• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

So if UK was more trusting of our Government, obedient as a society, wore masks, sanitizers everywhere/ Washing of hands effectively and just generally being more considerate of others space (more bowing and fewer handshakes) we could have saved 49,000 lives. Yeh, what a country we'd live in.

It's not only in the UK like that. Here in Poland (and in Russia as well) people are same : no one cares about other people health. I think it's just Japanese mentality: politeness and respect towards others..I was working with Japanese people in the past: they are incredible! Haven't met anyone like them

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-coronavirus-r-value-above-1-a4488566.html

R-rate in London creeping up again. London will be a good test of how well the test and trace program is working. Personally I feel that the latest relaxation is a combination of economic and political reasoning as the government knows the economy is struggling badly and they also want to try an look good politically by reopening pubs. Problem is that although cases and deaths have dropped they almost plateaued out at still quite a high level compared to other countries and it won't take much to push it back up again very quickly. I don't think the government has got much right if anything and they seem to be playing with fire here.

Weren't we supposed to be entering the pubs-opening-phase when the R rate was down to like 0.25?
We should barely be in phase 1 atm
Image_6.jpg

NHS figures released on June 25th:
  • England - 0.7-0.9
  • East Anglia - 0.7-0.9
  • London - 0.7-0.9
  • Midlands - 0.7-0.9
  • North East and Yorkshire - 0.7-0.9
  • North West - 0.7-0.1
  • South East - 0.7-0.9
  • South West - 0.6-0.9

I don't recall them saying 0.25 for pubs to reopen, but this Government's use of the R number has been pretty fickle. I think as Reisser's post has said, they realise how badly the economy is tanking and substantial loss of jobs in the hospitality industry is driving their drive to reopen pubs more quickly than anticipated. But yeh, the R numbers as at 29 June not looking good and stubbornly consistent in those ranges. Still, I am personally cautious approach and drinking from home for the foreseeable future.

USA it was supposed to be less than 5% tests coming back positive before a state could reopen. Look at Florida, which I believe positive tests are 13.8% last week and why they have seen rein infection rates sky rocket and contribute to the total country's rate going up to 55,000 daily.

Weren't we supposed to be entering the pubs-opening-phase when the R rate was down to like 0.25?
We should barely be in phase 1 atm
Image_6.jpg

NHS figures released on June 25th:
  • England - 0.7-0.9
  • East Anglia - 0.7-0.9
  • London - 0.7-0.9
  • Midlands - 0.7-0.9
  • North East and Yorkshire - 0.7-0.9
  • North West - 0.7-0.1
  • South East - 0.7-0.9
  • South West - 0.6-0.9
That graph (apart from completely lacking in any kind of numerical basis) is the biggest load of **** from this government. Johnson himself repeatedly said the lockdown would be eased as the r-rate continues to fall and it hasn't yet we have not deviated from their plan once.

I don't recall them saying 0.25 for pubs to reopen
I'm just going off the graph they released - the peak was supposed to represent 1.0, so phase 3 looks about a 1/4 - 1/3 of that

Not super scientific but just shows how they never intended on using the R rate to open things up again - it was just to make it look like they were using the science when in reality they had the dates set in stone regardless

Edit:
What @Reiser99 said!

@duncanb are you really that sad and pathetic to downvote my post for all i can think of mentioning USA's rising figures. Get a life old man.

I've never downveted a post in all time here I believe 100% in free and every individual to have an opinion.
I will agree disagree debate and agree to walk away with different views , please point out my dislike or down vote as I have never done one meaningfully if I have please show and I will remove immediately.
I have once again never reported ,down voted anything on social media.
Apologise if I have inadvertently.
@duncanb are you really that sad and pathetic to downvote my post for all i can think of mentioning USA's rising figures. Get a life old man.

It's not only in the UK like that. Here in Poland (and in Russia as well) people are same : no one cares about other people health. I think it's just Japanese mentality: politeness and respect towards others..I was working with Japanese people in the past: they are incredible! Haven't met anyone like them

I've been to Japan and agree with you. They were the kindest and most respectful people I've ever known. And it's a super clean country too. If the rest of the world tried half as hard as the Japanese the Covid-19 pandemic would have been over a long time ago.

I've been to Japan and agree with you. They were the kindest and most respectful people I've ever known. And it's a super clean country too. If the rest of the world tried half as hard as the Japanese the Covid-19 pandemic would have been over a long time ago.

Unfortunately it seems the prevailing attitude in the USA and UK is that things like politeness, compassion and social responsibility are horrible leftist, commie, freedom hating signs of weakness by beta males. You get the gung-ho morons talking up their wet dream of taking up arms against the government and valiantly fighting to defend their country and freedom against all enemies, yet these same people adamantly refuse to go through the mild inconvenience of wearing a face mask to help stop the spread of a raging pandemic.

Unfortunately it seems the prevailing attitude in the USA and UK is that things like politeness, compassion and social responsibility are horrible leftist, commie, freedom hating signs of weakness by beta males. You get the gung-ho morons talking up their wet dream of taking up arms against the government and valiantly fighting to defend their country and freedom against all enemies, yet these same people adamantly refuse to go through the mild inconvenience of wearing a face mask to help stop the spread of a raging pandemic.
Those morons will also support to the hilt, a baker who refuses to serve a customer, based on the customers sexuality.
And take up arms against a baker who refuses to serve a customer based on the customer's refusal to wear a mask.

Who could possibly have predicted that the same thing that happened at every easing (or hint of easing), would happen with this easing. Which came alongside a message that social distancing doesn't matter any more, and alcohol.

BJ told everyone to use their common sense (yet again), how could he possibly have thought it would come to this?

some real gob sh*** coming out on here. "compassion and social responsibility are horrible leftist, commie, freedom hating signs of weakness by beta males" what the f are you on. would have thought it was more the leftie anal retentives and those that swam up from the bottom of the gene pool to rip statues down attack the police, or go to the beach or have street parties that cause concern, bet they are all right wing as well. your general political out look can only be likened to Van Goughs ear for music.

Wow who could of predicted images of the pubs last night...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53296689
Pretty positive article to be fair. States majority of people behaved.

I assume crowds are outside due to limits on people being inside pubs. Hopefully this means there is less likely to be a spike as other outside events, protests and beach breaks, haven't led to a significant increase in cases.

Be careful looking at crowds in pictures. Very easy to make them look busier than they are with the perspective used when taking the picture.

some real gob sh*** coming out on here. "compassion and social responsibility are horrible leftist, commie, freedom hating signs of weakness by beta males" what the f are you on. would have thought it was more the leftie anal retentives and those that swam up from the bottom of the gene pool to rip statues down attack the police, or go to the beach or have street parties that cause concern, bet they are all right wing as well. your general political out look can only be likened to Van Goughs ear for music.
You're sort of proving the point about politeness

"You get the gung-ho morons talking up their wet dream of taking up arms against the government and valiantly fighting to defend their country"
"Those morons will also support to the hilt, a baker who refuses to serve a customer, based on the customers sexuality.
And take up arms against a baker who refuses to serve a customer based on the customer's refusal to wear a mask".
"compassion and social responsibility are horrible leftist, commie, freedom hating signs of weakness by beta males"
Predictably the above comments are not reacted to but my reply is, obviously the loony left are the only ones allowed to use strong language or object. social responsibility... that will be coming out to wreck statues and injure police officers I take it. With union representation, from unison for one. That is a left wing movement or do you not understand that. Compassion would be staying indoors not inflicting more disease on people. If you use such incitement, objectionable, ill-informed bull what do you expect. its a covid thread not the leftie meaningless rhetoric thread. First cast the mote out thine own eye.

Show me the swathes of left-leaning people who are arguing all is fine. You act like somehow this attitude is new, that has been the right wing attitude for ages. Have you forgotten about how many were getting themselves all excited over us sticking it to Brussels or the USA sticking it to the entire world? The current philosophy is centred on "We're all better than you lot" and a refusal to accept anything short of blind nationalism is just weakness. Which states in the USA have had lawmakers all opposing the actions to deal with the virus? Right wing ones. This isn't to say left leaning places aren't getting the virus or aren't doing stupid **** but it's the right leaning ones who actively oppose any measures, right leaning ones claiming their rights are being infringed etc.

Also if tearing down of Confederate and slaver statues is more a concern to you that systemic racism resulting in 1/3rd of a demographic going through the prison system at some point in their life then you really need to re-assess your priorities. Also every country that has been suffering worst from the virus so far is run by right wing popularists. This is not a coincidence.

Show me the swathes of left-leaning people who are arguing all is fine. You act like somehow this attitude is new, that has been the right wing attitude for ages. Have you forgotten about how many were getting themselves all excited over us sticking it to Brussels or the USA sticking it to the entire world? The current philosophy is centred on "We're all better than you lot" and a refusal to accept anything short of blind nationalism is just weakness. Which states in the USA have had lawmakers all opposing the actions to deal with the virus? Right wing ones. This isn't to say left leaning places aren't getting the virus or aren't doing stupid **** but it's the right leaning ones who actively oppose any measures, right leaning ones claiming their rights are being infringed etc.

Also if tearing down of Confederate and slaver statues is more a concern to you that systemic racism resulting in 1/3rd of a demographic going through the prison system at some point in their life then you really need to re-assess your priorities. Also every country that has been suffering worst from the virus so far is run by right wing popularists. This is not a coincidence.
Wow, what relevance has racism to spreading covid? It was the act of going out to commit criminal acts during lock down and going to the sea side for the day I have issues with that and the constant blah blah from obvious left wing bias that drives me nuts. I was once a union activist myself (num) and labour voter until half way through Blair but found I could not stomach the hypocracy and lies any more. So coming back to your comment you really think going out to protest is more important than people's lives. I hope covid acts in a Darwinian manner in that case, my priorities are well sorted. Get rid of covid, do not have anything to do with organisations that consider themselfs above the law and are willing to risk the lives of others for political gain. ( read the published objectives of blm). And not let mindless idiots wind me up.

Latest posts