• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

One day stuff really is not cricket but are very enjoyable for those with a short attention span!!!!!!!!!

Test cricket is great for the purists, but I love both shorter forms of the game. Teams just have to go for it, and it can set up some thrilling finishes. The BBL this year had a tonne of games that went down to the last over and it was just brilliant viewing. There's still plenty of tactical nous involved, just not as much as test cricket.

One day stuff really is not cricket but are very enjoyable for those with a short attention span!!!!!!!!!

Test cricket is the best. That's where you really see skill and mental strength.

- - - Updated - - -

From next month there will be plenty of test cricket, basically until the end of the year. Can't wait :)

Test cricket is great for the purists, but I love both shorter forms of the game. Teams just have to go for it, and it can set up some thrilling finishes. The BBL this year had a tonne of games that went down to the last over and it was just brilliant viewing. There's still plenty of tactical nous involved, just not as much as test cricket.

I think Australia in particular has done a great job with it's own ODI league (KFC big bash or whatever) and the entertainment it puts on. The player's interaction with the commentary, the on field entertainment, music, crowd attendance, etc. Definitely a good one to take the kids/family along to.

I enjoy test cricket for different reasons. It's a much bigger psychological test. Although I usually need to have breaks and read or do something as it's on the telly. Bit dull non-stop all day.

What this World Cup has proven that despite the IPL's best efforts 50 Over ODI's are not a dying format and have a place in the game. I love Test and 4 day cricket, can happily sit all day watching every ball weather thats on TV or at the ground (although my visits to Taunton have been limited over the last few seasons), although this upcoming Ashes tour I may not be so generous

T20 has its place aswell but not to the detriment of Test, County or ODI's

Chris Gayle is playing for us this season in T20 that'll be worth the trip!

Too much for me to get a train there and back from Bristol, plus match tickets for 2-3 hours worth. Plus I'd probably be working on the T20 games, more likley be down for a 50 over or a day or 2 of 4 day

What this World Cup has proven that despite the IPL's best efforts 50 Over ODI's are not a dying format and have a place in the game. I love Test and 4 day cricket, can happily sit all day watching every ball weather thats on TV or at the ground

Same here :)

Have a feeling Aus might take it. Going to be packed tomorrow at the MCG.

Australia win the World Cup. Boring....

New Zealand should've won it for the advancement of the game.

Pretty guttered about that. Never felt like we fired a shot, other than the early wicket of Finch and Elliot's good innings. But Australia are deserved winners for sure. A different beast at home and have been playing well all tournament. Well done to them.

There are still plenty of benefits that our cricket takes away from this, it may take a couple of days to settle down and grasp the full appreciation of them though. But NZ is very proud of the boys and how they've surprised right throughout.

Australia win the World Cup. Boring....

New Zealand should've won it for the advancement of the game.

You gotta earn it mate. I would have been happy to see the Kiwis win in all honesty, but as an Aussie it's pretty awesome living through what has effectively been a world cup dynasty with an intermission.

It was a brutal performance by Australia. Astonishing that with a field more competitive than that offered by the Rugby World Cup (and has offered more winners since its inception) Australia has managed to maintain such an incredible dominance over the tournament for such a long time.

That England and South Africa - both of whom have spent their fair share of time ranked no.1 in the short form and long form of the game - haven't ever managed to win a single ***le shows how tough it is, and speaks volumes of just how incredible Australia's depth and composure is in the sport.

Gotta give credit where it's due - this isn't like the Rugby League World Cup; there's plenty of teams who can win it if they get their act together and don't fold.

The bowling attack by the Assies was fearsome, brutal, perfect. The one thing that happened for NZ throughout the tournament, happened today as well. Every game you had one player stepping up as the winning batsman, where today we needed more people to bat the perfect game. Low chasing score so AUs were the better team.

Congratulations to Australia.

This World Cup has been a great experience for me as a very, very occasional follower of cricket and bandwagon supporter. My bandwagon was on full flight. I learned:

- How to casually blend into cricket conversations casually.
- Recalling what the commentators say and then repeat it later.
- Shunning people who didn't watch the cricket.
- Make casual and occasionally nonsensical references to the cricket when talking about something else.
- Talk about players I know almost nothing about - but start with "well that's typical XXXX, for you". Even better if you can try and throw some terminology in there.

And the best part is - the disappointment doesn't linger like a true fan. I'm already pretty over it. I'm everything I'll hate come September..

I'm stoked we won. Our bowlers set the tone and our batting was as good as it has been all tournament. NZ should still be proud of their team, it's their best result ever and no doubt the 2 best teams met in the final, you can't ask for more than that.

I've seen a few nasty comments and pics about Australians on the internet which is an absolute disgrace. I'm guessing these are the same people who are OK with the All Blacks winning 12 Bledisloe Cups in a row.

I'm stoked we won. Our bowlers set the tone and our batting was as good as it has been all tournament. NZ should still be proud of their team, it's their best result ever and no doubt the 2 best teams met in the final, you can't ask for more than that.

I've seen a few nasty comments and pics about Australians on the internet which is an absolute disgrace. I'm guessing these are the same people who are OK with the All Blacks winning 12 Bledisloe Cups in a row.

I haven't seen anyone saying Aussie were undeserving, only some comments on the poor sledging, Banter whilst playing is definitely part of the game...after you've got someone out is unnecessary

you cant argue with how clinical that performance was, but i cant help thinking it would have meant more if someone else had managed to get up, a bit anticlimactic, just another world cup for Aussie, five of the last six...

Yeah, bit of crap coming from both sides to be honest mate. Some of the Kiwi jornos just need to let it go and stop being whiney by pointing out such irrelevant things. And as for some Aussies; some of the cockiness is laughable and the sportsmanship equally poor. But that's the internet for you.

Still disappointed personally, but nowhere near the levels as I would be for a Rugby World Cup. I have been an occasional cricket watcher up until now, but I'd love to start learning more and watching more. I would say there are about 5 teams who could win the rugby world cup if they stepped up on their day, with Ireland now also entering the fray and Wales with the ability to spin out some surprises. Not quite the element of openness of who could win it as Cricket, but still not too bad.

I haven't seen anyone saying Aussie were undeserving, only some comments on the poor sledging, Banter whilst playing is definitely part of the game...after you've got someone out is unnecessary

you cant argue with how clinical that performance was, but i cant help thinking it would have meant more if someone else had managed to get up, a bit anticlimactic, just another world cup for Aussie, five of the last six...

It's 4 from the last 5, but true mate, a bit of variety is always good.

But by the same token cricket isn't like Rugby League where Australia is the only place where it's a genuinely big deal; Cricket is a bloody competitive sport worldwide – arguable the cricket world cup has had more genuine ***le contenders than Rugby's World Cup has thanks to its incredible footprint in the subcontinent, which have provided 3 of the 5 countries that have lifted the trophy. With that in mind I'm happy to see us dominate whilst we can because the field is certain to catch us…

Dominance generally occurs in eras, and can't last forever, so I'm just happy to have lived through us dominating the game in a way that few national sides can manage in genuinely big international competitions.

You never know - with the way the All Blacks are going they could win 3 RWCs on the trot and we'll be having this same conversation about them in another 5 years.