• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

65th changing on the rules in the UK since march o_O

Edit: Reading them, they don't seem overly strict. Unless that click and collect shopping for essentials is like when Wales stopped supermarkets from selling clothes etc. and doesn't mean only from essential shops
Think we have most of those in England already, don't we?

65th changing on the rules in the UK since march o_O

Edit: Reading them, they don't seem overly strict. Unless that click and collect shopping for essentials is like when Wales stopped supermarkets from selling clothes etc. and doesn't mean only from essential shops
Think we have most of those in England already, don't we?
Technically I think the key one is the statutory guidance which basically says if you can work from home before there's no excuse now. I think many companies are arguing under efficiency this time around and telling employees to come in.

Honestly we need a far harder stay at home guidence with proper support for people who can't work from home beyond the the furlough scheme. But Amazon are still allowed to run as with many other firms offering delivery services or the manufacturing sector.

Some thing that get classified as key worker are a joke as well.

Technically I think the key one is the statutory guidance which basically says if you can work from home before there's no excuse now. I think many companies are arguing under efficiency this time around and telling employees to come in.

Some thing that get classified as key worker are a joke as well.
Aye that's fair,
I'm lucky in that my work never went back to the office in between lockdowns (my bosses did, but they live local and found it easier to work from there than at home) - but I've seen a lot of people saying their companies are forcing them to go in, saying that they made themselves COVID safe last summer (distancing, sanitizer etc) so it's fine.
It shouldn't be "Work from home where possible" it should be "Go to work if it's impossible to work from home".

Agree on that last part as well - was reading an article about how a shop chain, can't remember which, had a freezer sent to every one of their stores at the start of first lockdown, and a job lot of cheap frozen chips/chicken nuggets etc. so that they could stay open as essential shops.

I honestly don't think that there's a single shop closed in my closest town centre - everyone's found a loophole to stay open.

...how many u-turns is this government up to now?

episode 1 halloween GIF

187,645 shots (first and second combined) administered yesterday in England apparently. Getting there, but still edging the required run rate ever higher.

Edit: PsyberAttack (hacker / data analyst on Twitter) things that this is on pace to have everyone properly vaccinated in 18 months. Do we know how long the protection lasts? We could end up in a situation where those who received theirs early are needing another shot / shots while others are waiting for their first.

Largest single casualty list of over 1,500 deaths reported today taking the aggregate of the second wave beyond the first.

New cases are slowing a little and more are being vaccinated which is good, but it doesn't really feel right to be worrying about stuff like rugby in the midst of this.

Largest single casualty list of over 1,500 deaths reported today taking the aggregate of the second wave beyond the first.

New cases are slowing a little and more are being vaccinated which is good, but it doesn't really feel right to be worrying about stuff like rugby in the midst of this.
Read most of the cases are people who contracted it over xmas. Wonder if it was mixing households or just the general melee of supermarket shopping in the festive period

For fear of overanalysing a throwaway comment, sport in general is a welcome distraction for many people at a difficult time. As long as it's not contributing to the problem or diverting resources away from making it better, I think it is important enough to worry about.

Read most of the cases are people who contracted it over xmas.
3 weeks is the length of time generally accepted to go from licking a plaguebearer to winding up in hospital, so it's likely that we're just starting to see the damage that Christmas did.

Wonder if it was mixing households or just the general melee of supermarket shopping in the festive period

There seems to be a widespread enthusiasm for finding a single cause to blame, I guess it's human nature to want to simplify things into easily understandable chunks, but in a problem that is potentially made worse by every single interaction we have, it's never going to be that simple. Surely both were a factor, as were many others. The other big one that comes to mind is the fact that the tier system that was in place at the time wasn't sufficiently robust (or well enforced) to protect against an exponential spread of the UK strain.

Let's also remember the Christmas melee got heavier because of the last minuite cancellations and people had to get their own food suddenly.

Government should absolutely be crucified for the Christmas bungling especially as it went against the scientific advice.

Government should absolutely be crucified for the Christmas bungling especially as it went against the scientific advice.

Given that is was the answer to every vaguely awkward question for so many months, the abandoning of the "we're following the science" mantra should be a much bigger scandal. This is the one U-turn that I can think of that has left us travelling in the wrong direction. Who knows, if the government had followed the science and gone for the circuit breaker when it was called for, maybe we wouldn't have grown our own variant. Still, it's better for the economy that we kept it going for a week or two in the autumn and shut it down for multiple months in winter!

Let's also remember the Christmas melee got heavier because of the last minuite cancellations and people had to get their own food suddenly.
The mad rush out of London just before the new tiers, as well (/other big cities, I imagine - but it was the London pictures that stick in your mind)
Train stations absolute crammed full of people - only takes a few asymptomatic people to give it to a hell of a lot more, in the train station, who then spread it around the country

For fear of overanalysing a throwaway comment, sport in general is a welcome distraction for many people at a difficult time. As long as it's not contributing to the problem or diverting resources away from making it better, I think it is important enough to worry about.
Yeah I get that and everyone will see it in their own way depending on personal experience, how COVID has directly impacted them, age etc. For me sport's importance / interest has dulled but I accept that it will be the polar opposite for many.

Yeah I get that and everyone will see it in their own way depending on personal experience, how COVID has directly impacted them, age etc. For me sport's importance / interest has dulled but I accept that it will be the polar opposite for many.
My interest has dulled too, but for me it's more of a product of the lack of an affiliation with a GP team and lash up of a European tournament that have had this effect. I wish I didn't feel that way as I would welcome the distraction from everyday life. I was more responding to what I construed as you meaning that it was morally wrong to be worrying about rugby while the NHS is on its knees and corpses are piling up. I can understand anyone who feels that it's fatuous at the current time, but given that few of us can do anything to help matters (other than limiting personal contact and practicing good hygene / social distancing), I would argue that it's a positive thing for personal wellbeing and not something to feel guilty about.

Given that is was the answer to every vaguely awkward question for so many months, the abandoning of the "we're following the science" mantra should be a much bigger scandal. This is the one U-turn that I can think of that has left us travelling in the wrong direction. Who knows, if the government had followed the science and gone for the circuit breaker when it was called for, maybe we wouldn't have grown our own variant. Still, it's better for the economy that we kept it going for a week or two in the autumn and shut it down for multiple months in winter!
Theres a reason why that mantra was quietly dropped I think it was about the time of eat out to help out. But scuttlebutt from people in the know basically says the government ditched following the science when they tried to supercharge the economy by exiting the first lockdown as they did.

Whitty and Vallance are going to write one hell of a book someday/give astounding evidence at an inquiry. I assume they are only still working for government out of obligation and knowing resigning means the next people might be even more yes men.

My interest has dulled too, but for me it's more of a product of the lack of an affiliation with a GP team and lash up of a European tournament that have had this effect. I wish I didn't feel that way as I would welcome the distraction from everyday life. I was more responding to what I construed as you meaning that it was morally wrong to be worrying about rugby while the NHS is on its knees and corpses are piling up. I can understand anyone who feels that it's fatuous at the current time, but given that few of us can do anything to help matters (other than limiting personal contact and practicing good hygene / social distancing), I would argue that it's a positive thing for personal wellbeing and not something to feel guilty about.
I'd rather have rugby and other sport than not, but there is a bit of a moral element to it. Coincidentally I've just read this from yesterday's Grauniad which summaries some of the conundrums more eloquently than I'm managing.

Latest posts