• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Combined NSW-Queensland Country XV vs. British and Irish Lions (11/6/13)

Not very good game to be honest, Line out was rubbish if Youngs gets a start at Hooker this week and the lineout goes well I could see him starting the first test because nither Hibbard or Best look like test starters. Roberts should not be starting the first test he just doesnt look like the player he was 4 years ago and the same goes for AWJ. The back row looks messy, Gatland has to select Warburton but who does he leave out? Tirpiric and SOB have both been good even when one was playing out of position at 6. Could move the captain to 6 but that would mean no Dan Lydiate and Im slightly miffed that Croft hasnt been allowed to prove his form. No8 is up in the air but am I the only one who thinks Falatau isnt THAT good? Scrum half is between Phillips and Youngs and we can only really have Sexton at 10. Centres BOD and either Davis or Manu but I have a feeling Gatland will pick Roberts. Back 3 and props is where things look more healthy, Jones at TH is as good as it gets with Cole at back up and Mako and Corbs at LH, North is fantastic, Hogg and Halfpenny are in great form Maitland is a decent back up and hopefully Zebo can take the other wing spot of the slightly out of sorts Cuthburt but otherwise very underwhelming really need to up their game this Saturday.

Tirpiric and SOB have both been good even when one was playing out of position at 6.

I'd argue that SOB was playing in his correct position at blindside. It's where he's best imo. He was moved to 7 for Leinster and Ireland due to a lack of alternatives.

I'd argue that SOB was playing in his correct position at blindside. It's where he's best imo. He was moved to 7 for Leinster and Ireland due to a lack of alternatives.

He still plays 6 a lot for Leinster. It depends on whether they want to play Shane Jennings at 7 or Kevin McLaughlin at 6.

I actually looking at this in detail i too thinking like Tallshort that i don't see whats the X-factor with Falatau, why do ppl say he is the best number 8 in home nations? Ben morgans game offers more go-forward/creativity and i think he is a better passer. Not convinced with Heaslip he seems to either freeze when he gets to international level? I would call for Ben Morgan and see what he is like.

I still think it be a mistake to have lydiate as 6 as he offers nothing creativity wise and doesn't threaten any defences. Against the creativity and speed of the Australians Croft offers more, with O'brian coming on to cover either 6 or 7. Im not convinced we need a defensive person in 6 as we got enough power as it is.

I would also use tipuric as 7, but he has played against inferior opposition.
Also, i would seriously think Corbs has a great chance to be on the test team as he is technically a better scrummeger and game management then the others in his position. Rowntree is a big fan of his.

Also, im still thinking about Tulagni and BOD gelled better. Not sure what happened but i think Gats will go with what he knows and when he is in doubt will go with his tried and trusted welshman. Shame he didn't pick Twelvetrees (but i see he is recalled now)

I am a bit miffed with AWJ, i am impressed with Parling as he offers a lineout brain which will form the foundation for Gatlands strategy for the aussies. Parling with Robshaw are the most consistent performers in the premiership and for England. I think Parling MIGHT MIGHT of played himself in the team if he has a couple of good games.

Last edited:
I actually looking at this in detail i too thinking like Tallshort that i don't see whats the X-factor with Falatau, why do ppl say he is the best number 8 in home nations? English Player's game offers more go-forward/creativity and i think he is a better passer. Not convinced with Heaslip he seems to either freeze when he gets to international level? I would call for Ben Morgan and see what he is like.

I still think it be a mistake to have lydiate as 6 as he offers nothing creativity wise and doesn't threaten any defences. Against the creativity and speed of the Australians English Player offers more, with O'brian coming on to cover either 6 or 7. Im not convinced we need a defensive person in 6 as we got enough power as it is.

I would also use tipuric as 7, but he has played against inferior opposition.
Also, i would seriously think English Player has a great chance to be on the test team as he is technically a better scrummeger and game management then the others in his position. Rowntree is a big fan of his.

Also, im still thinking about English Player and BOD gelled better. Not sure what happened but i think Gats will go with what he knows and when he is in doubt will go with his tried and trusted welshman.

I am a bit miffed with AWJ, i am impressed with English Player as he offers a lineout brain which will form the foundation for Gatlands strategy for the aussies. Parling with Robshaw is the most consistent performers in the premiership and for England. I think Parling MIGHT MIGHT of played himself in the team if he has a couple of good games.

I never noticed that, good spot! LOL honestly i don't think it matters what nationality but i was making a point, for alternatives.

Tbf, I think you (we) all do that with your (our) respective nationalities.
Also, the whole "English players playing for the Lions" thing is still to recover its pre-2005 acceptance.

I think Heaslip lost his head a bit after half time, was trying to get involved in everything (including shoving the SH out of the way at one point). Wasn't of help with the 'structured game' they were trying to maintain.

By the way, that Tour of Thrones video is fantastic BG8.

Latest posts