• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commonwealth Rugby 7's

damnit, that's what I thought I heard. Won't bother setting an alarm then. Unfortunately my only lecture other than Friday is tomorrow at midday, so looks like I'll also miss the medals matches :(

If there were 15 players per team I would think choking would be a distinct possibility - luckily (for New Zealand) we don't tend to choke in 7's. I'm certainly not saying Wales couldn't beat New Zealand (as anything can happen in sevens), but New Zealand would have to be huge favourites going into this game... I suppose we will find out in a few hours....

We are long overdue to be upset in a Commonwealth Games 7's tournament. Wales are well capable of being the team to do it if they have a day where everything goes according to plan.

I think we as New Zealanders need to guard against assuming that this is in the bank or even 90% certain. It's going to get tough from here on, as many teams have had upsets against New Zealand over the last four years in 7's, so it can happen again.

I have decided that I will be getting up early to watch the games ... there are some tasty fixtures and after today's great showing then tomorrow has a lot to live up to.

We are long overdue to be upset in a Commonwealth Games 7's tournament. Wales are well capable of being the team to do it if they have a day where everything goes according to plan.

I think we as New Zealanders need to guard against assuming that this is in the bank or even 90% certain. It's going to get tough from here on, as many teams have had upsets against New Zealand over the last four years in 7's, so it can happen again.

There could be a big upset in the quarter finals, I just hope it's not in the NZ game! I'm really hoping that Kenya manage to upset Australia - the Kenyan players will certainly be comfortable with the hot conditions, so may have a chance if it's a fast open game.

Interesting the NZ TAB have New Zealand as almost unbackable favourites versus Wales (NZ paying $1.01, with Wales at $11.00) - though I'm pretty confident New Zealand will win this game, I certainly don't think they are as big a favourites as those odds suggest.

There could be a big upset in the quarter finals, I just hope it's not in the NZ game! I'm really hoping that Kenya manage to upset Australia - the Kenyan players will certainly be comfortable with the hot conditions, so may have a chance if it's a fast open game.

Interesting the NZ TAB have New Zealand as almost unbackable favourites versus Wales (NZ paying $1.01, with Wales at $11.00) - though I'm pretty confident New Zealand will win this game, I certainly don't think they are as big a favourites as those odds suggest.

They have never lost a game in the history of sevens rugby at the commonwealth games, so i don't see any surprises with bookies being uneasy to pay out for an NZ win.

They have never lost a game in the history of sevens rugby at the commonwealth games, so i don't see any surprises with bookies being uneasy to pay out for an NZ win.

Exactly. Still, stranger things have happened Ranger. I'm not saying it'll be Wales, but it could be in the semi, or final that we finally lose one. I really hope we win it, but am always nervous when people think the golds in the bag. :)

its not the same without Fiji but i have enjoyed watching India for the first time. they do have potential to be a good team in the future. haven't watched a full game of nz or samoa yet, was surprised to see PNG scored 3 tries against them though

its not the same without Fiji

Nah its not, Ive never thought Id see a world sevens tournament without the 7s force that is Fiji. However thats good for us, cmon SAMOA!!!

Not happy with the we are playing at the moment, we gotta cut out our silly errors and some our guys seem too cocky to me. CMON SAMOA!!!

Hopefully it's NZ vs Samoa in the Final! Samoa are beating us on the Medal table! They are having a fantastic commonwealth games so far...

Exactly. Still, stranger things have happened Ranger. I'm not saying it'll be Wales, but it could be in the semi, or final that we finally lose one. I really hope we win it, but am always nervous when people think the golds in the bag. :)

Yeah i was just looking at it from a bookmakers perspective. I don't even really want New Zealand to win this one, id rather a smaller nation like Kenya took it out. It would be massive for them but the New Zealand public has been caring less and less with all these victories. Maybe if they lose the NZRU will get a wakeup call for next time around, less Tim Mikkelsons and Toby Arnolds and more superstars.

Yeah i was just looking at it from a bookmakers perspective. I don't even really want New Zealand to win this one, id rather a smaller nation like Kenya took it out. It would be massive for them but the New Zealand public has been caring less and less with all these victories. Maybe if they lose the NZRU will get a wakeup call for next time around, less Tim Mikkelsons and Toby Arnolds and more superstars.

I'm not really sure i'd call Kenya one of the smaller nations in World Sevens - Sevens is more popular than fifteens in Kenya, and they are one of the few countries to run a domestic Sevens competition ... I know that's not the point you are making Ranger, but I think the NZRU would provide more of the Super stars, if the Commonwealth games weren't held one year before the RWC ... thank goodness the Olympics are held the year after the RWCs

I'm not really sure i'd call Kenya one of the smaller nations in World Sevens - Sevens is more popular than fifteens in Kenya, and they are one of the few countries to run a domestic Sevens competition ... I know that's not the point you are making Ranger, but I think the NZRU would provide more of the Super stars, if the Commonwealth games weren't held one year before the RWC ... thank goodness the Olympics are held the year after the RWCs

I realize that, but Kenya is still a minow compared to the likes of NZ, Fiji, Samoa, England etc, they are probably the least powerful nation that actually has a realistic shot at gold. Winning would be huge for the sport in Kenya, where as it would be just another expected victory here. I dont really see the one year away from the RWC thing being relevant, its only a two day competition.. If anything the training camps would do the players good. If Teitjens got his hands on Weepu and got him fit, he would be dynamite come world cup time.

Can somone please post the sa scotland score

SA 10 - 7 Scotland
(HT: 5 - 7)

Australia vs South Africa
England vs New Zealand
for the semis :eek:

Edit Numero Dos:
Scotland just beat Kenya 22 - 17 after playing 5minutes of extra time,
Thought kenya had it but they had a double movement for their try
Plate final for Scotland now, they take on Samoa
England vs New Zealand next

New Zealand completely outclassed England, they're unstoppable. Messam and Kama (sp?) are excellent - underwhelmed by Gear though, he just runs into people:
NZ 33 - 12 England
Not an excuse, but the referee did make some pants decisions :p

Last edited:
I realize that, but Kenya is still a minow compared to the likes of NZ, Fiji, Samoa, England etc, they are probably the least powerful nation that actually has a realistic shot at gold. Winning would be huge for the sport in Kenya, where as it would be just another expected victory here. I dont really see the one year away from the RWC thing being relevant, its only a two day competition.. If anything the training camps would do the players good. If Teitjens got his hands on Weepu and got him fit, he would be dynamite come world cup time.

The point is that the NZRU is more likely to risk injury to more star players, and release players and not worry about working out their top combinations etc, 3 years out from a world cup than less than 12 months out from a world cup ... the likes of Thomson, Gear, Ben Smith, and Gilford, were all excluded from the Tri-Nations this year - if the ABs hadn't been beaten by the Springboks so many times last year, lost the Tri-nations last year, and it being less than 1 year out from the RWC, the NZRU may have put more importance on CWG sevens, and released the Weepu's etc

... NZ through to the final 33 England 12

Australia just beat South Africa to get through to the final,
I'm sure someone said that it'd be NZ/Australia Gold/Silver :p
Having said that, i did say that SA would get Bronze, which I obviously don't want to happen now :lol:
I'll be happy to settle for 2/3 right

Australia just beat South Africa to get through to the final,
I'm sure someone said that it'd be NZ/Australia Gold/Silver :p
Having said that, i did say that SA would get Bronze, which I obviously don't want to happen now :lol:
I'll be happy to settle for 2/3 right
LOL I was hoping Samoa would go to the final so I could post something like...'SEE OLLY, I TOLD YOU'. My team I found dissapointing.

Congratulations to Wales for playing dire 7s and putting the effort it ....

The point is that the NZRU is more likely to risk injury to more star players, and release players and not worry about working out their top combinations etc, 3 years out from a world cup than less than 12 months out from a world cup ... the likes of Thomson, Gear, Ben Smith, and Gilford, were all excluded from the Tri-Nations this year - if the ABs hadn't been beaten by the Springboks so many times last year, lost the Tri-nations last year, and it being less than 1 year out from the RWC, the NZRU may have put more importance on CWG sevens, and released the Weepu's etc

... NZ through to the final 33 England 12

Its not like these guys are kicking it on the couch if they aren't playing sevens though, most of these guys are playing ITM cup anyway. Messam has played what, 60 minutes of rugby? he would have been playing much more than that if he had been playing the last few games for Waikato

Latest posts