• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

In fairness, this was also the case pre Christmas but the gamble clearly paid off and sage were miles off yet again
"yet again", when else?

The shambles at the start was more political than scientific (scientists were quietly fuming that the government wasn't reacting), the complete **** show that was the end of 2020 and early 2021 was because they didn't listen to Sage to react earlier.

Christmas is the one time the government have actually got a call right and Sage advise was partially wrong although although the 7 day average death is still at it highest since March last year. Were still in a spike (that might be waning) just not as severe as potentially could of happened.

Maybe this will lead to better sick leave laws that will stop discouraging sick employees to turning up to work? (I kid no Tory government is ever going to toughen up workers rights). Removal of the requirement to self isolate is less of an issue then but socially if you sick you shouldn't be visiting people but the rules had to come in because people don't.

This jokingly is my actual worry we've heard zero information from the scientists which suggest this a purely political decision as opposed to a health one.

Reality is things are looking good, just be nice to get some scientific confirmation, we just have to pray we don't get a stronger strain from mutation.

On the first we know that -as long as it doesn't cost businesses. I am due back next week 3 days a week as my firm has agreed a hybrid policy of working going forwards. Sent the Managing partner an e-mail on no communication on ventilation (including recommended Government 10 litres of fresh air per person per second) or guide to mask wearing. No response other than to find out from my line manager that they are ramping up the air con in sections of the office where ventilation is poor. Businesses will look after bottom line first and foremost. If WFH doesn't interrupt business and they can avoid higher sick pay costs this way then I think any business will.

On Last point- good point.

For a company that had a stringent no work from home policy pre-pandemic it was announced we'd be moving to 3:2 (region dependent) from now on. Of course we haven't been required to be in the office since October 2020 (they never got to moving our site back to a rota last year before Omicron and they decided to play it safe).

My worries in office are pretty non existent I just wish we'd step up the efforts to get us in. Collaboration is starting to feel real low, the team feels disjointed after a year of working on different projects and our manager just announced shes leaving next month (after just over 6 months in the job).

Have saved a packet not commuting into office about £150 of my net pay per month since start of first lockdown. But realise sooner or later this will be offset against higher energy costs WFH. Have not really missed the commute in terms of time either.

I realise peeps need to go back to the office because of the benefits of collaboration, but I personally don't see why protective measures aren't clearly included in guidance by firms. It'll encourage and give confidence to a lot of peeps returning to offices.

For a company that had a stringent no work from home policy pre-pandemic it was announced we'd be moving to 3:2
I'm hoping my work does this at some point (there are whispers we might)

After being back full time in office for about 9months now I don't think I'd want to go back to fully remote (even if I did think I'd want it forever at the time), but a hybrid model would be nice

My employer plans to remove all desktop computers, downsize office space and let people work with their laptops in the office as much or as little as they want, based on line manager discretion. In October, only 1 person out of 15 in my team expressed an interest in returning to the office for even one day per week.

The argument seems to be that they made the investment in laptops (so we might as well use them) and pre-pandemic we were looking to leave a number of office buildings that were increasingly dilapidated. So it is a perfect storm that suits me down to the ground for both life and work. Meetings are far more productive (no travel time) and you can still fully interact with your most favoured / important colleagues whilst almost completely removing the office bore / creep / bully / sulk / attention seeker from your life. Bliss!

We have also introduced complete recording of all activity on the laptops, including cameras (if switched on), so there isnt even scope for workplace harassment or anything, as you'd risk everything you say and type being 'exhibit A' in the event of misconduct. Recordings are only accessible in the event of a report of misconduct so you can still joke about the workplace with complete freedom and don't have to modify your behaviour one iota when amongst friends.

All of this would have sounded a bit tragic to me pre-pandemic but now a return to the old ways seems pretty much unthinkable. Embrace the Black Mirror. :p

Seriously though drives me bonkers all this "got to learn to live with this" narrative when the key question of how is not being answered and just lift all restrictions or wait until March. And families like this one being criminalised by DFE.

So Camilla has now tested positive. So, just waiting if Charles has also infected the Queen?

Looks like he will be able to complete at Wimbledon though doesn't it? Now the government has unofficially declared the whole thing isn't worth worrying about anymore
Yeh Wimbledon likely the only one he'll play this year.

Not sure how to feel about the removal of all restrictions,

Denmarks numbers are...concerning, but then we've essentially had no restrictions for the past month so is anything really going to change?

Latest posts