• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Your missing the point, I'm not trying to to say the UK government did a great job. That these countries people are holding as bastions of doing well are not great comparisons as they had advantages based on population, geography, style of governance or pure raw money.

I think we're saying the same thing from different directions.

I'm saying the UK govt cannot use the excuse that the reason its so bad here compared to New Zealand is due to low population density - as other places with higher population densities did better.

If people want to compare us they should be looking at places like Germany or France where we get shat upon.

Exactly. No matter what way Boris and his bumbling minions cut it - they've done a sh!te job.

To be fair - did anyone think otherwise?
I would've thought the idea of a single person starting the outbreak a little bit farfetched - especially with how busy our major airports are, and with it kicking off around Christmas time (so increased travel for holidays, increased travel for foreign students etc.)

Yeh, but at least it's been confirmed now with some large scale science behind it. Over 1300 times is pretty staggering really.

Fatty's doing today's media update. Guess there must be good news to announce on the lockdown easing front. He usually gets the juicy stuff to give his approval ratings a boost.

Social bubbles which honestly should of been part of the plan weeks ago.

God what is with this country and ******* listening comprehension....

He clearly states a single person and another household (with no qualifications) and everyone's on twitter saying it must be another single household.

can i just make one point re Nz's population density argument, yes, we dont have anywhere near the the extent of terraced housing etc but the major cities are still that, major cities with apartment buildings and medium density housing (less than Europe).

Yes, you can very roughly equate the other all size of nz to that of GB but a scary percent of that is unpopulated...people didnt go out and live in fields or the forest during lockdown

other arguments like being so isolated sure, valid, small overall population so "easier" go govern centrally, sure valid....but we're not 5m people spread out evenly on farms

6tmkakgwqt211.jpg

Yeh, but at least it's been confirmed now with some large scale science behind it. Over 1300 times is pretty staggering really.
The article saying that around 80% of those were during March when they were dithering around lockdown.

Also they've been saying that they didn't bother with border controls as the number of cases wouldn't have been material in the overall scheme of things, yet reading that article it sounds like early border controls were precisely what were needed.

Might be right up there with care homes as one of the big scandals.

My wife to be is a hospital nurse, but has so far been able to work from home, running her clinic through telephone appointments. With the dining table and my old PC that I hadn't got around to scrapping serving as her office.

She is right now watching a live stream briefing that is telling her that from Monday all hospital staff are required to wear a mask while on site. All staff, all day. Even admin staff sat behind a desk in a back office.

If this is needed now, why not for the last three months when there were more cases? The only answer the presenters can give is "national guidelines".

She is right now watching a live stream briefing that is telling her that from Monday all hospital staff are required to wear a mask while on site. All staff, all day. Even admin staff sat behind a desk in a back office.
My friend did some quite excellent research on spread of the virus within hospitals

https://www.gosh.nhs.uk/news/resear...entKwQDpRCR1MA0F-RGTXyTKDbNQFZLr_hiTbBBXb77o4

She was utterly ****** of at this measure and pretty peeved she had to write the guidelines for it. Its been gone over in this thread before but masks unless you are properly trained and they are properly fitted don't really make any of advanatages some are claiming. Once behavioral factors almost any gain is lost.

But your wifes hospital has to do what the government tells them but this is definitely a political decision rather than a medical one.

Same briefing; the hospital currently has 3-5 days stock of masks. Awesome.

How the government can even try to pretend it's done a good job with PPE is beyond me. I can kinda get that at the start they didn't have all the facts and made a poor decision, but in this area it's clear what's needed and they have just been useless.

I got a phone call from the dentist today, was meant to get some work done at the end of March but obviously that never happened.

For my 6.15 appointment on Tuesday I need to ring an hour in advance to ensure they're on schedule and then when I arrive ring again to ensure no other patient is in the office and allow them to sterilise the room completely. I found it very interesting, and it's things like this that make me think the virus won't make a grand comeback here.

One thing that is frustrating me is that we don't release our active number of cases with any regularity, we were at 754 on the third of June and now the number is 837 which is all of the new cases since. It's a strangely vital stat that's being deprived of us for no discernible reason.

White House now trying to blame Mexico for the spike in Coronavirus cases... This lot are so shameless

White House now trying to blame Mexico for the spike in Coronavirus cases... This lot are so shameless
I'm more concerned with our response to statues with covering them up (which IMO makes them more of a target) and government telling people not to protest. It gives me a very uncomfortable feeling even if I think things like the Cenotaph shouldn't be touched in a billion years.

This background of whilst we condemn China and Hong Kong for their reaction.

Latest posts