• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] - Things to do when under lockdown

I have been learning Malay as a lockdown challenge in what spare time I have. It's the first time I have tried a non-European language and it is giving me a lot of very positive insights into a culture about which I previously knew little. The vocabulary is much more difficult than the grammar, which is relatively straightforward once you get used to a totally different word order.

The Malay word for Rugby is ragbi and Rugby player is pemain ragbi.

all right, not so much something to do during lockdown...but something not to do inspired by being lockdown for so long

joined the local club preseason training a few weeks ago, during lockdown I got pretty lonely and thought it would have been good to have a few more local mates to catch up with even if at distance

last time I played for a club was uni 21 years ago and I turned 40 the other week, really did forget how much of a step up it is going from casual/social sport to proper club with 20 years olds hoping to go profressional

**** im sore

#powerhouserugby
so.....i forgot about the bruises..so many bruises, already taken a wee knock to the head and had to sit out the contact sessions late night, add too that the fact the back of the lineout seems a lot further away than i remember....

I let my ego get the better of me and started an MSc in January.

Main assessment for the first module is due in Monday.

It's 20yrs since I was last at uni and it shows. And last time I didn't have a full-time job to distract me.

I'm sure the social life was better than this last time though.
Good luck! May I ask what subject the MSc is?

Engineering management at Leeds.
That sounds great - both the Engineering Management and Leeds. I used to spend a lot of time in Yorkshire and although I'm a Southerner (and a Londoner to boot) it's my favourite county. I have a lot of friends up there, including Leeds. Are you a Yorkshireman or an incomer?

I have always admired engineers as I'm from a social sciences background.

Neither, I'm from and in Staffordshire. I've spent quite a bit of time in some parts of Yorkshire, but I've probably only been to Leeds twice in my life

It's all delivered online and is actually very well set up. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has a spare 20-30hrs a week...

Neither, I'm from and in Staffordshire. I've spent quite a bit of time in some parts of Yorkshire, but I've probably only been to Leeds twice in my life

It's all delivered online and is actually very well set up. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has a spare 20-30hrs a week...
For us down here it's still 'The North'! Joking aside, it's a sort of mix of West Midlands (which swallowed a lot of the county) and North West (the Potteries). It's another really nice place to visit where everyone's friendly and welcoming!

So..for those interested...my late run for the all blacks has come to an abrupt end after and epic 15mins with no lost line outs and a charge down to my name....due to a blown mcl and acl..."I said you were too old" - my wife

lockdown/work from home now a good thing as will be in a knee brace for 6-8 weeks

So..for those interested...my late run for the all blacks has come to an abrupt end after and epic 15mins with no lost line outs and a charge down to my name....due to a blown mcl and acl..."I said you were too old" - my wife

lockdown/work from home now a good thing as will be in a knee brace for 6-8 weeks
Jesus, that's tough. Good luck with the recovery

Ash Dixon doesn't know how lucky he is.

Best of luck with the recovery.

Good recovery to you,mate! :(
And you are not old!!

The Malay word for Rugby is ragbi
Same in Russian language: ragbi instead of rugby (I don't know why, though)

Really sorry to hear that. On the plus side, your rehab will give you a new thing to do!

One thing this covid mess has done is given me the push to try and save up to do a year of non stop travelling, even if it's like 2/3 years of saving to do it comfortably (and hopefully the world might have some normality back in it).
I'm planning for a pretty big trip to NZ late next year on vaguely the same grounds. Made a decision we probably won't go away this year so can do something far bigger next year.

I just want to go to Japan again, but it's gonna be end of 2022 before they open up again at this rate :(

Anyone back in office yet?
I start a new job next week which is full time in office - definintely going to miss working from home but I'm quite looking forward to the novelty of....leaving my house.
As much as I enjoy working from home I can definitely feel myself becoming a bit of a hermit/enjoying the solitude a little too much
Hopefully they'll do mixed office/work from home in the future, but I'm glad it's in office for at least the start - when I was job hunting I was a bit cautious about starting somewhere new completely remotely - learning their systems etc. would be a nightmare

Latest posts