• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commonwealth Games

Originally posted by kaftka+Mar 26 2006, 11:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Mar 27 2006, 12:43 AM
Gotta admit it's a bit of a joke when Australia gets more gold than the next 3 nations combined! WTF is wrong with the rest of the commonwealth?? Especially England! I mean FFS you lot have 3 TIMES our population!
MORE gold? Damn you Aussies are cocky... It's the same amount of gold. Jeez... [/b]
So it is! Bang on in fact. I apologise for my arrogance at pointing out the incredible inferiority of the other commonwealth nations... I'll try to avoid it next time, barring the belittlement of poms of course B) .

Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 26 2006, 12:43 PM
Gotta admit it's a bit of a joke when Australia gets more gold than the next 3 nations combined! WTF is wrong with the rest of the commonwealth?? Especially England! I mean FFS you lot have 3 TIMES our population!
But we have 10 times as many obese people as you.

Originally posted by harrison2468+Mar 26 2006, 02:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Mar 26 2006, 12:43 PM
But we have 10 times as many obese people as you. [/b]
And competitive sport is banned in England under the Labour government.

We therefore have no concept of winning...

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Mar 27 2006, 02:27 AM-->
Originally posted by harrison2468+Mar 26 2006, 02:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Mar 26 2006, 12:43 PM
But we have 10 times as many obese people as you. [/b]
And competitive sport is banned in England under the Labour government.

We therefore have no concept of winning... [/b]
Welcome to Helen Clark's New Zealand.

<!--QuoteBegin-Sanzar

Give it up, everyone knows that the only 2 events that count are Rugby 7's and Netball.

and the 1500m :p that was a great run i dont think the aussie would have been able to catch him even if he didnt fall :)

It's lucky for Australia that there wasn't an event called "Media Representation of the Games".

Channel Nines's coverage was terrible.

You'd expect a certain amount of bias but they took it to excitingly low depths.

And also did anyone else think that the Australians protesting, and succesfully getting the English womans 4x400m relay team DQ'd in the final reeked of sour grapes? I mean the English team slaughtered them and the "apparent" breach of the rules was tiny.

Originally posted by BigTen@Mar 31 2006, 01:13 AM
It's lucky for Australia that there wasn't an event called "Media Representation of the Games".

Channel Nines's coverage was terrible.

You'd expect a certain amount of bias but they took it to excitingly low depths.

Well with multiple events happening at once ,9 had to make the decision to show what the Australian public wanted to see...... and half the events were won by Aussies anyway so you cant really blame them for showing the majority of the Australian events.

I heard England was very much the same in there coverage electing to show all British athletes events even if they were in no contention for medals.

If any Australians wanted to watch Cook Islands v Mozambique in the lawn bowls they could have subscribed to the FOX Sports coverage which had 7 dedicated channels playing 24 hours a day with over 1100 hours of live sport.

And also did anyone else think that the Australians protesting, and succesfully getting the English womans 4x400m relay team DQ'd in the final reeked of sour grapes? I mean the English team slaughtered them and the "apparent" breach of the rules was tiny. [/b]

Rules are Rules and the English runner Devonish clearly pushed in front of Lewis to gain the inside lane although i was a little dissapointed with Tamsyn protesting but if the officials had been doing there job she wouldn't of had to.

When the Aussie women won the medaly relay(smashing there own world record) the English 4x100 IM relay team aparently protested after the Libby Lenton jumped out of the pool when the Sri Lankan girl was still yet to finish the race, funny thing is ... if they knew the rules they would have realized that it was perfectly legal.

Hey Big Ten, did an aussie run over your dog or something?

Obviously I know that rules are rules and stuff but...

If I get beaten in an event and found out that the winner had made a tiny break of the rules that didn't make any real difference to the outcome of the race I would be embarrased if they were DQ'd and I was elevated to first.

Even Jana Pitman acknowledged that they didn't deserve to win and she was very uncomfortable with taking the gold.

I bit like the woman snowboarder who won the race after the girl who had lead the entire race tried to do a stunt on the just jump and wiped-out. Yeah sure you did finish first but you know, even if it is deep-down, that the other person was better than you.

The Nine coverage was so bad that even Australian media commentators have mentioned it. I thought that the coverage was always going to be Australia-centered but they would still show big events (like the 7's final) even if it didn't involve Australians. I also think showing an Australian receiving a silver medal but then cutting the feed before showing the non-Australian athlete getting the gold is disrespectful.

And another thing - pretty much of all of the commentators went on endlessly about how good and fair the Melbourne crowds were. That's crap - they were as one-eyed and rude as any Aussie Rules crowd are. There were plenty of athletes and teams, and not just New Zealand teams either, that got continiously booed and jeered.

I am not anti-Australian - I am just telling it like it is.

Speaking of bitter I see that the uneasy truce between Jana Pittman and Tansyn Lewis has ended. I can't believe that the two of them could ever be in the same team as they obviously hate each other.

It has started to get into a "she said this but then she said this" kind of thing.

It's good to see that I am not the most bitter person out though, huh The_Truth!?

Actually maybe the stuff that I say isn't actually bitter at all. And it just means that I do not buy into the hype.

Latest posts