• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Scottish fatalities peaked last year from Jan 10th to Jan 17th, so I expect this week to be the toughest for Europe before hopefully improving. Some more sad figures today, but in line with the very bad flu of 2017/18 and hospitalisations have been steady for the past week.

Some more sad figures today, but in line with the very bad flu of 2017/18 and hospitalisations have been steady for the past week.
Just got to pull you up on this one.
The UK's daily death rate from Covid is currently (more or less) in line with the half-year death rate from Flu 2017-2018

Sources:
UK Covid daily death rate: 335 as of results posted today
2017-2018 flu epidemic: confirmed influenza were reported across the UK from week 40 2017 to week 15 2018, including 372 deaths,

Just got to pull you up on this one.
The UK's daily death rate from Covid is currently (more or less) in line with the half-year death rate from Flu 2017-2018

Sources:
UK Covid daily death rate: 335 as of results posted today
2017-2018 flu epidemic: confirmed influenza were reported across the UK from week 40 2017 to week 15 2018, including 372 deaths,
You are quite right fo query things. I'm going off the BBC report below i posted earlier stating daily deaths of 300 during that flu which is in line with the figures of 20,000 deaths during that winter. It also includes a link to another report from the time explaining how the health service was struggling.

The issue is that figures are not recorded the same for flu as with Covid-19, with most likely flu related deaths being categorised as pneumonia. It is pneumonia plus flu that brings the 20k figure which I roughly translate to around 200 deaths per day during the seasonal flu period (say 3.5 months in winter = 100 days).

There is debate around this matter, and I don't have the stats to hand, but I read that 70-80% of vulnerable age groups receive the flu vaccine. My argument is that it is difficult to consider that the health service would progress a mass vaccination policy as that if they truly considered there would only be 300 or so deaths (in a bad year) annually over the main flu months, it wouldn't seem very proportionate. I'd assume that the annual mass flu vaccination programme is in response to consideration that 20k flu deaths in a year is a possibility.

As I understand there is no appeal against the decision itself only Judicial review. But looks like Novak will probably still try and invoke some kind of appeal this weekend. But it makes sense why this Alex Hawke took so long to reach it.

I'm assuming they've spent time getting their legal arguments sorted. Also almost any other judge is likely to be less neutral than the previous one who couldn't handle it that precious little Novak was treated exactly the same as thousands of other refugees.

Yes, they should do. I think that's why they took so long after the court on Monday reinstated the visa on procedural grounds that he wasn't given enough time to reply. This time it's an exercise of ministerial power that only this Immigration minister can exercise.

But surely he must withdraw from the tournament. He's brought the sport into disrepute and the circus shouldn't be continue to distract from the tournament. TA has a lot to answer and probably lying low as they will likely going to get sued by Novak, Renata Voracova plus other official told to leave.

When does the Australian Open start?
Surely by the time he's got his judicial review sorted it'll all be over?

When does the Australian Open start?
Surely by the time he's got his judicial review sorted it'll all be over?
AO starts on Monday.

That's what I am following at the moment. Supposedly a Judge could grant him a bridging visa, but not sure atm if it would carry any working rights to play in the AO.

Oh it's the same judge...

He's wants this over with quickly, probably because he has a bet on Djokovic.

So Novak entering detention tomorrow at an undisclosed location agreed by both parties. To avoid media circus. Judge Kelly to publish reasons on Saturday. Per BBC.

Ridiculous he could still play on Monday if the decision to deport him is overturned. He's brought the entire sport into disrepute and made it all about him. TA should chuck him out, but they won't.

Oh it's the same judge...
How can it be the same judge? Isn't he looking at whether he got it right first time around?
Does that make it as much a foregone conclusion as asking #10 to investigate whether #10 has broken any rules or not?

How can it be the same judge? Isn't he looking at whether he got it right first time around?
Does that make it as much a foregone conclusion as asking #10 to investigate whether #10 has broken any rules or not?

It was the same judge, but he said he doesn't have the jurisdiction to rule on this and it's getting bumped up to a Federal court.
Not a foregone conclusion unless Federal court can grant Novak an injunction as far as I can tell and a bridging visa. But whether that bridging visa confers him the right to play next week is not clear.

Dunno how it works, but it is the same judge.

Here is the first legal challenge: Judge Anthony Kelly plainly agreed. He described Djokovic several times as "incommunicado", without his phone and access to help.

Here is the current legal challenge: At an emergency late-night court hearing shortly after the decision was announced on Friday, Judge Anthony Kelly ruled that Djokovic cannot be deported while the appeal proceedings are happening. An appeal hearing is expected on Sunday.

It's been so long since I studied Judicial Review in English law but I recall it really is very limited in how much scope judges can strike down the exercise of power. It is only available on certain grounds. Novak's lawyers are arguing on the minister reached his decision "irrationally" .

I read it was a judge o'callaghan that will be making the final decision.

Seems like Kelly wasn't hearing the appeal of his own case but rather an appeal of a deportation order?

I doubt a judge would overturn a political decision unless it clearly violated established procedure or law. Or unless the judge is a hack.

Latest posts