• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Good news y'all - this month, you can only catch covid from strangers

Cool I shall tell the 24 friends I'm meeting up in a couple of weekends time for where we'll be close proximity for most of it that we scrap our plans to take two LFT's the week before (the last must be within 48 hours of meting up).

Kaiser chiefs causing a bit of fury from anti vaxxers, saying they are causing divide in the nation.

The irony that a lot of those people are also firm hardline brexiters

all **** breaking loose in Melbourne

Construction work has been able to keep going during lockdowns, largely due to a hugely powerful Union, They brought in compulsory Vax for construction workers last week and the union has backed it as a way to keep their members working, violent protests outside the union headquarters yesterday and the government has responded by shutting down all construction for two weeks, straight up called their bluff....so now we might have 100k construction workers protesting in the streets today because they dont have work to go to....

Crazy stat. Still America's population was a lot less back in 1918/19 (c103m) compared to c.330m today. So as a % of population Spanish Flu killed a greater proportion.

But still with the advance in medical science and especially the vaccines since earlier this year, just nuts that so
Many Americans have died from it. As far as I know there was never a vaccine at the time for Spanish flu or it came much, much later.

1632205430035.png1632205468627.png

and here we go, thousands of tradies protesting including walking over the westgate bridge

and these are their demands

1632205546426.png

all because they had to give up their tea rooms (because they were small and poorly ventilated) and get vaxxed, pretty close to giving up

Just seen that 20% of Florida's COVID deaths have been in the last 30 days
Absolutely insane stat

To counter this they're looking to set about removing vaccine mandates for non-COVID vaccines as well - looking forward to seeing the polio numbers next year

It's becoming more difficult to see an end to this with cases, hospitalisations and deaths rising, while we've also got one of the highest vaccinations percentages in the world

What's the end goal? Hope it dies down enough to become like the annual flu wave? Except year round and effecting all ages and for far longer (don't think long-flu is a thing?)
It might be. cfs/me could be caused by any kind of virus, including the flu or common cold.
Also long covid seems to be an umbrella term overlapping with cfs but not the same as. For one, depending on whose cfs definition you choose, you are much more likely to recover from long covid, because sometimes long covid is something different to cfs. The worst of long covid is probably exactly the same as cfs, noting that cfs may (or may not) manifest differently depending on the cause. What is for certain is that the recognition long covid has holds great promise to those with cfs. Perhaps a cure will be developed for their lifelong disease (less than 5 per cent of people recover from cfs, and for those that do it's most likely because they have a different underlying disease, noting cfs is a symptom based diagnosis).

Last edited:
Just seen that 20% of Florida's COVID deaths have been in the last 30 days
Absolutely insane stat

To counter this they're looking to set about removing vaccine mandates for non-COVID vaccines as well - looking forward to seeing the polio numbers next year
What is the mindset that's driving this? Is it religious?

Contraryism? "If they're telling me to do it then I won't!"
Seen interviews with ex/current military figures, in America, saying they won't get a vaccine because it's against their FREEDOM - ignoring they get turned into pincushions in basic training as they're dosed up with every vaccine going

Turning it into a right vs left/us vs them argument will always rile people up - I just don't get why it ever needed to.
The right could've easily cashed in on the patriotism of doing something to protect fellow Americans, instead they went all in on your freedom to refuse medicine instead.

Religion certainly plays a part, but even that's a stretch/whack-jobs twisting things to fit their agenda as I've not seen any real religious leaders coming out against it (approved by the Pope, the Islamic Medical Council, Israel went all in on the vaccine so I'm guessing Judaic leaders have said it's fine) etc.

This far into the pandemic, I'm amazed that there hasn't been more analysis of what motivates conspiracy theorists. The BBC documentary about anti-vaxers was good, but it concerned one specific conspiracy theory, not the motives and psychology behind them in general.

The way I see it, at / near the top of the food chain, you've got the grifters - people who personally gain by propagating the theories, be it directly from donations or indirectly by raising their profile and increasing their audience. Some of this group actually believe what they're saying, for others, it's (terrible) opinions for clicks.

The more interesting group psychologically are the people who are taken in by the lies. I don't think it's as much of a stretch as it might first appear, people want to believe in things. From gods to ghosts, there are plenty of examples of people believing things to be true that nobody can prove with any rigour, which have been normalised over time to the extent that they are accepted by society. On that basis, it's not so unbleievable that people could believe in lizard people, evil 5g masts or Bill Gates' nano-trackers. My feeling that people's willingness to get on the latest band wagon stems from feelings of dissatisfaction and / or inadequacy. Not happy with where you are in life? It's not your fault, it's the Jewish peadophile collective keeping you down. Got no opinions to discuss with others on important subjects? Assume moral highground over those sheeple by becoming one of the few in the know about how nano-trackers exploded your cousin's friend's gonads.

This far into the pandemic, I'm amazed that there hasn't been more analysis of what motivates conspiracy theorists. The BBC documentary about anti-vaxers was good, but it concerned one specific conspiracy theory, not the motives and psychology behind them in general.

The way I see it, at / near the top of the food chain, you've got the grifters - people who personally gain by propagating the theories, be it directly from donations or indirectly by raising their profile and increasing their audience. Some of this group actually believe what they're saying, for others, it's (terrible) opinions for clicks.

The more interesting group psychologically are the people who are taken in by the lies. I don't think it's as much of a stretch as it might first appear, people want to believe in things. From gods to ghosts, there are plenty of examples of people believing things to be true that nobody can prove with any rigour, which have been normalised over time to the extent that they are accepted by society. On that basis, it's not so unbleievable that people could believe in lizard people, evil 5g masts or Bill Gates' nano-trackers. My feeling that people's willingness to get on the latest band wagon stems from feelings of dissatisfaction and / or inadequacy. Not happy with where you are in life? It's not your fault, it's the Jewish peadophile collective keeping you down. Got no opinions to discuss with others on important subjects? Assume moral highground over those sheeple by becoming one of the few in the know about how nano-trackers exploded your cousin's friend's gonads.

Yep, it's a lack of a sense of belonging and identity which as the world has become more globalised has made certain groups of people insecure imo.

The easy answers offered by conspiracy theories and the attraction of being part of a special group in the know. Trust in Government and lack of leadership in communities is at an all time low.

I also think conspiracy theories have spread even faster in our day and age what with social media.

Yep, it's a lack of a sense of belonging and identity which as the world has become more globalised has made certain groups of people insecure imo.

The easy answers offered by conspiracy theories and the attraction of being part of a special group in the know. Trust in Government and lack of leadership in communities is at an all time low.

I also think conspiracy theories have spread even faster in our day and age what with social media.
All good points. I hadn't really considered the sense of belonging aspect, but you're absolutely right. You're only a click or two away from communities that will accept you just because you buy into the same nonsense that they do. I fell down a rabbit hole earlier this year trying to find out what I could about a fruit loop called Tobe Hayden Leigh who tried to break out his friend who was busy in hospital trying to die of covid. In hindsight the sense of community among those who are heavily into this stuff is really strong. The other thing that came across is quite how childish these people are, a lot of the videos I came across reminded me of young kids in a playground roleplaying, except the protagonists are (physically) fully grown and have (apparently) convinced themselves that they're some sort of freedom fighters taking down the forces of evil as if they're in a cartoon.

Latest posts