• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Just went back home from the office. They really put this temperature machine near the entrance, it was unusual, although no one cares about "social distancing", especially those colleagues of mine who seat very close to me..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just went back home from the office. They really put this temperature machine near the entrance, it was unusual, although no one cares about "social distancing", especially those colleagues of mine who seat very close to me..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is there no Covid safe plan in your office?

Covid 19 cases are at an all time high here in California and the Grocery Workers Union decided to stop paying their workers the extra two dollars an hour "battle pay" that they've been paying them the past couple of months. These workers truly are putting their lives on the line to keep us fed and their own union that's suppose to have their backs just shot them in their's. :rolleyes: I don't work at a grocery store, but it seems to me that the right thing to do is to keep paying them that extra money until the Covid 19 cases are on a decrease, not an increase.

Yup given a chance the virus seams to run riot and I'd much rather be in an NZ type situation where warning can be given. The UK (government) seams to want to push the limits of what can be done. A mixture of just the right measures and a significant amount of people still following more stronger measures seams to be holding it at bay minus some outbreaks in high population areas. But it does feel like we are on the edge rather than in control.

Over here, it's a bit of a joke.

We've had a ban on tobacco products since 1 April and an Alcohol Ban too, which was lifted for about 2 weeks and then re-introduced as it created a lot more work for the hospitals.

Yet there are no limitations on the amount of people using our public transport minibus system, and they are stacked in there like a can of sardines.

We have a 9pm curfew and you are not allowed to visit friends or famliy at their home, but you can have a sit down dinner at a restaurant.

Some things makes absolutely no sense, and there is a growing suspicion that our government is using this pandemic to fill their own personal coffers. As it appears that our Minister of Co-operative governance, Mrs. Dhlamini-Zuma (ex-wife of our former president) has a majority share in a company that makes illegal tobacco products which people are still managing to buy freely from black market sources for an exorbitant amount.

why ban those things? i feel like im missing something

So the ban on cigarettes is because our government is of the opinion that people who smoke, generally share their cigarette with others, and the transfer of saliva between people is a direct way to spread the virus.

The ban on alcohol is mostly due to the same reason as cigarettes, but also because the consumption of alcohol causes more car accidents, which causes more patients going to hospitals. They are trying to prevent an overflow of patients at hospitals.

Yet, strangely enough, they sent all the doctors from Cuba back home, and there were over 5000 of them in South Africa...

So the ban on cigarettes is because our government is of the opinion that people who smoke, generally share their cigarette with others, and the transfer of saliva between people is a direct way to spread the virus.

The ban on alcohol is mostly due to the same reason as cigarettes, but also because the consumption of alcohol causes more car accidents, which causes more patients going to hospitals. They are trying to prevent an overflow of patients at hospitals.

Yet, strangely enough, they sent all the doctors from Cuba back home, and there were over 5000 of them in South Africa...
ok, that kind of makes some sense, a bit of a different approach

ok, that kind of makes some sense, a bit of a different approach

in a way yes.

But the illegal cigarette industry is now flourishing. There are videos showing masses of Zimbabweans are running with boxes of illegal cigarettes across the border between SA and Zimbabwe. And I see all the people who are smokers in our office still smoking the regular amount of cigarettes than they did pre-lockdown. The worst part is, they are paying triple the price they usually paid for cigarettes.

in a way yes.

But the illegal cigarette industry is now flourishing. There are videos showing masses of Zimbabweans are running with boxes of illegal cigarettes across the border between SA and Zimbabwe. And I see all the people who are smokers in our office still smoking the regular amount of cigarettes than they did pre-lockdown. The worst part is, they are paying triple the price they usually paid for cigarettes.
so pretty short sighted then, not fully thought through

in a way yes.

So how much tax money is your government not getting in conjunction with this?

So from tomorrow in England shops you have to wear a mask (unless you fall under the exceptions) In shops. Be interesting how they enforce it or how many people will falsely claim breathing difficulties.

So from tomorrow in England shops you have to wear a mask (unless you fall under the exceptions) In shops. Be interesting how they enforce it or how many people will falsely claim breathing difficulties.
What I find more amazing is the amount of people not already wearing one. Went to an Ikea yesterday (don't loads of stuff is out of stock) and think it was about 25% were masked up.

What I find more amazing is the amount of people not already wearing one. Went to an Ikea yesterday (don't loads of stuff is out of stock) and think it was about 25% were masked up.

bigger stores I have been to like the big Tescos in my local town I would estimate about 20% were masked up. The smaller shops like Tesco express and Wenzels only me and elderly shoppers were wearing them.

Young workmen who get their breakfast from Wenzels were the worst none of them wore masks.

Tesco express staff and one or two wearing masks as they stocked up shelves. Or not wearing them; just hanging around the on their chin.

yeah I can see a lot of arguments breaking out and being filmed and getting onto Twitter/YouTube. Still it's just a matter of getting used to it. Feel bad for shops who will suffer from peeps just not turning up to shops if they have to wear one.

So how much tax money is your government not getting in conjunction with this?

Ha!

Well we do have the "sin tax" on Alcohol and Cigarettes which they are not getting, plus the Value Added Tax of 15% they're not getting.

BUT

and here is the kicker, the people in Government are still getting paid because they have shares in the illegal tobacco companies that are operating out of Zimbabwe... Well, the Zuma family does, and they "own" nearly 75% of the people in government...

Only saw four people without masks on in the supermarket earlier, and three of those were a gaggle of chavs.

Weirdly barely any staff were - considering a couple of months ago they were all masked and shielded up etc

Had to go for a blood test today at the hospital and they wouldn't let me wear my own mask even though it was new and in a ziplock bag. Had to gel up and use the one handed to me.

but outside each entrance there was a tent and person waiting to hand them out and ask the questions. Still don't get why I am asked if I have been in contact with anyone with COVID? Well does that include asyptomatic people who don't know themselves if they are infected?

Surprisingly my temperature wasn't taken this time whereas it was last time.

I heard I lost a client from COVID who was in his 80s. Very sad. He was a really lovely gentleman.

Last edited:

Latest posts