• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

London has a pop density of 5,701 people per square kilometre
Sydney is 1,900 per km2
Melbourne is 2,037 per km2
can you break it down to suburbs? large subdivisions in the burbs will dilute the number from the city proper, i'm just talking from experience spending several years living in both, i have a smaller house with closer neighbours than i did in london

edit: when i google inner city densities it comes up with Melbourne at approx 20k people per sq/km and London about 11k people per sq/km

so the truth is probably somewhere in between, i realise european cities are much larger and and often very densely populated over large parts of it...but to just take population and divide by total area is not an accurate reflection of live in large parts of cities on this side of the world

Last edited:
As far as I remember, Melbourne has a very crowded city center, Sydney has also a crowded center in comparison with its almost desert suburbs (I stayed in suburb Randwick,for example). London is more "balanced" if we're talking about population density

i realise european cities are much larger and and often very densely populated over large parts of it...
It depends..Moscow is SUPER crowded and giant for example, but Warsaw is quite desert and small I'd say, London and Paris are somewhere in the middle

Crazy that they are pushing Ivermectin to prevent Covid in the right wing media in the US.

Not that it did much for this antivaxxer who decided to take aspirin, vitamin C and Ivermectin:

Most of those so called 'Christians' in America who are nothing more than fundamentalist extremists are barely any different from so called Islamist fundamentalists. None of them actually follow their religion properly and are hypocrites who use selective parts to further their agendas. Unfortunately, it's the nature of organised religion, in that it gives power to people and in the end they often end up as nothing more than religious 'politicians' (I mean they act like politicians within their religion', who seek to keep that power.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ke-hesitant-even-more-reluctant-to-get-jabbed

Vaccine passports will make hesitant people 'even more reluctant to get jabbed'

Data comes as No 10 vows to press on with plan to make vaccination a condition of entry for nightclubs

Imposing vaccine passports is likely to make hesitant people even more reluctant to get Covid jabs, research involving more than 16,000 people has found as Downing Street vowed to press ahead with the plan within a month.

The survey was carried out in April when most people were either unvaccinated or had received only one dose of a vaccine. It suggested the groups that are less likely to get vaccinated – including the young, non-white ethnicities and non-English speakers – also view vaccine passports less positively.

"This creates a risk of creating a divided society wherein the majority are relatively secure but there remain pockets of lower vaccination where outbreaks can still occur," the authors wrote in the paper, which is currently in preprint form.

The analysis involved 16,527 people, of whom 14,543 had not yet had both vaccine doses. In this group, the vast majority (87.8%) indicated their decision on being jabbed would not be affected by the introduction of passports.

However, of the remaining 12.2%, about two-thirds suggested they would be less likely to get vaccinated if passports were introduced, while the rest said they would be more inclined. Vaccine passports were viewed less negatively by this group if they were only required for international travel rather than domestic use.
Seems an odd conclusion to me, even though it's what the pure data (as of April) suggests - there is absolutely a wider discussion to be had.

88% said they would not be affected either way if vaccination were made a pre-requisite for clubs / holidays etc - the vast majority of the would have been intending to get vaccinated otherwise, most of the rest are probably lying to themselves when answering a hypothetical versus a real-world question with direct implications.
4% have said that introducing a vaccine passport will make them more likely to get the vaccine. In reality, this number is bound to be significantly higher - as demonstrated by other countries like France, who saw a massive increase in vaccination once passports were introduced.
8% are not vaccine-hesitant, they are anti-vaxx, and there is no reaching them.

The vaccine-hesitant, are hesitant - willing to be convinced. They "just" need the right encouragement to do the right thing; passports are a part of that.
Bowing to the demands of the 8% would be letting the perfect be the enemy of the achievable.

Last edited:
In a First, Randomized Study Shows That Masks Reduce COVID-19 Infections

A large study co-authored by Yale SOM's Jason Abaluck and Mushfiq Mobarak tested the effectiveness of a mask-promotion program in Bangladesh in increasing mask use and preventing symptomatic infections. The study found that masks significantly lower symptomatic infections, especially among older people and when surgical masks are used.

In the first weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, health authorities advised against the use of masks by the public, concerned about diverting supplies from healthcare workers and creating a false sense of security that would reduce compliance with public health recommendations like social distancing and hand washing. By April 2020, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control had reversed itself; in June, the World Health Organization followed suit. Masks were eventually adopted in much of the world. But evidence of the effectiveness of masks in preventing infection has been limited to lab experiments and healthcare settings.

Now, for the first time, a randomized trial has demonstrated the effectiveness of masks in preventing infection in a real-world community setting. A large study in Bangladesh, co-authored by Yale SOM's Jason Abaluck and Mushfiq Mobarak, found that a campaign to promote mask-wearing reduced symptomatic infections significantly, particularly among older people and those using surgical masks.

Pre-print paper: https://www.poverty-action.org/publ...-covid-19-cluster-randomized-trial-bangladesh

Last edited:

Pre-print paper: https://www.poverty-action.org/publ...-covid-19-cluster-randomized-trial-bangladesh
I may be cynical, but in terms of persuading people through data, I feel like they are pointless. Those who refuse to wear masks are already ignoring scientific evidence, so more won't change anything.

Latest posts