• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Cheers so shock headlines and numbers to a relatively be non-story.

Explains why twitter and Facebook aren't going but this morning.
I wouldn't say non story. Israel are in the lead with their vaccination programme. UK is delaying second dose so they can get more people vaccinated. I think the danger is always that peeps get vaccinated and just think they are ok when this is developing issue, which Governments and scientists around the world are still watching closely.

I wouldn't say non story. Israel are in the lead with their vaccination programme. UK is delaying second dose so they can get more people vaccinated. I think the danger is always that peeps get vaccinated and just think they are ok when this is developing issue, which Governments and scientists around the world are still watching closely.
Well that a complexity in itself already arguing with in-laws about visits when they are dosed up, they have basically decided duck the guidelines and we are saying we'll do whatever we are told is best to do.

But yeah it hasn't been spoken about yet mainly due to the lockdown but people getting doses and acting like they are immune is going to be the next big issue for the government. Theres definitely a groupthink out there that once the vulnerable have their jabs everything is going to suddenly be back to what it was. Reality is we are looking at back-end of year before that actually happens at the earliest.

In 25 countries including the USA, UK, France, Switzerland and Sweden COVID-19 has now killed over 0.1% of the total population. IIRC, a few months back there were suggestions that the IFR could be as low as 0.1%. I think now that 25 countries, many of which have good quality healthcare systems, have surpassed that number for the total population of the country it suggests the IFR of COVID-19 is quite a bit higher than 0.1% across an entire population.

This is also the official figures, for the UK (for example) as discussed above, our death total is probably about 20-25% higher than official.
Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Project1.jpg

ETA, looking at that chart again, the UK is back to having more active cases than recovered!

Has there been any reports in your countries about the use of Ivermectin as a preventative drug for Covid?

Over here in SA there are widespread reports that Ivermectin can be used to prevent you from being infected with the virus.

Government knows their response has failed and they are putting everything on vaccinating their way out. It's why they have skipped the second doses until later. Situation is so bad and only going to lurch from lockdown cycle to lockdown cycle until herd immunity is reached and the only way to do that without a ridiculous number of deaths is vaccination. However, it doesn't take into account that immunity might not last or actually 1 dose isn't as effective as they hoped or simply that while we wait for this we still have record numbers dying.

Has there been any reports in your countries about the use of Ivermectin as a preventative drug for Covid?

Over here in SA there are widespread reports that Ivermectin can be used to prevent you from being infected with the virus.
I believe from SIL who is lead nurse in our local medical authority spoke to us about it , Its being trialled for people identified early with covid and is showing some positive outcomes.
It is a treatment not a preventive drug all trials are smallish at present but as it is a widely used anti lice drug side effects would be low for most and obviously as already approved for something else it is just repurposing and a bonus it is a few pence per tablet , hopefully trials on larger numbers show promise the small ones have.

Government knows their response has failed and they are putting everything on vaccinating their way out. It's why they have skipped the second doses until later. Situation is so bad and only going to lurch from lockdown cycle to lockdown cycle until herd immunity is reached and the only way to do that without a ridiculous number of deaths is vaccination. However, it doesn't take into account that immunity might not last or actually 1 dose isn't as effective as they hoped or simply that while we wait for this we still have record numbers dying.
And there's me getting all optimistic!

New variant could be around 30% more deadly as well as 30%-70% more infectious. Hope this makes people take it more seriously. My school has multiple classes of over 20 kids in one room. It entirely defeats the point of closing schools.

Last edited:

Hard call BMA wants vaccine at 6 weeks , PHE wants more people with first shot.
Another example of so called experts disagreeing with each other.
Us Joe public can take either side , for me not worth a fig, get all some protection no science behind it just seems the most logical thing to do , rather than protect others at 90+ % and have others just as vulnerable at 0%.
Of course no right answer.
The first quote when death is at acceptable levels such as flu which averages 17 k per year in England whoever we get there.

for me not worth a fig, get all some protection no science behind it just seems the most logical thing to do , rather than protect others at 90+ % and have others just as vulnerable at 0%.
That would be my thinking too

Surely the most obvious answer is a mix of the two, though?
The first however many groups they'd designated as the most at risk get their second jab within 6 weeks,
The rest within 12

Us Joe public can take either side , for me not worth a fig, get all some protection no science behind it just seems the most logical thing to do , rather than protect others at 90+ % and have others just as vulnerable at 0%.
I've said it before, but my issue is that it's only the right course because of the situation we're in and the fact that the government has lost control of the virus and is now just lurching between lockdowns.

Nearly a million jabs in 2 days , we may well have crap for most of this, but we are nailing jabbing.
If companies supplies keep up in 100 days whole population could be vaccinated.
I have of course allowed for under 18s in this guess, probably earlier when shed loads of young people and for whatever reason certain communities shun the vaccine.
Hope in dark times at present.

Citation needed, official stats only go until end of last week which was 1.6 million for that week.
Just reported on sky news 900k plus in last 2 days .
Everything else is as I said my guess work.
I know you only see everything as a glass half empty but why support good stuff in bad times.
Heyho as always your choice to see it as you see it.

Latest posts