• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

Normal service resumed. Sandpaper apart, I really wish Steve Smith was English. Top class.
Not the most exciting cricketer in the world, but damn he's consistent.

Oh, and htf does a leg spinner bowl a no ball?!

Excitement's overrated.

He'd better take advantage of his life sponsorship from Specsavers sooner rather than later.

This cricket thread is awfully quiet today!

I wonder why that is?

Deserved win for Australia really.

England need a lot of change, Root is a poor captain and Englands are missing out on a potentially great batsman as well because of it.

Because a game where Australia were in the ascendency throughout meandered to them winning?

Nowt to say really they've been on top all series, England are in the more in regards to test cricket have been for a while. Nothing really is going to change until the new coach is put in place.

I am not a huge cricket fan, but I could tell the minute Steve Smith came back it was back to advantage to Australia.

1st test - 144 & 142 (MOTM)
2nd test - 92 (after being concussed) and DNB
3rd test - stood down for concussion
4th test - 211 and 82 (MOTM)

Clearly, all the boorish behaviour of a small group of England fans had a bad effect on him... bad for England

1st test - 144 & 142 (MOTM)
2nd test - 92 (after being concussed) and DNB
3rd test - stood down for concussion
4th test - 211 and 82 (MOTM)

Clearly, all the boorish behaviour of a small group of England fans had a bad effect on him... bad for England
Or, you know, he's good

Or, you know, he's good
Test average of 64.8 suggest he's no number 11.

Honestly much of the discussion yesterday was that English players are not doing enough to rile him up and just being too passive. For instance he doesn't like the non-striker in his sight line, so stick a couple of catchers in there. Try to hurry him up. Y'know usual stuff when a Batsman has clear ticks.

Stokes and Smith have been the difference this series for both sides, they'd both look pretty oridinary without them. England are also lacking a third strike seamer.

The only good thing from this series is Burns is actually coming along as an opener and Denly is showing some promise.

Overall this is what most England fans expected this series we simply are not a good test side currently with huge trouble in the batting department. Reliant on a Broad masterclass really to win games (Stokes miracles aside). I think Root has shown he's not a Captain problem is we don't have anyone to turn to.

Test average of 64.8 suggest he's no number 11.

Honestly much of the discussion yesterday was that English players are not doing enough to rile him up and just being too passive. For instance he doesn't like the non-striker in his sight line, so stick a couple of catchers in there. Try to hurry him up. Y'know usual stuff when a Batsman has clear ticks.
I think sensible intelligent cricketers know that a player of that calibre you can't break his concentration. You don't get to average 64 if you can be sledged out, quite simply. If anything, lowering the intensity makes it more likely his mind will wander.

But really, it seems like SS was just on it in a way that even the very very best only are a couple of times in a career at most. I honestly think there is basically nothing England could have done

Anyone watching the england black caps game?

I don't understand how, but I failed to realise england was in New Zealand until the end of day 2 of the test.

So I looked it up and saw england win a t20 series 3-2 by winning a super over at the end of a tied decider. Wtf england?

I don't understand how, but I failed to realise england was in New Zealand until the end of day 2 of the test.

So I looked it up and saw england win a t20 series 3-2 by winning a super over at the end of a tied decider. Wtf england?

Yeah we're arseholes...

I spent a lovely couple of hours yesterday watching Santas Little Helper get his 100 and Watling get his 200

I spent a lovely couple of hours yesterday watching Santas Little Helper get his 100 and Watling get his 200
While listening to the alternative commentary?

easy batting wicket but kudos for both of them because it still takes effort to maintain concentration and discipline for that long.
5 and a half hours befor Santander got his century, and watling for 11 hours (not sure if that was total or to get his double). And apparently watling refrained from risking a pull shot fro the vast majority of his innings

While listening to the alternative commentary?

easy batting wicket but kudos for both of them because it still takes effort to maintain concentration and discipline for that long.
5 and a half hours befor Santander got his century, and watling for 11 hours (not sure if that was total or to get his double). And apparently watling refrained from risking a pull shot fro the vast majority of his innings

I wasn't actually, couldn't be bothered syncing it up with the TV

England's second inning suggests its not as easy batting out there as we might have thought !

edit: listening to the ACC at work...two wickets to go!

Last edited:
England's inability to cope with being under pressure continues. There is a serious mental problem with them and being required to stay in rather than scoring runs.

England's inability to cope with being under pressure continues. There is a serious mental problem with them and being required to stay in rather than scoring runs.

I think it's a leadership issue. Joe Root has been looking extremely fragile the past couple of tests. That, plus the frequent changes as to the opening pair of batsmen in tests. The team doesn't get settled properly because of the pressure they are being put under because their captain and opening batsmen aren't in the best mental place they are supposed to be, and that is getting funnelled through to every player in the squad.

Got my tickets to the MCC for the boxing day test...very much looking forward to it now

Latest posts