• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Just classic lockdown tactics from the Tories,
Start lockdown too late, when cases are already too high and are still massively rising - come out of lockdown when cases are back down to about what they were when we went in, rather than where we want them/where they should be

Definitely feeling this lockdown more than the previous ones, but mid-Feb feels too soon - whilst cases are declining they're not really declining at any real rate anymore, there was a big initial drop (60k to 40k in about two weeks) but after that it's sort of levelled off a bit (37, 38, 33, 38, 37, 40, 35 over the last week)
We were at 27k a day at the Christmas U-Turn

Half term is 3rd week of Feb (15-19th) - add two weeks on to that to make sure it didn't cause a surge, and then see what the numbers are like then

Good news sadly I've seen reports of Johnson wanted to open things back up mid-Feb which sounds great to some extent as I'm having a bad day in terms of dealing with being lockdown but it feels like taking our foot off the gas and setting ourselves up to fail....for a 4th time.

If we open back up by mid feb we'll be locked down again by mid march. Without a decent test and trace system (let alone world-beating) we are reliant on vaccinations and we will still be doing the most vulnerable at that point and even then most without second jabs.

Just classic lockdown tactics from the Tories,
Start lockdown too late, when cases are already too high and are still massively rising - come out of lockdown when cases are back down to about what they were when we went in, rather than where we want them/where they should be

Definitely feeling this lockdown more than the previous ones, but mid-Feb feels too soon - whilst cases are declining they're not really declining at any real rate anymore, there was a big initial drop (60k to 40k in about two weeks) but after that it's sort of levelled off a bit (37, 38, 33, 38, 37, 40, 35 over the last week)
We were at 27k a day at the Christmas U-Turn

Half term is 3rd week of Feb (15-19th) - add two weeks on to that to make sure it didn't cause a surge, and then see what the numbers are like then
Yes, it's way too early to be talking about opening up again just yet; but the figures...
I always find it better to look at the smoothed figure of the rolling 7-day
Cases.jpg

FTR, in July, we bottomed out at around 550 a day. Tough to say when we came out of lockdown as it was so graduated over June/July; but we were still down below 1,000 a day. I'm not sure on the testing numbers back then.
No way we should be talking about easing lockdown until cases drop below 10,000 a day. At that point, we can start talking about easing in 2-3 weeks IMO. We're probably 4-5 weeks away from that point.

Last edited:
I just saw on the news that the state of Texas leads in Covid-19 vaccinations here in America. That really surprised me considering it's a red state and a lot of Republicans there believed Trump when he said the coronavirus wasn't anything to be concerned about. I guess they're finally waking up to the truth in the Lone Star state. Yeehaw!

The Covid-19 pandemic has brought with it an avalanche of misinformation. A number of myths have persisted that suggest Covid isn't particularly dangerous, or that governments shouldn't try to contain the virus with lockdowns and other distancing measures.

We call the people who promulgate these myths even after they have been disproved "Covid Sceptics". This isn't to say that they're necessarily sceptical of the existence of the coronavirus - but they are often sceptical about its effects. Some have claimed that the number of infections is much lower than it really has been, or that health systems were under less strain than they really were, or that the fatality rate and number of deaths were lower than they have been in reality. Some have been sceptical that a population-wide policy response to this virus is needed. Some Covid Sceptics have tended to promote one or two of the common myths; some have promoted them all.

"Sceptics" might be seen as a flattering term: scepticism is often a good thing. But as we detail below, many of the people featured here have made persistently inaccurate forecasts, repeated long-disproven claims, or engaged in faulty reasoning. Indeed, those we discuss have arguably not been sceptical enough about the claims of alternative "experts" who have underestimated the risks of Covid.

Should also add most deaths per million, in the world.

142477923_735273330323597_2838277120707101304_n.jpg

Looking at Wiki, 100,000 is more than the (UK) civilian casualties from all wars of the 20th century

Last edited:
At yet we still have Tory MPs trying to spin it as not their fault. I know Johnson says he takes the blame, but for me that is just a token apology to try and look like he's saying the right thing. If he truly felt remorse he would resign and let someone more competent take over. Or he would have invited labour to join a covid task force etc... There are so many things he could have done other than play politics, but that is actually what most of the decisions have been based on. What will have the least impact on our political fortunes in 4 years time and it has been a complete **** up.

Boris is sorry, and accepts responsibility - just not consequences.

"The government did everything it could" - if by "everything" you mean "locked down too late, mixed our messaging, contradicted ourselves, demonstrated that the rules don't apply, still haven't closed the borders, and were more interested in handing contracts for things like T&T and PPE to friends than anyone demonstrating competence"

Last edited:
Propaganda machine in full force this morning,

Who cares about 100k dead when Boris is so so sowwy and so so sad
321855132048211.png

Latest posts