• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

God thats going to be a complicated minefield, my extremely limited knowledge is your HR is broadly wrong any business is allowed to do anything to be COVID safe according to their internal practices.

What they probably can't do is "gate" paying people based on it, so you can't require LFT tests and then not pay them for not being able to come into the office. I'm actually unsure what if someone can't work due a failed PCR test. Definitely true to vaccine as it would definitely be a discriminatory act.

Mind you where I work HR was saying back in October the "work from if you can" advise was not legally enforceable and they could demand you come into the office. They caught tons of flack for that apparently up and down the country so have pretty much left sites to organise themselves since so we don't know whats going on even though some us have made request to go in a couple days a week.

In my area tax and accountancy there really isn't any need for people to be office based 5 days a week.

I understand why Businesses such as ours do want people back. They are paying rent on office space plus there's the whole they think people should be in for so called "collaboration" purposes. Also read between the lines to keep an eye on staff that they are working. But our work time is recorded via time sheets.

On positive LFT and then PCR test I would say as long as the worker is not too sick to work then they should either be off sick under sick pay or if they are able to then work from home.

Last edited:
Crazy thing is I spoke to my line manager who said HR and partners are not allowed to ask if you have been jabbed yet or insist on a negative LFT to attend the office. Is this true of other work places?
We've given HR our jab dates and do tests 1-2 times a week - seems voluntary but I don't know of anyone who's going against it, so it might be just that noones challenged it

Last edited:

Well that's not good for the current LFTs we've got.
Not exactly news though; we've known they're terrible for reliability since they were introduced.
They mostly served to give individuals a false sense of security, and make it look like the government were actually doing something.

"best thrown in the bin" is overly harsh though; the small benefit they did provide (both individually and public health wise) was a lot better than the zero benefit of not using them. You do the best with the tools you have, even if they're not the best tools

Not exactly news though; we've known they're terrible for reliability since they were introduced.
They mostly served to give individuals a false sense of security, and make it look like the government were actually doing something.

"best thrown in the bin" is overly harsh though; the small benefit they did provide (both individually and public health wise) was a lot better than the zero benefit of not using them. You do the best with the tools you have, even if they're not the best tools

Yes they are more a red light that peeps might have it (confirmed by PCR) then a green light that peeps 100% don't have it.

IIRC The stats are like 58% for asymptomatic cases being caught and around 72% of symptomatic cases.

But those stats must also depend on whether peeps actually swab their throat and nose correctly to get a sufficient sample.

Having done two myself I can testify they aren't the most comfortable. Having to do two weekly for the kids must be depressing.

So this may be my ignorance speaking, but is the fact that the delta variant is spreading quickly through a population that is largely vaccinated in someway actually very bad. My logic is that if it is going to mutate again here, which is possible, especially if it keeps being transmitted, then it is very likely that any mutation that succeeds will help it spread easier. The most obvious way would be a mutation that lets it get round the vaccine. Therefore not only did the government allow the delta variant in when it could have stopped it, it might also have helped create the perfect breeding ground for a vaccine resistant strain.

Anyone with more knowledge able to weigh in on this?

Saw this which goes some way to answering your question.

Things really open up here in California on Tuesday, June 15th. Professional sports will be allowed to fill their stadiums to full capacity for the first time in 15 months. Go Dodgers!

Things really open up here in California on Tuesday, June 15th. Professional sports will be allowed to fill their stadiums to full capacity for the first time in 15 months. Go Dodgers!
will there be a requirement for spectators to show they have been vaccinated or negative test?

How many cases are you getting a day in California?

If you don't mind me asking:
How many of your family have had a jab yet before catching Covid? And how is the vaccination program going in SA?

Only my parents had the first jab of the Pfizer vaccine as they are over 60 years old. But they got the jab 3 days before they tested positive, so the jab didn't work yet as it needs about 10 to 15 days to kick in.

The vaccinations are going slow and steady, I drive past the local public hospital everyday after work and there's always a queue full of people waiting in line to get vaccinated.

Our biggest problem at the moment is the FDA not approving the J&J vaccine, so we can't roll it out yet, even though we have millions of doses in storage. So at the moment we can only give the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccine, of which we have a limited supply.

With that said, I think we are also now in our third wave. The numbers have been climbing the past 2 weeks.

Latest posts