• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

I read yesterday (or today, I lose track) that the Indian variant might not be as transmissible as feared. It might just be that a lot more cases were imported than were thought while Boris was busy not making a decision.

I suppose we'll find out in the next week or so.

Now nearly 3000 cases of B.1.617.2. Up nearly 30% from Monday. Read they are testing the sewage for where the variant is and then surge testing/vaccinating those areas.

_117090392_over-ordering_vaccine_2x640-nc.png
I can say from an Aussie perspective. We may have ordered many more than is "needed" but we're not getting them right now, Part of that is supply issues (which is causing big delays in our role out) and im sure part is to build a stock pipe for the future so probably not even expected any time soon

I can say from an Aussie perspective. We may have ordered many more than is "needed" but we're not getting them right now, Part of that is supply issues (which is causing big delays in our role out) and im sure part is to build a stock pipe for the future so probably not even expected any time soon
Ordered definitely doesn't mean delivered. Look at the difference between the U.K and the E.U on how many vaccines they actually got.

For me the issue is whether countries that have ordered more have wasted any and also whether these same countries, once they have vaccinated the majority of adults, will allow the companies to supply other countries who aren't as far along or if they will stockpile/vaccinate children, when there are vulnerable people in need in other countries.

Ordered definitely doesn't mean delivered. Look at the difference between the U.K and the E.U on how many vaccines they actually got.

For me the issue is whether countries that have ordered more have wasted any and also whether these same countries, once they have vaccinated the majority of adults, will allow the companies to supply other countries who aren't as far along or if they will stockpile/vaccinate children, when there are vulnerable people in need in other countries.
something they've rolled out in NSW, currently theyre still only doing over 50's or critical people...but, under 50's can register for a scheme to be notified if towards the end of the day they have a number of "open" vials that would otherwise be thrown out at the end of the day. If you can get there by the end of the day you can get it early.

But at least Australia is controlling its borders better than the UK. It'll buy the authorities much more time to get the roll out underway.

I found this interesting.

On the one hand it's good that the UK is testing to see the impact. On the other would the UK need a 3rd jab if it put it better controls, especially regarding people flying abroad. We potentially could give people 3rd jab to allow others to go on holiday, while people in other countries are still dying because they haven't had one jab.

I found this interesting.

On the one hand it's good that the UK is testing to see the impact. On the other would the UK need a 3rd jab if it put it better controls, especially regarding people flying abroad. We potentially could give people 3rd jab to allow others to go on holiday, while people in other countries are still dying because they haven't had one jab.

Yes, I checked out if I qualified for a 3rd jab but don't. The first jab has to be had in December and January and then a 84 day gap since the 2nd jab. The trial is also only going to include 3000.

It's going to aimed at those over 75 and targeted age groups who need a booster this winter.

Yes, I checked out if I qualified for a 3rd jab but don't. The first jab has to be had in December and January and then a 84 day gap since the 2nd jab. The trial is also only going to include 3000.

It's going to aimed at those over 75 and targeted age groups who need a booster this winter.
Which makes sense TBH as they'd be the ones with the poorest immune systems, slowest and lowest responses etc.

I think a 3rd jab is inevitable at some point; either due to fatigue of the immune response over time; or the virus mutating such that earlier vaccines are less effective.
TBH, I'd expect the reasoning to be the former, but to tinker according to the latter anyway, as there's no reason not to.

The other thing to mention with the significant over-ordering of vaccine is that not all of those orders will ever be fulfilled; yes there have been some brilliant results from vaccine trials, but there's been an equal number where the tested vaccine just didn't work and will never make production; whilst another X% will make production - but 5 years later.

Last edited:
I have a feeling the Summer Olympics will not be held after all. :(

I think IOC and Japanese Government have to make a joint decision to cancel it. Boils down to who takes the hit financially for insurance to pay out. But yes, they should just cancel it. Tokyo should be awarded next available one - 2032 .

WTF?

Last edited:
Last edited:
How much did we pay for this again?

I think it was around £30 billion IIRC. Yep, makes me lose confidence in it. But no system is going to be full proof. We can see countries like Taiwan and Singapore, who were so successful showing leakages in their system.

At my work even they are beginning to take their eye of the ball with those returning to the office who haven't been vaccinated yet and not insisting on them returning a negative LFT before attending.

Should they just get rid of the Amber list and merge with Red list? As it's too confusing. Green or red only. And should those who have had both jabs and also waited 14 days be allowed to travel freely to green list countries now NHS app has been updated?

I think it was around £30 billion IIRC. Yep, makes me lose confidence in it. But no system is going to be full proof. We can see countries like Taiwan and Singapore, who were so successful showing leakages in their system.

At my work even they are beginning to take their eye of the ball with those returning to the office who haven't been vaccinated yet and not insisting on them returning a negative LFT before attending.
There's a huge difference between "not being fool proof" and "barely functional" and it only reaches those heights because the individuals working it actually care and fight the system on behalf of patients.

There's a huge difference between "not being fool proof" and "barely functional" and it only reaches those heights because the individuals working it actually care and fight the system on behalf of patients.

Is the current test and trace barely functional? Or just gaps in the system, the B.1617.2 has exploited?

But also people have got to come forward and be tested. There's got to be an incentive to do so and not just rely on their goodwill. How often have people used the NHS Covid app to scan in where they've been? I remember ever so often, but barely see anyone do it in shops I have been in.

That's why they're having to test the sewage in areas to identify where this new variant is to fill the gaps where this test and trace fails.

Is the current test and trace barely functional? Or just gaps in the system, the B.1617.2 has exploited?

But also people have got to come forward and be tested. There's got to be an incentive to do so and not just rely on their goodwill. How often have people used the NHS Covid app to scan in where they've been? I remember ever so often, but barely see anyone do it in shops I have been in.

That's why they're having to test the sewage in areas to identify where this new variant is to fill the gaps where this test and trace fails.
In this context, I don't understand what sort of "gaps" there are or how B.1.617.2 has exploited it. The task presented by someone who has tested positive for B.1.617.1 is no different to someone with any other variant. I CBA to Google and compile a list of examples, but I'm sure a quick search would throw up a lots of examples of failings throughout the system's lifetime.

I don't think that there needs to be an incentive to come forward for testing, the government just need to remove the current disincentive. As things have been allowed to proceed, ONS data >>> anything else for this reason.

The NHS app is something I know a reasonable amount about as it's relevant to a couple of businesses that I'm involved with. IMO someone (or multiple people) should be held criminally responsible for its failures:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/04/covid-app-flaws-meant-pubs-broke-privacy-rules/

Latest posts