the Top 14 has many advantages over it. Top 14 has disadvantages too, one is that is for the most part a turgid slow paced slog and not too attractive to the neutral. Hence why Super Rugby does much better numbers in the UK and they just increased their TV deal.

Last edited:
Top 14, AP and Pro12 is a pretty difficult watch for the neutral who doesn't have an stake in a team or a reason to support one. I'd probably watch Harlequins play if their games were regularly available here, purely because its where most of the English side of my family comes. My Dad was an Old St Marian so I feel a bit of a connection to that part of London.

I have not much interest in Top14 but if someone said I had to pick a team it would be Clermont, purely because its in the beautiful region of Auvergne.

Top 14, AP and Pro12 is a pretty difficult watch for the neutral who doesn't have an stake in a team or a reason to support one.

That can be said about any rugby match - north or south of the equator.

It can.

But if you're up at 8:00am you're probably going to be more open to watching SH contact-basketball than you are a NH midwinter mud-fight.

the talent in the Top 14 makes it interesting even for a neutral. Yeah it's the new European style you'll find anywhere that isn't NZ or Aus, but you watch a side like Paris, Bordeaux, Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon or Racing, (Montpellier even before the Trinh-Duc injury) at home with their 1st team on display you've got some really nice plays every weekend, some brilliant tries this year in particular, and lots of skill on display. The French talent alone is prolific and of all varieties, let alone there are stars like Habana, McAllister or Ranger, and then all the Fijian dynamites. It's not as silky as SR, that's clear, but to call it a slow boring league is ridiculous. Go play slow and boring ball against Clermont, Toulon, Toulouse...etc...see how they put 70 past you.

There are a good 7 or 8 teams that can really put on an electric performance for 80min, while a few (Oyonnax, Grenoble, Castres, La Rochelle, Bayonne) have lots of good weapons and can play exciting and committed Rugby and will put 40 on whoever comes to town. Others have to settle for being solid and committed as hell just to keep their asses in this perilous, relentless arena that is the Top 14 today (Brive, Lyon), and even they can unleash those backs.

But don't take my word for it. I only watch at least 5 matches out of 7 per weekend.

once again my friend you are sending out a gospel to the ignorant,(and of course that is not all but many) firstly its French so obviously crap as so often suggested, as we have said on a thousand of occaisons that of course it's all about the money, these great players come here only for the money, they bring their wives and children to a completely brand new environment, where they do not understand the language or the culture, because it's all about money and only money, of course they do, leaving behind their security, their houses, their families, because the sole reason is money, how naive of me!!!!
We obviously must know nothing about nothing and all the experts seem to be beyond the shores of France, how silly of me thinking i could explain to people what it's all about as i am deeply invovled, in the system, and could possibly give a truthful insight into the daily runnings and routines of the French TOP 14. how foolish of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS JUST WHERE IN FRANCE CAN A "MID WINTER MUD FIGHT BE FOUND" quote from the illustrious Rats who know all about all??????????????
certainly not at the grounds where i have been present and thats all of them, only BO possibly, and they are now in Pro D2 and perhaps Oyonnax in the deep winter months and thats more snow than mud, these two could possibly be in that category but one is no longer in the TOP 14 so ok you are right once again Rats, 1 out of 14 Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Im not talking about the quality of the rugby. Im referring to the lack of any team to support or a reason for doing so. Even in SR, Aussie and South African derbies hold little interest. Bulls v Stormers is the only one I bother with.

PS JUST WHERE IN FRANCE CAN A "MID WINTER MUD FIGHT BE FOUND" quote from the illustrious Rats who know all about all??????????????
certainly not at the grounds where i have been present and thats all of them, only BO possibly, and they are now in Pro D2 and perhaps Oyonnax in the deep winter months and thats more snow than mud, these two could possibly be in that category but one is no longer in the TOP 14 so ok you are right once again Rats, 1 out of 14 Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're honestly saying that the style of rugby in Europe (again, not the Top14 as you seem hell-bent on insisting) doesn't change in the winter?

I honestly do not understand why you are so upset that I think the style of rugby up here around this time of year isn't going to attract large audiences from NZ.

Please tell me where I have specifically or indirectly implied that either the PRO12 or Prem would be any more attractive. I haven't at all, because I do not believe it would be.

Firstly i am not upset but so often your little snide remaks are always throw in the face of France so i have decided to defend them, i do not think that is wrong, like you i have an opinion and i also do believe this is part of the TOP 14!!! thread concerning posts about the TOP 14, you may be different from everybody else, if i post about the Premiership thats where i go!!! Internationals the same!!! so your comment on here as far as i'm concerned are pointed and focused on the TOP 14 the style of rugby in the TOP 14 if its good enough to be beamed to NZ well for me that is excellent, the television company concerned obviously think it will be good or they would not be doing it.(remember your remark it would only last a couple of weeks!!!) You also have to remember that the South of France has excellent weather often we eat outside even had Christmas lunch on the terrace,, the grounds here are hard and dry more often than not with excellent drainage.there are 9 teams out of 14 who are south of Lyon, plus La Rochelle which is very clement we do not have the same problems that ihappen often over the Channel, with bad cold wet weather in the winter and no snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly i am not upset but so often your little snide remaks are always throw in the face of France so i have decided to defend them, i do not think that is wrong

Which are those then?
If I have done in the past, in what way are they relevant to this thread?

You seem to have interpreted my comment about interest lasting a couple of weeks, as a suggestion that Colliseum will pull out and stop broadcasting after that period. They'll broadcast what they've paid for until their contract runs out and will renew or not based on it's success. I don't think there will be anything other than a very small niche audience. I have no idea whether Coliseum will consider that a success or not.

You're flat out telling me you're ignoring what I've actually written and are assuming that I mean something other than exactly what I've said.
Even after I've attempted to clarify my comments (as if they could have been any more binary anyway).

So, again: Are you actually claiming the style of play in the Top14 doe not change dependent upon the season?
Or that the current overseas broadcasts of the Top14 (or any other domestic league) have anything other than niche audiences?

they are not relevent to the thread at all, just always thrown towards France, you said interest will only last 2 weeks, therefore it must be because of no interest in NZ about the TOP 14, i presume you know nothing about contracts in this TV company, and when talking about mid winter mud fests we rarely have them!!! so do your homework, if you are not talking or posting TOP 14 USE THE OTHER THREADS AVAILABLE !!! end of story this is getting boring and repetitive so this will be my last post on this subject.

All right gents, can we stop the ****-shooting for one moment?

I really just wanted to raise the fact that rugby was being made available on demand in New Zealand for a very good price.

Whether or not the rugby is of good quality comes down to individual opinion, but will definitely be giving it a go for such a good price (and no mandatory sign-up length).

So if you want to discuss the above then that's great, please go ahead! If, however, this thread continues to head south (like a lot of threads have tended towards lately) then I will be shutting it down :)

in that case stop some of the anti French comments by ps.... ing them please, thank you

in that case stop some of the anti French comments by ps.... ing them please, thank you

The comments themselves are hardly offensive. They may well be ignorant (in your opinion) but it's unlikely they will deter anyone from at least giving the competition a go. Hopefully some more posters on here will get to see the Top 14 due to this new service which will provide some more points of view.

Like I said, let's focus on the topic at hand. From this point on any one who is actively ignoring what I've said here and intentionally inflames the situation will receive a warning. The best way to get someone to stop saying something is to ignore the.

Like I said, let's focus on the topic at hand. From this point on any one who is actively ignoring what I've said here and intentionally inflames the situation will receive a warning. The best way to get someone to stop saying something is to ignore the.

....the what ?...oh God man don't keep us hanging like that, what's the secret to peace of mind, IGNORE THE WHAT ??!! THE WHAAAT ?!!!!!!

And yes I must concur with Lord Gastonville IIIrd, it's obvious some people's attacks on the Top 14 here are more due to satisfying personal bias, quite possibly even complexes rather than pointing out anything that matters objectively. I mean like I said before, the Top 14 is French, i.e. European - it is different from Super Rugby and is less fluid than Aus/NZ club Rugby. It doesn't take insulting and what not to get that point across. But to me it's obviously the more entertaining one out of the 3 main European leagues, and it's not even close for me.

Latest posts