• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Well, last weekend, we had the family around for a BBQ - all except 1 niece (17) who was at a surfing festival with 50,000 other young people, with no social distancing and barely any hygiene, in an area already peaking in cases of Delta; albeit outdoors (boardfest in Newquay).

Out of my niece's group of 21, 21 are now symptomatic. Every other group they've been in contact with has 100% infection rate in the unvaccinated.

She doesn't know anyone who's been taken to hospital, and she's the worst from her group, she's says she's never felt so ill. She also says that it was well worth it.

Ask your niece in 8 months - 12m time whether it was worth it? If totally recovered and no symptoms then worth it as it was a booster pre being double jabbed.

Ask your niece in 8 months - 12m time whether it was worth it? If totally recovered and no symptoms then worth it as it was a booster pre being double jabbed.
Oh, I absolutely disagree with her that it was worth it. But then I'm 45,not 17, and have a much greater awareness of how my actions affect those 2, 3 & 4 degrees of separation away from me, and of longer term implications than the immediate.

Its also worthwhile to remember that children (and very young adults) have essentially been told for 18months that COVID has little effect on them personally and that everything was to protect older people. A 17 year old wasn't even going to have the vaccine until very recently and was 15/16 when this all kicked off.

Just saying its very hard to convince them what's best for them when you've been saying different for them a considerable amount of time.

Oh, I absolutely disagree with her that it was worth it. But then I'm 45,not 17, and have a much greater awareness of how my actions affect those 2, 3 & 4 degrees of separation away from me, and of longer term implications than the immediate.

Absolutely, to be that age and have her whole life in front of her. Forget how it was to feel that invulnerable.

Out of my niece's group of 21, 21 are now symptomatic. Every other group they've been in contact with has 100% infection rate in the unvaccinated.

She doesn't know anyone who's been taken to hospital, and she's the worst from her group, she's says she's never felt so ill. She also says that it was well worth it.
Interesting that 100% are symptomatic (IIRC would would expect 14 to be). I wonder if this is a function of the viral load.

According to Zoe's estimates, cases in Cornwall are up 10% or so over the past week having looked like levelling off / going into a slight decline about a week ago.

Interesting that 100% are symptomatic (IIRC would would expect 14 to be). I wonder if this is a function of the viral load.

According to Zoe's estimates, cases in Cornwall are up 10% or so over the past week having looked like levelling off / going into a slight decline about a week ago.
TBH 21 is too small a sample size to apply population level statistics to

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

To be expected really though we don't know yet the effect on T cells. Still holding firm against serious illness and hospitalisations.

Looks like for most of us double vaccinated, being naturally infected will be our booster shot unless you're over 50 and get your third jab this autumn.

To be expected really though we don't know yet the effect on T cells. Still holding firm against serious illness and hospitalisations.

Looks like for most of us double vaccinated, being naturally infected will be our booster shot unless you're over 50 and get your third jab this autumn.
I really hope we're not just going "over 50s" for the boosters. I can see the need for the clinically vulnerable; but it's far more important to get as much of the globe vaccinated once, than to get a random 53 year old boosted. Hell, it's far more important to get as much of the globe vaccinated twice than the healthy 50+s

Still crazy that 90 million Americans won't get vaccinated in the name of their personal freedom and choice.

Yep, ship their vaccines to countries who want and need them more.

So cases in Scotland have increased significantly because schools went back last week. So time to pre-empt cases rising in England when secondary school pupils return next week? Argument is that Covid won't seriously affect children of this age, but they can still spread it when they return home to adults even if they have been double jabbed. Or is them catching it/recovering from it equivalent to a booster shot?

Better to let them catch it and spread it. And instead pass excess doses to countries who need them - India, Australia, NZ, other third world countries to prevent delta mutating to evade vaccine efficacy.

Don't envy the choices of the JVCI.

Better to let them catch it and spread it. And instead pass excess doses to countries who need them - India, Australia, NZ, other third world countries to prevent delta mutating to evade vaccine efficacy.
Yeah, was reading a thread on twitter earlier from a....epidemicologist(? Whoever studies epidemics etc.) and they were saying that the emphasis needs to be on getting as many people jabbed, globally, before we're looking at boosters

Depressing reading #leaveourkidsalone on twitter because of goals to vaccinate those 12+

Latest posts