• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Are people actually not getting it out of fear of the short term side effects?
Stateside - yes, absolutely. Too many people living hand-to-mouth, who would starve if they had to take a few days off work, and that possibility is (or feels) much stronger than the possibility of being as ill or worse with the actual virus.
Not to mention transport issues, and time off work to actually get vaccinated.

Over here - much less so, but still plenty of feeling amongst the young that the side effects of the vaccine are worse than the effects (for them) of the virus. Basically, social media is full of people suffering and posting side effects (including myself in February) as those who don't suffer tens not to make a big deal of their not suffering. Meanwhile, the media has everyone talking about how infection in the young is 95% "mild". Alongside next to no understanding that "mild" in this case just means "didn't need to be hospitalised" - just like 999,996 cases out of a million for vaccine side-effects (but the 4 in a million chance of serious side effects was all they could talk about for a time - to the point that that vaccine isn't being made available to the young anyway)

Last edited:
I have to say, the thing thats scaring me a bit currently. We often hear that Vaccines are the key and personally i agree...but

My wife is the General Council of a big company...and she was telling me last night they they have had a significant number of complaints/questions from staff..."will i have to work next to someone who IS vaccinated", there are thousands of people out there that not only dont want to be vaccinated but are willing to fight to not have to work with people that are...thousands of people that own phones but wont use the check ins because they think the government is stealing their info when you check in, she said they had had to give some people company phones so they would check in but then not be tracked in their personal time...its all ******

Another reason for vaccine hesitancy.

I had to calm my sister down before she got her first jab. She was getting so nervous that she was on the verge of hyperventilating from the thought of getting a needle stuck in her arm after a very bad experience when she was younger.

Just taught her a meditation exercise to calm herself down and stay in the present moment and it worked.

I have to say, the thing thats scaring me a bit currently. We often hear that Vaccines are the key and personally i agree...but

My wife is the General Council of a big company...and she was telling me last night they they have had a significant number of complaints/questions from staff..."will i have to work next to someone who IS vaccinated", there are thousands of people out there that not only dont want to be vaccinated but are willing to fight to not have to work with people that are...thousands of people that own phones but wont use the check ins because they think the government is stealing their info when you check in, she said they had had to give some people company phones so they would check in but then not be tracked in their personal time...its all ******
I work with a guy like this (work with remotely). He's a genuinely very intelligent man, but he is going down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.

He's becoming convinced that the rest of us are infected by the vaccines, to the point where he's having arguments with his wife (vaccinated nurse), that if she keeps getting jabbed she will need to stay away from him.

It's the kind of thing that used to be 'only in America'.

It really is surprising when intelligent people fall for that kind of stuff. Use to work with a guy really smart engineer in late 50's and the amount of Brexit misinformation he use to spout was shocking. Stuff that could be debunked with a quick google search, like we'd be forced to take the Euro or we'd lose our veto.

You really wonder how they become so entrenched they'd believe anything.

The part I really struggle with, is when those entrenched beliefs are to the direct detriment of the person who holds them, but that is just brushed off.

The man from work is Nigerian, with an elderly mother in Lagos with failing health, who he talks about a lot and clearly misses badly. He must realise that by not getting a vaccine, he is reducing his chances of ever seeing her again.

USA just announced plans for boosters for immunocompromized. Looks like I'll be getting a third shot a month or so for now. I got my Pfizer's back in March/April and I definitely had the mental side effects.

I haven't thought much about this but I have a concern for New Zealand, who are currently rolling out vaccines, that we will open up our borders once we are vaccinated , causing issues for the immunocompromised who may not be as thoroughly protected, and I'm not sure if the vaccine prevents long covid? (Honestly m ow very little about this stuff, I'm not in line yet for a vaccine). It's not like the spread will be totally prevented given we will have anti- Vaxers, eg religious people. But I am also concerned even if we don't open up our borders that if covid gets in people will be complacent about social distancing, masks, cleaning hands, etc, if they are vaccinated. So maybe I'd prefer people dont get vaccinated, we keep our borders closed, and people remain careful when we do get cases.

I haven't thought much about this but I have a concern for New Zealand, who are currently rolling out vaccines, that we will open up our borders once we are vaccinated , causing issues for the immunocompromised who may not be as thoroughly protected, and I'm not sure if the vaccine prevents long covid? (Honestly m ow very little about this stuff, I'm not in line yet for a vaccine). It's not like the spread will be totally prevented given we will have anti- Vaxers, eg religious people. But I am also concerned even if we don't open up our borders that if covid gets in people will be complacent about social distancing, masks, cleaning hands, etc, if they are vaccinated. So maybe I'd prefer people dont get vaccinated, we keep our borders closed, and people remain careful when we do get cases.

The good thing is that with such a low population if Jacinda's Govt. can get their hands on 10-15 million doses of Pfizer/Moderna/AZ and J&J vaccines then NZ could be vaccinated in no time. If following a 3-4 week gap between two jabs. Although here in UK the 8 week jab has been shown to be more effective in terms of keeping the immunity at its optimum for longer.

J&J of course needing only 1 jab, but not sure how effective it is compared to the others.

But the question of opening up the countries borders and when is the decision of Jacinda's Govt. best to do it when at least 70% have been fully vaccinated. Hopefully Delta variant can be kept at bay as long as possible. That is the one spreading and requiring higher immunity levels in the population to keep cases from rising.

Starting from such a low base of infection anyway it would be interesting to see how much NZ's immunity in the population will be needed from vaccination alone to keep cases low enough to open up the borders again. It is inevitable that those who won't or can't be vaccinated will then catch the virus naturally.

Bojo's Govt, and the other Govts here are relying on a combo of immunity in the population being reached by both vaccination and natural infection. So far > 90% have the so called antibodies but we just don't know how long they will last for, although this doesn't take into account the effect on T cells to protect against infection. Boosters will be needed starting with the over 50s this Autumn.

Are peeps in NZ social distancing still, wearing masks indoors/crowded places atm?

I think in an ideal world a country would have started off with NZ's zero covid policy and then vaccinated as many peeps as possible. Make it mandatory if necessary before opening up the country's borders.

Last edited:
Been 3 days and just under 2 full days since Jab.

Arm feels like it's been punch hard and feeling more tired than usual, but haven't had any headaches etc and haven't had to take any painkillers.
Yuuuuuup, you, me and Olyy are going on a date! Hoping I'm the same, was on holidays this week and would feel fairly bad having to take sick days the week I come back.

No real reason to feel bad but it's still a fairly new job that'd be more anxiety than anything else.

Six EU states have now fully inoculated a larger share of their total populations with a coronavirus vaccine than the UK, after the bloc's dire initial rollout took off while Britain's impressive early jab rate has slumped.

According to government and health service figures collated by the online science publication Our World In Data, Malta, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Ireland have all overtaken the UK in terms of the percentages of their populations who are fully vaccinated.

Yeh I read that. But it doesn't mention the EU gap between 1st and 2nd doses. Assuming it's 3-4 week gap? UK still 8-12 weeks, which would explain the catch up. That and and convincing 18-30 to take up both jabs.

We see with Israel and have seen their cases rising despite 60% fully jabbed by Pfizer.

Yeh I read that. But it doesn't mention the EU gap between 1st and 2nd doses. Assuming it's 3-4 week gap? UK still 8-12 weeks, which would explain the catch up. That and and convincing 18-30 to take up both jabs.

We see with Israel and have seen their cases rising despite 60% fully jabbed by Pfizer.
Do we have supply or take up issues? The other week our vaccination center in town wasn't even open on the Saturday. I do wonder which it really is and it's not really being reported fro what I can see.

Do we have supply or take up issues? The other week our vaccination center in town wasn't even open on the Saturday. I do wonder which it really is and it's not really being reported fro what I can see.
I think it maybe a combo of both. Supply in that pfizer jabs are mostly being used for 18-30 and the stock they are currently using are reaching their use by date. Then there is perception with 18-30 age group that they either don't think they will get that ill with Covid or vaccine hesitancy reasons. I read that around third of this age group still have not had their first jab. Covid: When will teenagers get the jab and do I need a booster? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

Latest posts