• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

Well that was beyond humiliating. Ashes gone.

And a scarcely believable 6 for 7 from 4 overs for 32 year old debutant Scott Boland.

Silverwood surely toast. Root's captaincy is poor and if he has an ounce of common sense he'll step down to concentrate on his batting. No one obvious to replace him which is just one of a shedload of issues that have been brutally exposed.
Yeah, was atrocious batting from England - they were far too tentative, poor technique, were basically glued to the crease using hard hands, so no surprise so many of them got a nick to the keeper or slips... got to be a lot more positive, move the feet, get in line with the ball, when defending have to use soft hands so there's a lot less chance of the ball carrying to slips.

Root & our bloke Kane Williamson are both poor captains - in 20/20, you can't really apply too many tactics, just have to rely on your bowlers landing it in good areas, each bowler will only bowl 1 or 2 in a row at most, unless they continue to take wickets... it's in ODI's & especially test matches captains need be really smart tactically.
In Tests Root & Williamson let the game drift by allowing the other teams to work the ball too easily for singles, instead in those situations they need to be proactive in their bowling options & field settings too, whether that's having a couple of close in fieldsmen around the bat, or blocking off the singles etc, only have to be proactive for a very short period if it doesn't work, you lose nothing, just go back to the traditional field settings, if you manage stop the flow of runs keep those field settings in place as long as possible, which creates more chances of taking wickets.

Pretty damning all round... 2021 has not been a great year for English sport. Not sure what it is about English teams and having this ability to just utterly collapse and haul in a ton of negative records in some years, both rugby and cricket teams have done it in the same year.

Yeah, was atrocious batting from England - they were far too tentative, poor technique, were basically glued to the crease using hard hands, so no surprise so many of them got a nick to the keeper or slips... got to be a lot more positive, move the feet, get in line with the ball, when defending have to use soft hands so there's a lot less chance of the ball carrying to slips.

Root & our bloke Kane Williamson are both poor captains - in 20/20, you can't really apply too many tactics, just have to rely on your bowlers landing it in good areas, each bowler will only bowl 1 or 2 in a row at most, unless they continue to take wickets... it's in ODI's & especially test matches captains need be really smart tactically.
In Tests Root & Williamson let the game drift by allowing the other teams to work the ball too easily for singles, instead in those situations they need to be proactive in their bowling options & field settings too, whether that's having a couple of close in fieldsmen around the bat, or blocking off the singles etc, only have to be proactive for a very short period if it doesn't work, you lose nothing, just go back to the traditional field settings, if you manage stop the flow of runs keep those field settings in place as long as possible, which creates more chances of taking wickets.

Another excellent innings from Conway.

Another excellent innings from Conway.
That's for sure, Conway's had some outstanding innings early in his test career... has shown he's a big asset in the short forms too, like all the top batsmen he looks to have plenty of time to play his shots.

That's for sure, Conway's had some outstanding innings early in his test career... has shown he's a big asset in the short forms too, like all the top batsmen he looks to have plenty of time to play his shots.

He looks like a magnificent batsman. What I wouldn't give to have someone of his quality in the England team who can take some of the burden off Root.

He looks like a magnificent batsman. What I wouldn't give to have someone of his quality in the England team who can take some of the burden off Root.
Reckon the England batsmen will perform heaps better in the next test if they can show much more composure & better technique at the crease - need to play in a more positive manner too, not saying they have to over attack, batting in a positive manner could be just good solid defending, don't get tentative... then a lot of the pressure would come off Root & England should be able to get good partnerships going, therefore score bigger totals.

C7..jpg

Everyone in NZ was expecting a pretty easy win over the Banglas in the 1st Test, instead we're having a shocker in our own backyard - we only lead by 17 with 5 wickets remaining going into the last day, so need to bat close to two sessions to try & get a draw... going to be clear blue sky again & about 30, so not going to be saved by the rain, would rather we showed plenty of guts & mental toughness & batted our way out of it anyway.

Last edited:
Well deserved win to the Banglas - Pretty obvious our coach & players thought they'd won this test before it had even started against a team that are near the bottom of the test rankings, that's the worst possible mindset you can get into playing in any sport, we definitely performed like it, hardly fired a bloody shot... the batting was poor & we bowled both sides of the wicket.
Our coach & players have to bloody redeem themselves in the 2nd test.

Lost for words on this, part of the great Australian side that was so much part of my Cricketing childhood. Just a complete shock.

Just read that. Utter shock. The word genius is bandied around way too easily but it applies without reservation to Warne. One of a kind.

Terrible few days for Australian cricket with the loss of another great in Rodney Marsh. He was a different generation but 74's still too soon.

I don't know much of Warne as a human but I always enjoyed seeing a bowler, away from the Indian subcontinent's spin friendly wickets, and with a legit action, making a career and excelling at spin. I'd be interested who the second best non-Indian sunbcontinent spin bowler is and how close their strike rate was to Warne.

I don't know much of Warne as a human but I always enjoyed seeing a bowler, away from the Indian subcontinent's spin friendly wickets, and with a legit action, making a career and excelling at spin. I'd be interested who the second best non-Indian sunbcontinent spin bowler is and how close their strike rate was to Warne.
Nathan Lyon and nowhere near close or skilled. Vittorri is even further behind.

No other non sub cobtinent spinners managed 300 wickets. Swann is probably the best I've seen come close but he only has 255 wickets mainly due to blossoming in his career late.

I bloody love Joe Root. I'd even go as far as giving him a kiss on the forehead.

I bloody love Joe Root. I'd even go as far as giving him a kiss on the forehead.
Averaged low 30's in the Ashes debarcle which was overshadowed by everyone other than Bairstow being even worse!

Now hits a ton on a roads in West Indies like he did in Sri Lanka last year which boosts his average.

Sorry he just never scores runs when it matters against top opposition and is pretty much a flat track bully against weak attacks. He's the best we've got but the bar is pretty low, I'd take Cook, Strauss, & Trescothick over him any day of the week. I'd probably get a Trott or Pietersen in before him too.

His captaincy leaves a lot to be desired as well especially his treatment of spinners.

Averaged low 30's in the Ashes debarcle which was overshadowed by everyone other than Bairstow being even worse!

Now hits a ton on a roads in West Indies like he did in Sri Lanka last year which boosts his average.

Sorry he just never scores runs when it matters against top opposition and is pretty much a flat track bully against weak attacks. He's the best we've got but the bar is pretty low, I'd take Cook, Strauss, & Trescothick over him any day of the week. I'd probably get a Trott or Pietersen in before him too.

His captaincy leaves a lot to be desired as well especially his treatment of spinners.

Did you completely miss the series with India last summer?

Latest posts